The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One, new download process, "at least for me"

Paul2660

Placing this here as I don't see that much traffic in the "software" forum for C1 issues.

Just wanted to give a heads up, as it appears the old way, (which worked for the last 15 or so years), no longer works for downloading C1.

You have to go to The complete photo editing software solution | Capture One and login. If you try the old way which is the way it worked for 15 years, by going to Phase One and logging it, you may get an error, which implies your trial has run out and you need to purchase a new license.

There has been nothing I can tell to show this process and how you are supposed to navigate the PhaseOne/CaptureOne process, that I am aware of.

So here is my exact scenario.

1. Wanted to upgrade from 20.0 to 20.0.4. I have a perpetual license installed on 20.0, thus I should be able to upgrade to any new version of C1 20.
2. Went to the Phase One site, and tried the NORMAL process of downloading C1 upgrades, by logging in, and was told "your trial has expired, you can either purchase or upgrade".
3. After about 20 to 30 minutes of going back and forth on the site, a pop up box appeared stating "We have a new site, www.captureone.com", and I headed there.
4. First 3 attempts brought up a bad URL, then finally The complete photo editing software solution | Capture One loaded.
5. Go through the same process of logging in, and you can get past the "your trial has expired" BS and actually download the update.

I FULLY understand what's going on in the world right now, saw it coming before many. However if you are going to change a process that has been in effect for 15 years, for a production piece of software, PLEASE, add something to your website, or send an email to allow users to understand what's going on. Support for any type of software is very limited right now, but changing a fundamental process of downloading just an update IMO is a mistake, without adding any explanation.

The entire process of licencing C1 IMO has gone south, started with version 20, which did not upgrade from 12 the same way, then trying to install C1 DB became somewhat of mess, (no longer can select DB from installation menu have to get a license code a process that was not straight forward either.

So many folks may have already updates to 20.0.4, but I am sure when the next update comes out, the process will be just like what occurred today, just wanted to give a heads up.

Paul C

DougDolde

The so called "old way" just worked fine for me. I used the "check for updates" within C1 and downloaded the file. I had to login but not as you describe

Paul2660

No, I have been in lockdown since late January. I saw this coming, and expected the response from the US would be what it was.

However, I bothers me that Phase One makes these types of changes, to a simple process for downloading updates, and just wanted to pass this on to others.

Note, on this machine I had 20.0 installed, and after I finally got 20.0.4 downloaded, after the installation, the software asked for the activation code again, which has never happened before.

My main reason for needing 20.0 is that since 20.2, the "open with" feature which included the "edit with" plugin is broken in C1 for many windows 10 machines, mine included.

Phase has known about since Jan 10, but so far has not been able to fix this. I use the "edit with" feature in my workflow and had dropped back to 20.0 briefly.

Paul C

Paul2660

Whatever.

Glad it’s working for the rest.

Personally I am tired of putting up with the constant bugs and issues from C1

Regression testing is something that should be done before any update.

Current issues with the open with plug in for windows 10 machines is another example. Known issue since Jan 2020 with Phase. Broken since 20.0.2 release for many users including myself.

Paul C

baudolino

But Paul no one else is seeing this. How do you explain that?
I can see that the update process is a bit different than before but I don't see a problem. Checked the available updates from the software itself, clicked on the link, logged in, downloaded the latest version and installed it. Was not asked for license code or anything and it works.