The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

fat pixel digital backs

jotloob

Subscriber Member
New to me Hasselblad CFV16 Digital back by Nokton48, on Flickr

I've wanted this CFV16 Hasselblad Digital Back for over twenty years. This one came along at a decent price and now it's mine.
Fat Pixels and Beautiful Colors, this is a coveted Hasselblad item. And it matches up perfectly to my 500C/M and 500 EL/M bodies. Kinda like shooting Kodachrome.
I envy you for that CFV16 back . I owned one , loved it , but traded it later in for a CFV39 . Today , I think , that was a mistake , but can not undo that .

Nokton48

I envy you for that CFV16 back . I owned one , loved it , but traded it later in for a CFV39 . Today , I think , that was a mistake , but can not undo that .
Thanks for that Jurgen! I'm really having FUN shooting with this. In fact I'm filling in some holes in terms of my vintage "V" black lenses, just got nice 50 T*, 150 T*, and 500 Opton Oberkochen. All used but not abused. I'm on the fence about getting the 250mm F5.6 T*, eventually I will probably not resist. The 250mm f5.6 Achromat is out of my reach. Amazing how these great olde lenses are not that expensive, except for the Achromat.

Nokton48

Hello NOKTON

Here a family portrait of the ancestors of the lenses you desire for your V-System .
All are in very good condition . They fit the HB 1600 and 1000F .

View attachment 206305
Wow. Absolutely pristine collection. Thanks for showing this :) I must confess that I have always wanted a 1000F (since young) but I must resist. It is another slippery slope.

Last edited:

Nokton48

500mm Oberkochen 500ELM CFV16 EI 200 EV 14.5 by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is the first test of the 500mm F8 Oberkochen Opton Hasselblad lens. EL/M Body with Olde Hasselblad CDS Meter Prism indicated EV14.5. Set that on the lens, this is the result. Hasselblad CFV16 Digital Back set to Ei 200, camera/lens mounted on a Plaubel Peco 2 Way Head, attached to sturdy Manfrotto legs. The pretty new Magnolia tree is our yard was blowing visibly, the 500mm shutter seems to have frozen it, there was a lot of leaf movment in the breeze. It is fun to play with the new digital back and I am loving the saturated colors I'm getting. Hasselblad says it's the fat pixels, but also how much space is around each pixel. Anyways I'm loving the color right out of the camera. Shooting distance was 28 feet, the absolute minimum focus distance on the lens. So I will add extension tubes if needed.

Nokton48

Broncolor Impaspot Impact 41 CFV16 60 Dist by Nokton48, on Flickr

Rebuilding an Olde Broncolor Impaspot; in fact I have two of them. And now a Visatec (Broncolor Wedding and Portrait Division) 1600B Monolight 1600J strobe. Hasselblad 500C/M 60mm F3.5 Zeiss Distagon C T* CFV16 Digital Back. An olde crusty Acetate Mask needs to be reprinted and made clean. But the effect of this olde mask is kind of cool IMO. Olde Broncolor strobe spotlights are fun to play with :)

Nokton48

Hasselblads For Events by Nokton48, on Flickr

I used to use these cameras at Events. Now I have rebuilt them, updated somewhat. On the left, 25th Anniversary signed Hasselblad 500C/M, now updated for today, with the CFV16 Hasselblad Digital Back. Introduced in 2007 and produces great results right out of the camera. Super Uber Easy to Use, Very Friendly. On the right is my 500EL/M loaded with 220 B&W Shanghai. Back in the day I would use FUJI EI 800 Color Neg. The EL/M has my new to me 120mm F5.6 S-Planar C T* with Masked Compendium Hood. Noisy but draws attention in a good way. Plan to shoot a few events with these. The camera on the left has the 80mm F2.8 C T* Zeiss Planar.

Nokton48

How does the back communicate with the shutter?
"the Imacon CFV will work cable less on most models as it uses the plunger between body and back for activation".

Hasselblad marketed this first version back to owners of older "V" cameras. Fits like a regular film back with no cables, which attracted me to it, I've searched for several decades for this one.

Last edited:

Nokton48

Santa Test 1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

I'm shooting a Santa Event Saturday with my Hasselblad CFV16 on my 500C/M. Met the Group and took this test photo, focusing on the background. Taking extra batteries, cards, and a backup digital camera. So this is it. I'm doing this as a means for them to promote their event. Should be thirty to sixty kids. That's a lot!

This is the 50mm Distagon, lighting on Stroboframe Vivitar 283. I used Manual on the flash and shot at F6.3 and also F4.5, back ISO was EI200. High ceiling in here, extra Duracell Max batteries on hand, to speed recycling. A 32 gig card holds 335 images, one card should be plenty. At the end of the event, I hand off the card, and photos are emailed to each family. Planning to do two shots of each, no more than three.

Nokton48

CFV16 Card Adapter with 32 gig Micro Cards Reader by Nokton48, on Flickr

I bought the CF Card Adapter from the UK (bought two of them). The 32 gig Micro Cards were $8 each at the local Walmart. Each one came with a microSDXC Adapter, which neatly stores the micro cards in this repurposed metal storage case. Have regular CF cards too, I been warned to use the Adapter, it's easier on the pins inside the back.

It's been pointed out to me that the above shot is not really sharp. I will switch to a Magnifying Hood, and a Focusing Screen made for the CFV16, with focus aides. Will test all that later today. It is kinds dark in there, especially with an F4 lens. And after changing to the CFV16 Screen, and reshooting a test on the red 283 setting, everything is good now. The 50mm f4 is hard to focus with the central cross standard screen. Looks sharp blown up on my PC.

Last edited: