The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Feel sorry for the Moroccan Berbers suffering from the earthquake in the Atlas Mountains

algrove

Not too many years ago I made a conscious effort to meet many Berbers who lived then under difficult conditions high up on the Atlas Mountain s. I could only communicate with images printed onto a Fuji printer. We did not speak a common language accept at times some knew French, but most I could not communicate with well. They are lovely people who welcomed me into their homes and always offered me a meal. I ended up assembling a book of my travels there and many copies circulate in Morocco today._XTB0796.jpg_XTB0848print1-1Bob.jpg_XTB0817topsh.jpg_XTB0641topsh.jpg_XTB0594.jpg

dave.gt

Wow, the Atlas Mountains are quite remote and barren from looking at the maps. But the people look friendly and comfortable with having their pictures taken. Nice work, Lou!🙂

At first thought I asked myself why would anyone go up into the Atlas Mountains?

I think I have my answer.👍

algrove

Long story Dave, but I must say the small Fuji printer I took along bridged the gap immediately since they had never seen themselves in a photograph. It all started while having bread and homemade butter. My iPhone rang as Verizon was trying to sell me cell time. The ring startled even me, but then I had to show them my phone. No one had even a land line phone in this village. Then my wife suggested I take her picture with my phone and it all began as we passed my phone around the room. I had not even tried to take my camera out of its bag yet. Everyone wanted the person next to them to take their picture. It was infectious. Then out came my tiny XT-3. I motioned to the man for his approval and he nodded yes. I had 4 boxes of Instax film and ran out.

Last edited:

biglouis

Long story Dave, but I must say the small Fuji printer I took along bridged the gap immediately since they had never seen themselves in a photograph. It all started while having bread and homemade butter. My iPhone rang as Verizon was trying to sell me cell time. The ring startled even me, but then I had to show them my phone. No one had even a land line phone in this village. Then my wife suggested I take her picture with my phone and it all began as we passed my phone around the room. I had not even tried to take my camera out of its bag yet. Everyone wanted the person next to them to take their picture. It was infectious. Then out came my tiny XT-3. I motioned to the man for his approval and he nodded yes. I had 4 boxes of Instax film and ran out.
What a great story and the photographs are outstanding. Sounds like a life affirming experience: thanks for sharing the photos and the recollection.

algrove

I have so many good memories while meeting total strangers up in the Atlas Mountains.

I remember coming around a curve in the road to see 3 people cutting grass in a rock strewn field. Just looking at them made my back hurt. It turned out it was the mother (who had lost her husband), one son and his wife doing the cutting that day with hand sickles. I did not see another brother behind a large rock outgrowth cooking their lunch. He came over to us and spoke French so I was in luck. He was cooking curry chicken in a pot over open coals. He insisted we share their lunch. I felt so guilty, but one must say yes so we offered melons and fruit we had with us for them. Then after a fabulous lunch he made coffee which was the best I had during the 4 week stay in Morocco. I still remember him breaking off a huge chunk of sugar from their homemade cane sugar lump and tossing it into the coffee pot. They had to haul the cuttings about 4 kilometers to their home where they fed the goats, etc. I'll try to dig out some images from that encounter._XTB1049topsh2.jpg

Last edited:

algrove

We came up to a village and the auto road just dead ended. As we got out of the car and I saw these two women coming toward us. I shot them from the hip and then noticed they took the steps up to the hilltop houses. I followed them until they went into their house. The goats were inside. I walked the trail for nearly a mile up and down steep grades past their house. Way into my climb a young boy started to follow me and gestured he wanted me to take his photo. I realize I had one print left in the printer and gave him the photo you see here of him standing in front of a building. He followed me all the way back to the car where I had left the printer.

_XTB1140.jpg
_XTB1141print1.jpg
_XTB1147print1topsh.jpg
_XTB1149topsh.jpg
_XTB1196.jpg
_XTB1252topsh.jpg
_XTB1236best-topsh.jpg
As one can see from these images any earthquake could bring down any structure especially the ones built into the hillsides.