The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with 4/3rds cameras/ Image Thread

biglouis

I'm still getting to grips with OM-1 and 100-400 lens which I have switched to for wildlife, primarily birding. The weather in the UK has not been conducive to bird photography and it didn't help that although I had the opportunity to photograph buzzards and kites a few days ago, my lack of understanding of pro-cap meant I was not using C_AF and as a result most of the photographs were not worth sharing (and of those that did come out, I know I can do better now I understand the camera a bit better).

I have had better luck in my own back garden. Just before I bought the camera we moved to a different part of London and although many of the birds are common, I never had Jackdaws in my garden before, so that has been a treat (my favourite Corvid).

Body and lens are very comfortable and I am discovering so many well thought out features as far as button layout and functions. One major, major change over my X-H2S is that the playback button falls below the thumb (where it should on any camera) as opposed to the other side of the body on X-H2S which is just plain useless. I don't want to knock the X-H2S but the OM-1 body feels a lot more professional rather than prosumer. Another pleasant surprise, compared to my previous m43rds body, the G9 I owned over four years ago, is that I can recover very usable photos up to iso12800 after passing them through PureRAW2 (perhaps I could do that with my old G9 files, as well but I steered well clear of using it above iso3200).

The only negative so far is that the colour science of the OM-1 is not as good as the Fuji. It may be I have set something up wrong or I need to adjust something but greens appear to me to be bright and oversaturated. If anyone has advice on that point I'd welcome it.

_C300123-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

_C300315-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

_C300413-ORF_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpg

AlanS

The only negative so far is that the colour science of the OM-1 is not as good as the Fuji. It may be I have set something up wrong or I need to adjust something but greens appear to me to be bright and oversaturated. If anyone has advice on that point I'd welcome it.
I use Cobalt profiles for my Lumix S1 and EM-1 mk3 and find they are a much better starting point to process in Lightroom. I don't yet have have them for my new OM-1 but will be getting them shortly.
I have just had a look at Cobalt vs Camera std and Adobe std (with my EM-1 mk3) and the camera std seems far too saturated, Adobe is better with Cobalt the most natural. Unfortunately you can't try before you buy and they are not particularly cheap either but I am a happy customer! (no affiliation with them at all).
Hope this helps Louis.
Cobalt-Image.com

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One major, major change over my X-H2S is that the playback button falls below the thumb (where it should on any camera) as opposed to the other side of the body on X-H2S which is just plain useless.
Exactly! Why many (most?) camera manufacturers don't get this is beyond me. This is one of the reasons why I still hold on to my two GX8 bodies and a G85. Being able to check that I actually got the "moment" i aimed for, through the viewfinder, in a fraction of a second and without having to move my left hand is to me vital. If I can't do that, I might as well use an SLR (joking... a little bit).

biglouis

Exactly! Why many (most?) camera manufacturers don't get this is beyond me. This is one of the reasons why I still hold on to my two GX8 bodies and a G85. Being able to check that I actually got the "moment" i aimed for, through the viewfinder, in a fraction of a second and without having to move my left hand is to me vital. If I can't do that, I might as well use an SLR (joking... a little bit).
I thought it was only me! In fact it is even worse if like me you are mainly using a zoom or large telephoto. On the X-H2S in the end I mapped one of the button near the shutter so I could use my index finger to review images. Otherwise, I would have had to move my hand across my face to get to the playback button on that body. Sheer madness!

biglouis

I use Cobalt profiles for my Lumix S1 and EM-1 mk3 and find they are a much better starting point to process in Lightroom. I don't yet have have them for my new OM-1 but will be getting them shortly.
I have just had a look at Cobalt vs Camera std and Adobe std (with my EM-1 mk3) and the camera std seems far too saturated, Adobe is better with Cobalt the most natural. Unfortunately you can't try before you buy and they are not particularly cheap either but I am a happy customer! (no affiliation with them at all).
Hope this helps Louis.
Cobalt-Image.com
Thanks, I will definitely check them out. Or now I come to think of it, I may just experiment with my own presets. Either way, thanks for the info.