The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Haag

So I just got a Pentax 120mm and I am trying to learn a little bit about macro photography. I picked some dry grass, but I believe I did not take enough images to get everything sharp or my technique was bad? Any tips on macro would be greatly appreciated, I would love to see some images with details on your capture.

GFX 100s adapted Pentax 120mm 15 images stacked using Helicon
Grass w 120 Pentax-2.jpg

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Last June I was in the area. We drove from Vancouver, WA to Goldendale for a family reunion. I had intended to return specifically for photos with the turbines, but ran out of time.
Welcome to my world. I live in Vancouver WA on the Columbia River and at the end of the gorge.

GrahamWelland

Full disclosure: I removed the wind turbines from the above images. Many new turbines have been constructed in my local area, with considerable controversy. Whatever your opinion, good or bad or both, they certainly change the landscape.View attachment 201027
Hard to avoid, especially the further east you go in the gorge where we have hundreds of them literally.

Good? Bad? You decide. At least the farmers have ATMs on their land, so you can understand the appeal if you have the land.

GrahamWelland

So I just got a Pentax 120mm and I am trying to learn a little bit about macro photography. I picked some dry grass, but I believe I did not take enough images to get everything sharp or my technique was bad? Any tips on macro would be greatly appreciated, I would love to see some images with details on your capture.

View attachment 201130
That is a beautiful image. Nicely done. A big print of this would be very special.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

View attachment 201130
I love this look.
When I focus stack flowers, I usually end up using less than half of the images - those that highlight a petal edge, for instance. This was a Pentax 645 120 macro on a Sony A7 II.

1BBB97D5-1D9E-4ADA-BF4E-59A5BB0233BE.jpeg

Last edited:

Greg Haag

I love this look.
When I focus stack flowers, I usually end up using less than half of the images - those that highlight a petal edge, for instance. This was a Pentax 645 120 macro on a Sony A7 II.

View attachment 201132
Beautiful image Matt! Are you focus stacking in Helicon? If so, do you find a particular method and setting to work best? Part of my mistake may be that I did not cull any images like you mentioned. I simply tweaked the first file in Lightroom synced the rest then output as jpegs and focused stacked in Helicon.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Beautiful image Matt! Are you focus stacking in Helicon? If so, do you find a particular method and setting to work best? Part of my mistake may be that I did not cull any images like you mentioned. I simply tweaked the first file in Lightroom synced the rest then output as jpegs and focused stacked in Helicon.
Helicon, yes. I forget the details. The hard part of focus stacking post for me was editing near boundaries and things like stem crossings, which is another good reason to leave some parts OOF.
More recently, I’ve found PS to do a good enough job, but only if it gets it right on the first try.

Greg Haag

I am on a macro kick as I try to learn how, so I find myself looking for opportunities/excuses to shoot those type of images. It was drizzling this morning and as I walk into the side entrance to my office I saw this plant with drops on it. Lots of things I am still struggling with on macros.

GFX 100s Pentax 120 Fujifilm MCEX-18G extension tube 14 images stacked in Helicon Focus
Plant by Side Door-Edit.jpg

AlanS

Nice job Greg, these sorts of complex 3d shapes can be very testing for the s/w to blend. I am sure you are going to enjoy the challenge! :cool:

Greg Haag

Nice job Greg, these sorts of complex 3d shapes can be very testing for the s/w to blend. I am sure you are going to enjoy the challenge! :cool:
Thank you Alan! Right now there is so much I do not know. I am playing around with number of exposures and blend methods to see if I can make improvements.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Not really MACRO , but lets say "half macro" . I can't remember the distance between the camera and the model , as far as I remember , roughly 40cm .
Camera : ARCA SWISS F-LINE METRIC , Rodenstock APO MACRO SIRONAR 120mm with Prontor Professional shutter , CFV II 50c digital back . Aperture f8.
7 images stacked with HELICON FOCUS .

@@ D VIII WORK 01.@@.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.