The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 50R: develop raw images?

gurtch

New user here. I made a few snapshots, and found Adobe Camera Raw (I have Photoshop CS6) will not open the files. Also, my DXO Optics Pro does not either. What do you experienced users use? I resorted to downloading a free CaptureOne Express for Fujifilm. I really do not want to learn another program, but I managed to convert the RAF raw files to TIFF so I can use them. My usual work flow is to view the raw files in Adobe Bridge, make a note as to which ones I want to work on, and convert in DXO, or Photoshop via camera raw.
Thanks
Dave in NJ

ejpeiker

ACR for CS6 will never support the files. DXO should at some point. You could use the latest Adobe's DNG converter and convert the files to DNG and then use CS6 and ACR the way you always have.

gurtch

ACR for CS6 will never support the files. DXO should at some point. You could use the latest Adobe's DNG converter and convert the files to DNG and then use CS6 and ACR the way you always have.
Thanks. I will down load DNG converter and try it. DXO site says they will support GFX 50R around 4/2019.
Dave

gurtch

Still struggling with Work Flow. My old system was to copy RAW files from card to my hard drive for permanent storage and archiving. Then I would open that folder in Bridge, and decide which RAW files I would convert and further work on them in Photoshop (Camera Raw converts them as you open them, and gives you options for lens corrections, contrast, saturation, etc, etc. The 50R RAF files cannot be opened in my version of Photoshop (CS6). I did download Adobe DNG Converter. I can copy all the RAW files I just archived into DNG Converter and it will convert the RAFs into DNGs, and leave the RAF, so there are two raw files of each image (hard drive space waster). Is there any need to save the RAF if I have a DNG? Here is my disappointment: Photoshop, Bridge, and DXO Optics Pro, will not preview RAF files. BUT Windows File Browser does the opposite: it DOES preview with thumbnails RAFs but NOT DNG thumbnails! And here is the biggest disappointment of all. When I opened the DNGs in Photoshop's Cameras Raw, there are no lens corrections available for the GFX 23mm and 32-64mm Fuji lenses. In the 50R setup I chose to allow the camera to make lens corrections. But they are not available in ACR. Are they done automatically? I down loaded the free version of Capture 1 for Fuji. There is a learning curve which I have not attempted. I tried it on a few RAFs and I converted therm to TIFs, but saw no options for lens corrections. Worst case scenario: Because of my confusion, I end up with three images of each shot: RAF, DNF, and TIF.
I am also going to post this in several places, such as the Fuji section.
TIA
Dave in NJ.....Happy New Year!

ejpeiker

Still struggling with Work Flow. My old system was to copy RAW files from card to my hard drive for permanent storage and archiving. Then I would open that folder in Bridge, and decide which RAW files I would convert and further work on them in Photoshop (Camera Raw converts them as you open them, and gives you options for lens corrections, contrast, saturation, etc, etc. The 50R RAF files cannot be opened in my version of Photoshop (CS6). I did download Adobe DNG Converter. I can copy all the RAW files I just archived into DNG Converter and it will convert the RAFs into DNGs, and leave the RAF, so there are two raw files of each image (hard drive space waster). Is there any need to save the RAF if I have a DNG? Here is my disappointment: Photoshop, Bridge, and DXO Optics Pro, will not preview RAF files. BUT Windows File Browser does the opposite: it DOES preview with thumbnails RAFs but NOT DNG thumbnails! And here is the biggest disappointment of all. When I opened the DNGs in Photoshop's Cameras Raw, there are no lens corrections available for the GFX 23mm and 32-64mm Fuji lenses. In the 50R setup I chose to allow the camera to make lens corrections. But they are not available in ACR. Are they done automatically? I down loaded the free version of Capture 1 for Fuji. There is a learning curve which I have not attempted. I tried it on a few RAFs and I converted therm to TIFs, but saw no options for lens corrections. Worst case scenario: Because of my confusion, I end up with three images of each shot: RAF, DNF, and TIF.
I am also going to post this in several places, such as the Fuji section.
TIA
Dave in NJ.....Happy New Year!
There's no free lunch. You are trying to shoehorn a new camera into software that is many years out of date so you are going to have to sacrifice something unless you change your mind about adopting new software. In my opinion, Capture One is the way to go for managing your images and doing the RAW conversion and then you can continue to use CS6 the way you always have. C1 has all the lens profiles.

There are of course other options that can natively process your 50R RAW files.

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'm biased and self-interested in saying it, but I think it would be pretty widely agreed Capture One is really the way to go. Fuji agreed, which is why they paid Phase One big money to have access to C1 for the GFX. Raw files are just that: very raw. Depending on the raw processor you use you'll end up with quite different color, tonality, and detail/sharpness. As well, each raw processor has considerably different toolsets. This is much more than a decision about what software is compatible; it's a decision about which software will get the most out of your raw files, and get you there the fastest.

There are lots of free tutorials and webinars at https://learn.phaseone.com/

If you prefer in-person instructions you might consider our Capture One classes

kdphotography

+1 for Capture One Pro!

I was using ACR because C1 was not available at the time to process my Fuji GFX raws. I limped along and it was "okay." I was hoping Phase was going to announce its own mirrorless or "mini-me XF" answer but instead they simply opened up C1 to Fuji. And that alone has made using the Fuji so much more usable and enjoyable. :thumbup:

I guess I saved money by not having to purchase a Phase mirror-less option:rolleyes: and instead can use that money to upgrade to an IQ4 150. :ROTFL:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Pete ...

Nothing major ... tried all the expensive DAM software in the past and gave up ... no raw support ... buggy implementation ... sold out to another
label ... so LR is the catalogue I use ...

C1 to render ... TIFFs to PS ... then import the results to LR.

No keywords ... just camera lens and date metadata ... but I edit and purge with a passion ... so only 10K files to
deal with ... over 47 years.

At my age ... it will all be gone in a couple of decades ... but works for my needs at the present time.

Regards and best for the coming New Year.

Bob

PeterA

Hi Pete ...

Nothing major ... tried all the expensive DAM software in the past and gave up ... no raw support ... buggy implementation ... sold out to another
label ... so LR is the catalogue I use ...

C1 to render ... TIFFs to PS ... then import the results to LR.

No keywords ... just camera lens and date metadata ... but I edit and purge with a passion ... so only 10K files to
deal with ... over 47 years.

At my age ... it will all be gone in a couple of decades ... but works for my needs at the present time.

Regards and best for the coming New Year.

Bob
Thanks Bob - yes it is the missing link in a lot of RAW/PP software - apparently Luminar is bringing on a full DAM capaibility during 2019 FWIW - but Adobe is clever in the way it bundles PS/LR for photographers....LR like it or not is a very good cataloguing device if nothing else purposefully 'choked down' so as not to overlap too much with PS...add full PS functionality of adjustment layers to LR and a lot of reason for PS disappears...

All the best to you and yours for the New Year and onwards.
Pete

PeterA

Pardon my ignorance. What does "DAM" stand for.
Sorry.
Thanks
Dave
DAM is an anacronym for Digital Asset Management eg LR's "Library Mode" where one can actually store and view/see all their photos ( digital assets) and filter/sort through them etc etc..

at th ened of the day wether one has 100,1000,10,000 or 100,000 images - the question becomes where are they what are they how can I see them?

Raw processing and then post processing and then storing as well as sending off to various platforms like web sites/blogs/instagram
or dare I say it 'printing' is all ok - buit what about storage and vieqwing....

LR's greatest strength is its Library function - Apple's Aperure had similar capability ( if not better)

and there is no one else- except Luminar is apparently stepping into the breach.

Pete

gurtch

First, let me thank everyone that took the time to help someone. I posted this in several places, but in each place I got well thought out suggestions, recommendations, and opinions. I will post this reply on several places as well. The consensus seems to be to go with Capture One, or upgrade to PS and ACR via the rental scheme. My main concern with upgrading my PS and ACR to a monthly rental is not the expense, but the fact that I have a million (exagerated) Plug Ins that I bought and paid for over many many years. I actually have PS version 5 and 6 still on my PC, because some of my favorite plugins were discontinued after down loading and installing on PS 5. I have a different set of Plug Ins on CS 6, and some of them are no longer supported or in business. If I went the rental route, can I have THREE versions running? CS 5 for that set of plug ins, CS6 for a different set, and finally the rental version for RAW file conversion? Just as important as Plug Ins are paid for third party "Actions", such as Blow Up 2, the best and easiest to really enlarge to giant images (for me at least), and another wonderful action for capture sharpening, and output sharpening. The list goes on. I was also advised that "probably" If selected in the camera, that lens corrections are "cooked in" the RAW file, and one does not need to apply lens corrections during the conversion process. Any Fugi experts or Engineers out there?
Thanks all again!!!
Dave

jng

Dave,

I have been loosely following the excellent advice you've been receiving on this thread from other forum members. I, too, started with an early version of Photoshop (CS3?). Having settled on using Bridge to help organize my files I never made the switch to Lightroom. Given your comfort with Bridge and reluctance to shift away from the legacy versions of Photoshop for the reasons stated, the simplest solution may be to do your raw conversions in Capture One (it's optimized for the Fuji, well laid out, intuitive, and gives superb results), output as tiff files and then edit to your heart's content in Photoshop. I organize my initial captures in Capture One "sessions" (easy to find tutorials on this) and after raw conversions are complete I switch to Bridge to find and open the tiffs in Photoshop. You can either leave the tiffs in their original location together with the original raws or output them to anywhere else on your hard drive. As you gain familiarity with Capture One you may find yourself doing less editing in Photoshop (as I have), but that's really a bonus of using both in your workflow. Apologies if someone has already suggested this, but this is what I do and it seems to work OK.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

John

gurtch

Thanks John. I tried importing a group of RAF files into Capture One, and batch processing them all, assuming the sharpening I selected (0) would be applied to all files.
This gave me Tifs, and RAFs. I tried importing another batch, and it keeps failing, saying they are already in the catalogue. No clue what that means, I did not make a catalog (at least, not on purpose). New cameras are supposed to be fun, but this is very frustrating.
Happy New Year from NJ.
Dave

gurtch

In spite of my workflow problems, I did manage to get a new GFR 50R image into Photoshop. Here it is (23mm lens)
Daved776 framed.jpg

jng

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear that Capture One has been vexing you. I organize my shoots in sessions and still get confused when using catalogs, in spite of many attempts by others to explain their logic to me, so I won't even attempt to address your latest glitches. Hopefully you can find someone to help you out here. In any case it seems that you're getting some really nice images from the Fuji!

Happy new year from California (formerly from NJ, many many moons ago...).

John

Thanks John. I tried importing a group of RAF files into Capture One, and batch processing them all, assuming the sharpening I selected (0) would be applied to all files.
This gave me Tifs, and RAFs. I tried importing another batch, and it keeps failing, saying they are already in the catalogue. No clue what that means, I did not make a catalog (at least, not on purpose). New cameras are supposed to be fun, but this is very frustrating.
Happy New Year from NJ.
Dave

Paul2660

When you first start C1, you are offered, either a session workflow or Catalog. I would strongly recommend session. The Catalog workflow has been laminated by many as not being as strong a DAM, as for example LR. If you are coming from LR, thinking that the catalog workflow of C1 is the same or similar may be problematic.

Personally I prefer sessions as you can work an entire folder of images, i.e. view them and pick which ones you wish to develop, unlike a catalog workflow where all the images to be worked have to be imported into the catalog.

If you started C1 with a catalog workflow and would like to try session, you will need to go back and restart it in session mode. I know there is a way to do this, but you will need to check the various forums or open a case with C1.

My workflow in C1 has changed over the years. Instead of exporting a file as a tif, I usually opt to edit the file in Photoshop (after I have worked up the file or files as much as I want to in C1). This option brings the image up into Photoshop as a tiff, and the same tiff will be stored in the same folder with the raw files unless you choose to save it to a new location which I generally do.

Paul C

algrove

To add to what Paul said, one can also take your images into PS as PSD files and once finished it slots the psd file into your session filmstrip next to the RAW original.