The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Growing concern over availability of XCD (older style) and New V lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

B L

The following is aimed at nobody. It is read only,skip or ignore.
I am sure and positive in my belief that Hasselblad will never ask me for my advice on how to run and administer their business. Atleast I dont have to worry about it.

TechTalk

Your ability to keep missing the point is impressive. ... This has nothing to do with production...
What you quoted from me was my reply to a post which actually was discussing production. Sorry, but you weren't a participant in that particular discussion; so you may have missed that point.

Last edited:

Doppler9000

To some the terms 'subsidiary vs division' may sound like a distinction without a difference, but legally and financially they are distinctly different and separate in important ways. DJI acquired controlling interest in Hasselblad at the beginning of 2017 and as a result control of its executive board.
Who is making the recent decisions like closing up the U.S. service facility, opening DJI/Hasselblad stores, and bypassing retailers to sell direct to consumer? Do you believe these are initiatives launched in Sweden?
They remain, however, distinct individual companies with income, expenses, liabilities, assets, and accounting.

TechTalk

...Division is a managerial and financial reporting term where the scope varies business by business; and Hasselblad most certainly is a so-called "BU" business unit within DJI.
Subsidiary, division, and "business unit" are definitely all business terms which have specific meanings and effects. Hasselblad is a subsidiary of a holding company of which DJI is the ultimate parent as I stated earlier.

Paul Spinnler

The point is that DJI controls Hasselblad and calls the strategic shots incl. business model changes like closing US service facilities over night and allocating inventory. Its what a business owner does. Its a shift similar to the shift Leica initiated many years ago when they moved from purely third party distribution to a mix of own stores. Given we are in 2024, D2C is also a new prominent angle. Many people prefer to just order online and instead of leaving the field to retailer's online shops they sell direct. That's a fundamental threat to the business of dealers. Simple stuff. I know one dealer locally who - due to lack of know-how – spent three years setting up their modest little online shop in the hopes of selling stuff online. That online store has no chance ofc compared to a slick online shop from the manufacturer. If you add inventory allocation on top the small dealer has no chance tbh.

Times change.

Last edited:

TechTalk

Who is making the recent decisions like closing up the U.S. service facility, opening DJI/Hasselblad stores, and bypassing retailers to sell direct to consumer? Do you believe these are initiatives launched in Sweden?
As I already stated...

DJI is the ultimate parent company thru its indirect channels of investment in Hasselblad's parent holding company and its stock, but as a subsidiary rather than a division.

To some the terms 'subsidiary vs division' may sound like a distinction without a difference, but legally and financially they are distinctly different and separate in important ways. DJI acquired controlling interest in Hasselblad at the beginning of 2017 and as a result control of its executive board. They remain, however, distinct individual companies with separate product lines, finances, income, expenses, liabilities, assets, and accounting.
It's pretty straightforward with regard to who has ultimate control of the ship. I don't think there's any controversy to be found here.

TechTalk

So you’re saying DJI is calling the shots?
What is it you are still confused about? DJI owns the controlling shares in Hasselblad and therefore exercises ultimate control over its direction thru the executive board. But DJI isn't a person and neither is Hasselblad. They are companies which employ individual people who are "calling the shots".

I have no idea who the individual people are assigned with decision making authority over various business activities like finance, marketing, distribution, service, production, etc. My guess is there are various managers. Individuals are responsible for "calling the shots" and making decisions for which they take the credit or blame just like any other business.

I attempted to clarify for you — or anyone else who may be confused by the difference between a subsidiary and a division (or a business unit) — that Hasselblad is a subsidiary with DJI as the ultimate parent company and not a division operating within DJI. The structural differences are important or they wouldn't exist.

They are separate legal and financial corporate entities. They are each responsible for their own corporate business expenses, debts, and liabilities. So when you wrote...
...DJI pays the outside supplier but avoids the costs to manufacture the lenses....
That's only true for lenses DJI may buy for DJI products. Hasselblad is responsible for writing the checks to their lens suppliers. Another difference when it comes to writing checks...

Hasselblad has had several owners since Victor sold the company in 1976. Since then it has operated as a subsidiary of: Säfveån AB, Incentive AB, UBS Capital, Shriro Group, Ventizz Capital, and since 2017 DJI. There are employees who have worked for Hasselblad thru multiple owners. One constant is they were employees whose paychecks came from Hasselblad regardless of who the current controlling shareholder and ultimate owner may have been.

Hasselblad employees work for Hasselblad. DJI employees work for DJI. It's one of the differences between working for a subsidiary and working at a division. It isn't that complicated and I supplied links earlier with fuller explanations for anyone interested or still confused. I'm done with this merry-go-round and am jumping off here.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

TT - that's a bit of a long-winded, evasive, diffuse answer – so do you think therefore DJI decided to change Hasselblad's distribution model, impacting small dealers across the globe? Or do you have "no idea" who is doing what and just adding some "general" info?

hcubell

TT - that's a bit of a long-winded, evasive, diffuse answer – so do you think therefore DJI decided to change Hasselblad's distribution model, impacting small dealers across the globe? Or do you have "no idea" who is doing what and just adding some "general" info?
TR is absolutely correct in his description. Anyone with any real world experience in the corporate world would know how parent companies interact with subsidiaries.
And just why in the world do you care and engage in these OCD tirades? You don’t like how they run their business, don’t buy anything from them. It’s that simple. I own three XCDbodies and two H2 bodies with a wide assortment of lenses. I don’t care if the business decisions are made in China, Sweden or Mars.

hcubell

Nobody knows and it is inexplicable why you would care. It would be very unfortunate if you and Mr. Spinnler were to turn this forum into a replica of that MF Forum that you moderate over at DPReview that is consumed with negativity about all things Hasselblad.

Paul Spinnler

Nobody knows and it is inexplicable why you would care. It would be very unfortunate if you and Mr. Spinnler were to turn this forum into a replica of that MF Forum that you moderate over at DPReview that is consumed with negativity about all things Hasselblad.
Hi Howard

TT and you are continuing beating the dead horse. The discussion long ended and all of a sudden we are in midst of Hasselblad financial reports and subsidiary discussions courtesy of TT opening up a box. Do you recognise that? You also again bring done the tone a few notches …

PeterA

What makes this place a fun place to be part of is the posted photographs and the relevant commentary on gear.

This thread contributes nothing to teh forum except promoting unnecessary adversarial disharmony.

I think many posters have tried to address the substance of what was being addressed in the OP and some have taken a step more and perhaps indicated the unwelcome nature of continual posting 'opinion' about Hasselblad - it seems that there is an agenda going on here now- and commentary from certain posters is looking more like trolling than anything else.

Perhaps non-users of Hasselblad gear might just confine themselves to talking about the gear they use - or maybe posting a photograph that we can all appreciate.

Doppler9000

What is it you are still confused about? DJI owns the controlling shares in Hasselblad and therefore exercises ultimate control over its direction thru the executive board. But DJI isn't a person and neither is Hasselblad. They are companies which employ individual people who are "calling the shots".

I have no idea who the individual people are assigned with decision making authority over various business activities like finance, marketing, distribution, service, production, etc. My guess is there are various managers. Individuals are responsible for "calling the shots" and making decisions for which they take the credit or blame just like any other business.

I attempted to clarify for you — or anyone else who may be confused by the difference between a subsidiary and a division (or a business unit) — that Hasselblad is a subsidiary with DJI as the ultimate parent company and not a division operating within DJI. The structural differences are important or they wouldn't exist.

They are separate legal and financial corporate entities. They are each responsible for their own corporate business expenses, debts, and liabilities. So when you wrote...

That's only true for lenses DJI may buy for DJI products. Hasselblad is responsible for writing the checks to their lens suppliers. Another difference when it comes to writing checks...

Hasselblad has had several owners since Victor sold the company in 1976. Since then it has operated as a subsidiary of: Säfveån AB, Incentive AB, UBS Capital, Shriro Group, Ventizz Capital, and since 2017 DJI. There are employees who have worked for Hasselblad thru multiple owners. One constant is they were employees whose paychecks came from Hasselblad regardless of who the current controlling shareholder and ultimate owner may have been.

Hasselblad employees work for Hasselblad. DJI employees work for DJI. It's one of the differences between working for a subsidiary and working at a division. It isn't that complicated and I supplied links earlier with fuller explanations for anyone interested or still confused. I'm done with this merry-go-round and am jumping off here.

The confusion appears to be on your part, where you have conflated separate legal and accounting relationship with autonomy regarding decision-making.

The thread is way off, and people are getting upset, understandably, so I will close with a rhetorical question.

Did DJI or Hasselblad Sweden make the decisions to cut off dealers, close the U.S. service facility and open DJI/Hasselblad stores in malls and other retail locations?

darr

Speaking of projections ...

Captured Dreams: A Hasselblad Love Story

In the summer of '85, when my photography business was finding its footing, fate intervened in the form of a chance encounter at KEH Camera Brokers. Back in those days, if you lived in the Atlanta area, you could walk into KEH and go through their bins. My heart yearned for a Hasselblad, a symbol of professionalism and artistic excellence, but my wallet whispered tales of financial strain.

A commotion at the counter caught my attention as I stood amidst the array of lenses and bodies. A man, his frustration palpable, lamented the meager offer the buyer proposed for his beloved Hasselblad kit. With lenses spread before him like treasures on display, he turned to me, a stranger, and posed an unexpected proposition.

"Would you purchase it for $1,500?" he asked, his voice desperation tinged with hope. I hesitated, torn between desire and practicality, but $1,500 was half of what it was all worth. My husband, sensing the gravity of the moment, nodded in silent encouragement.

"Yes," I replied, my voice steadier than my racing heart. "But times are tough. I couldn't afford it all at once."

To my astonishment, he offered a lifeline. "Payments," he suggested, a glimmer of kindness in his eyes. And so, with a handshake and exchanged numbers, a pact was made.

That Hasselblad, with its distinctive click and precision, became more than a camera. It was a beacon of possibility, a talisman of dreams yet to unfold. With each click of the shutter, my vision crystallized, and my artistry honed.

From weddings to portraits, my Hasselblad was my steadfast companion, capturing moments of joy and difficult lighting scenarios with equal grace. As my business flourished, so too did my collection of Hasselblad bodies and lenses, each a testament to the journey we had embarked upon together.

Through the decades, amidst shifts in ownership and seismic changes in technology, my allegiance remained unwavering. It was not merely a camera system but a conduit for my creativity, aspirations, and income.

Today, as I look back toward forty years of partnership with Hasselblad, I am filled with gratitude. I am grateful for the guardian angel who saw potential where others saw only uncertainty. I am grateful for the camera system that never faltered, never wavered, and always exceeded expectations: my loyal partner in the business.

So, here's to the dreamers and the believers, the ones who dare to chase their passions against all odds. And here's to Hasselblad, the steadfast companion on a journey of a lifetime.

--

I'd love to hear your Hasselblad story, too. For in every click of the shutter lies a tale waiting to be told.

Paul Spinnler

Speaking of projections ...

Captured Dreams: A Hasselblad Love Story

In the summer of '85, when my photography business was finding its footing, fate intervened in the form of a chance encounter at KEH Camera Brokers. Back in those days, if you lived in the Atlanta area, you could walk into KEH and go through their bins. My heart yearned for a Hasselblad, a symbol of professionalism and artistic excellence, but my wallet whispered tales of financial strain.

A commotion at the counter caught my attention as I stood amidst the array of lenses and bodies. A man, his frustration palpable, lamented the meager offer the buyer proposed for his beloved Hasselblad kit. With lenses spread before him like treasures on display, he turned to me, a stranger, and posed an unexpected proposition.

"Would you purchase it for $1,500?" he asked, his voice desperation tinged with hope. I hesitated, torn between desire and practicality, but $1,500 was half of what it was all worth. My husband, sensing the gravity of the moment, nodded in silent encouragement.

"Yes," I replied, my voice steadier than my racing heart. "But times are tough. I couldn't afford it all at once."

To my astonishment, he offered a lifeline. "Payments," he suggested, a glimmer of kindness in his eyes. And so, with a handshake and exchanged numbers, a pact was made.

That Hasselblad, with its distinctive click and precision, became more than a camera. It was a beacon of possibility, a talisman of dreams yet to unfold. With each click of the shutter, my vision crystallized, and my artistry honed.

From weddings to portraits, my Hasselblad was my steadfast companion, capturing moments of joy and difficult lighting scenarios with equal grace. As my business flourished, so too did my collection of Hasselblad bodies and lenses, each a testament to the journey we had embarked upon together.

Through the decades, amidst shifts in ownership and seismic changes in technology, my allegiance remained unwavering. It was not merely a camera system but a conduit for my creativity, aspirations, and income.

Today, as I look back toward forty years of partnership with Hasselblad, I am filled with gratitude. I am grateful for the guardian angel who saw potential where others saw only uncertainty. I am grateful for the camera system that never faltered, never wavered, and always exceeded expectations: my loyal partner in the business.

So, here's to the dreamers and the believers, the ones who dare to chase their passions against all odds. And here's to Hasselblad, the steadfast companion on a journey of a lifetime.

--

I'd love to hear your Hasselblad story, too. For in every click of the shutter lies a tale waiting to be told.
Nicely written. I owned a 501CM once and it is one of the big regrets I have to have sold it.

The all black 500 series is on my list and it would be nice if there was a large sensor to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.