The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad face detect previews.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Forget the 90V review. This firmware has face detect and LIVE VIEW TETHERING!!!

MGrayson

Face detect works well. Tethering, at least with Hasselblad's supplied cable and my MacBook Pro, works, but disconnects very easily. There's supposed to be something nicer than TetherTools out there. I forget their name....

jng

Face detect works well. Tethering, at least with Hasselblad's supplied cable and my MacBook Pro, works, but disconnects very easily. There's supposed to be something nicer than TetherTools out there. I forget their name....
Sorry, but I feel compelled to ask: does it recognize Soup's face?

The USB-C connection to my X2D feels pretty secure, the one on my aging MacBook, not so much. Tethering in the past hasn't been an issue for me (FWIW, I use a longer cable from TetherTools for tethering). There's someone who posts on the hasselbladdigital forum who sells a 3D-printed TetherTools-like gizmo that stabilizes the cable connection at the camera. I haven't tried it, but you can find it here.

John

Last edited:

thovenmedia

I use two cables successfully without any issues. IQ Wire (I bought this when I had the Phase One IQ4 150) and Oculus Link cable (this is a fiber optic cable) both cables are USB-C to USB-C.

PapaJoe

Me: My Hasselblad now has Face Detect Autofocus! Woohoo!
My wife: Your $8,000 camera is just getting Face Detection? Didn't your iPhone have that years ago?
Me: Yeah, but my Hasselblad is a REAL camera, not a smartphone.
My wife: Didn't your half as expensive Sony REAL camera have that years ago?
Me: Yeah, but my Hasselblad is 100 megapixels.
My wife: Doesn't your less expensive 100 megapixel REAL Fuji camera have Face and Eye Detection?
Me: Yeah, but...
My wife: When you're in a hole, stop digging!!

tcdeveau

Dang this is timely HB....my camera needs for the moment have somewhat changed, and I need face-detect AF.

Had been holding off on upgrading the X1D to the X2D and was considering the GFX100II, partially for this reason. May need to look at the X2D again.

So those of you that have upgraded the body firmware, the face-detect AF works like it should? any issues you've noticed?

MGrayson

Sorry, but I feel compelled to ask: does it recognize Soup's face?

The USB-C connection to my X2D feels pretty secure, the one on my aging MacBook, not so much. Tethering in the past hasn't been an issue for me (FWIW, I use a longer cable from TetherTools for tethering). There's someone who posts on the hasselbladdigital forum who sells a 3D-printed TetherTools-like gizmo that stabilizes the cable connection at the camera. I haven't tried it, but you can find it here.

John
Soup is giving me the "What do you mean it doesn't recognize my face? I'm right here!" look. (It works on me, so the system clearly has no taste.)

Very sad.

Matt

Last edited:

TechTalk

I use two cables successfully without any issues. IQ Wire (I bought this when I had the Phase One IQ4 150) and Oculus Link cable (this is a fiber optic cable) both cables are USB-C to USB-C.
Thank you for your post and bringing attention to the quality differences in USB-C cables. You can find a lot of variation in quality and capabilities among them. USB-C cables may contain a good deal of power and processing circuitry hidden inside each connector — or in some USB-C cables very little.

I've seen a number of online posts in various places from people who have had tethering issues using USB-C cables with high-resolution cameras who have reported that switching to an IQwire tether cable solved their problems. They are not inexpensive, but they are well designed and built for transmitting a lot of data at high speed.

This 20 minute video may explain why it's worth seeking out the right cables, what's inside, and how they differ. It's 20 minutes of viewing which could save a lot of time in the future troubleshooting problems caused by cables which aren't up to the task. Looking inside different USB-C cables with an industrial CT scanner is quite interesting, at least for me.

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

Soup is giving me the "What do you mean it doesn't recognize my face? I'm right here!" look. (It works on me, so the system clearly has no taste.)

Very sad.

Matt
Matt, just wait for the X3(4, 5?)D that will have eye detection ... that should work on Soup !!!

Photon42

In case someone has a setup like me and uses MF with back button focus - and does not read the release notes: you need to have AF/MF switched to AF to enable face detection. Just hitting the focus button does not work and you also cannot select it. Did not check anything else yet but face detection seems to work ok for a X2D camera.

MGrayson

In case someone has a setup like me and uses MF with back button focus - and does not read the release notes: you need to have AF/MF switched to AF to enable face detection. Just hitting the focus button does not work and you also cannot select it. Did not check anything else yet but face detection seems to work ok for a X2D camera.
I was surprised by this as well, but I can't remember how it worked on the Fuji GFX. I've always used back-button AF, but I'm not sure that Hassy's choice is wrong.

One thing that keeps me on manual focus is that focus peaking is only available there. Even with AF, I often need to magnify and check critical focus manually. Unfortunately, it's on all the time, and it makes composition difficult if the entire landscape is lit up with magenta. A button or screen mode to activate it (as the Leica S has) would be helpful.

Photon42

I am not quite sure how to deal with it at the moment. Probably I will switch to AF in case I need face detection and else keep it MF + BBF.
Not sure why Hasselblad limits it. Maybe simply not thought through completely?

jduncan

Very sad.

Matt
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Clearly, the system does not know how dangerous is to piss-off a cat either.
Best regards,

Photon42

I did some tests with the X2D firmware 3.1 (where was 3.0 btw ..?), latest Phocus and some Tether Tool cable. That cable has a flag on it reading "data transfer only". The camera however, not being able to read printed flags on cables, seemingly did not know that and still charges fine with that very cable.
Data transfer works flawlessly with a MBP 16" late 2021 (M1 something). I tried live view and focus (Phocus?) stacking. Worked very well.