The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XCD 28P

tenmangu81

I don't know where to post it, but it looks like an XCD24 f/2.5 is on its way:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I don't know where to post it, but it looks like an XCD24 f/2.5 is on its way:

A response in another forum: “They didn’t even get the font right.”

(My favorite focal length, but I’m not getting my hopes up.)

tenmangu81

Yes, Matt, I've had a look at this forum, too, in which a new 135 is also "announced". I don't have any opinion about the font, anyway. The best is to wait and see,.... and have the first users's impressions, expected to come in 2 years from now 🤣

dmecham

I'm not sure I understand why this new lens would be so close to the new 28P. Not much difference and will probably be twice the price of the 28P which in my experience has been an excellent lens.

dmecham

Yes, Matt, I've had a look at this forum, too, in which a new 135 is also "announced". I don't have any opinion about the font, anyway. The best is to wait and see,.... and have the first users's impressions, expected to come in 2 years from now 🤣
I suspect Hasselblad is having some issues with the new V lenses but Im sure it will be resolved to be as good as their other optics. Definitely a waiting game with Hasselblad but I think worth it considering my experiences with my 28, 45P and 65mm lenses. All excellent.

Godfrey

The 28P looks an interesting lens at a reasonable price, and it would slot into my 907x system nicely (currently 21/45P/65 lenses).

I'm in no hurry ... just spent a bit for another Leica M lens and need to spend some time shooting with/learning that first ... but perhaps when I'm ready to look at another Hasselblad lens the supply issues will have been overcome and I'll give it a try.

Since I already have the XCD 21mm, I'm not as interested in a 24mm.

G

Iceman1331

Some said the new lens announcement is a fake news. I have the 21 and 28p lenses and is no apparent reason for HB to introduce a new 24 mm lens to compete against itself.

Godfrey

Some said the new lens announcement is a fake news. I have the 21 and 28p lenses and is no apparent reason for HB to introduce a new 24 mm lens to compete against itself.
That could be. However, most 35mm camera manufacturers had 20-21mm, 24mm, 28mm, and 31-35mm lenses in their line up, and it never seemed to be "competing against themselves." But, eh? I'm interested in the 28P; it's a strong "maybe" if I decide to expand my X series lens kit.

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Like releasing a 38mm when there are already two different 45mm lenses?

akaru

Yeah, 4mm can be a pretty big difference for wide angles. That said, this is suspect as they would surely offer up a 21mm replacement first, unless 24 is the best they could do…

TechTalk

It appears Hasselblad may be in the process of building a system which offers multiple lens series with different attributes, features, and price points to appeal to a range of individual user preferences. Any new lenses which expand the current range I assume will be welcomed additions.

They currently offer the XCD lens series which covers a reasonable range of focal lengths and applications; the P Series which offers smaller, lighter, slower lenses which are more portable and less expensive; and the V Series with a new mechanical system and designs which look to balance a combination of size, speed, and performance. Demand has outpaced production and supply of the newer lenses.

My guess would be that over time the XCD lenses will evolve into either new or updated designs with mechanical features seen in the V Series. But that's mere speculation on my part which will require time to provide us with eventual answers to current questions.

wattsy

offers multiple lens series

They currently offer the XCD lens series which covers a reasonable range of focal lengths and applications; the P Series which offers smaller, lighter, slower lenses which are more portable and less expensive; and the V Series with a new mechanical system and designs which look to balance a combination of size, speed, and performance.
Hasselblad of course makes no such distinction between lenses. The various catalogues and the website show a single range of "XCD lenses" which includes all the lenses that are compatible with the X system and V system*. They have appended a P and V to the more recently introduced lenses, depending upon certain characteristics but there isn't a P series or V series of lenses. Whether these newer lenses are meant to extend the range or replace previously introduced lenses of the same or similar focal length is just speculation.

*The use of the term V system in Hasselblad's product nomenclature is a bit woolly and offers scope for confusion. If I recall correctly, the term was introduced to describe the traditional 6x6 camera system when the 645 H system was launched. Hasselblad now use the term V System for the 907x based cameras. That makes some sense because of the CFV II back compatibility with the traditional V system cameras (the 907x based cameras can therefore be seen as an extension of that traditional V system) but the 907x body is fully compatible with the XCD lenses so the Hasselblad online shop has a section for "X and V System Lenses":LOL:. The recent F2.5 XCD lenses have further diluted the essence of the V designation having been given the V label too despite having no compatibility with the traditional 6x6 V system.

Godfrey

Hmm. The 907x/CFV has always been listed along with the traditional 500/etc V system. This has always made sense to me since it constitutes another compatible component of the original 6x6 SLR line, providing a digital back for use on all of the older 500/etc bodies as well as a body stub/lens mount to give access to the X series lens line. Where things have gotten a bit confusing, to me, is the adoption of the new "V" lens descriptor within the X series lens offerings. Sheesh, couldn't they have use another letter rather than "V"? They already use "P" on a couple of XCD lenses, supposedly indicating a sub-series of XCD types, why not use something other than V to indicate another sub-series?

But eh? I'm a photographer, not a marketing weenie... I suppose they had their reasons, and it's not *that* complicated to figure out. ;)

G

TechTalk

Hasselblad of course makes no such distinction between lenses. The various catalogues and the website show a single range of "XCD lenses" which includes all the lenses that are compatible with the X system and V system*. They have appended a P and V to the more recently introduced lenses, depending upon certain characteristics but there isn't a P series or V series of lenses. Whether these newer lenses are meant to extend the range or replace previously introduced lenses of the same or similar focal length is just speculation.
All of the X System lenses use XCD in their nomenclature as a result of sharing the same XCD lens mount. With regard to their lens mount, they are all XCD lenses.

When I look at XCD, XCD–P, and XCD–V lenses; each of those three distinct groups have a unique set of design features and characteristics which are shared within each group that are not shared with lenses from the other two groups. The distinct differences of each group include the ones which I described above and the lens groups are identified by unique nomenclature as a result. For those reasons, I view the V and P Series lenses as distinct new additions to the original XCD line which are likely to develop further as uniquely identifiable lens series.

But don't take my word for it. Here's a quote from Hasselblad's press release for the 28P lens...

"There are currently two Hasselblad XCD lens series, V Series and P Series. The P Series consists of entry-level thin, lightweight lenses that can meet daily photography needs. P Series lenses work with the X2D to offer more shooting possibilities for travelling photographers."

"The V Series focuses on optical performance and control experience. The lenses have a larger aperture delivering a more pronounced background blurring effect. They also feature a depth of field scale, distance scale, and a focus ring that can be switched between autofocus and manual focus, with a customisable control ring. The V Series currently includes the XCD 2,5/38V, XCD 2,5/55V and XCD 2,5/90V."

TechTalk

*The use of the term V system in Hasselblad's product nomenclature is a bit woolly and offers scope for confusion.
I haven't seen anyone confused by this. If anyone is actually confused, I'd be glad to offer assistance.

If I recall correctly, the term was introduced to describe the traditional 6x6 camera system when the 645 H system was launched.
Right. It's a simple and logical way to distinguish between the two systems. In the name Victor Hasselblad, the V comes first and then the H which is the order in which the two systems were introduced. The V System was followed by the H System which included a cleverly engineered V System lens adapter for backward compatibility with existing lenses customers already owned. The CF Lens Adapter offers maximum compatibility and ease of use and was clearly part of early H System planning and development. I for one appreciated that at the time I switched from V to H System cameras.

That makes some sense because of the CFV II back compatibility with the traditional V system cameras...
It makes sense to me as well.

...(the 907x based cameras can therefore be seen as an extension of that traditional V system) but the 907x body is fully compatible with the XCD lenses so the Hasselblad online shop has a section for "X and V System Lenses":LOL:.
That makes sense to me also since XCD lenses can be used on X System cameras and with two different V System mount digital backs via the 907X body. More backward compatibility. The 907X 50C and 907X 100C are totally unique modular cameras which bridge the V, H, and X systems and their lenses. They offer the option of using the leaf shutters in V, H, and X systems as well as compatibility with focal plane shutter V System cameras and lenses. Compatibility of new equipment with cameras and lenses which reach back into the 1950s indicates a pretty good commitment to customers in the medium format space.

The recent F2.5 XCD lenses have further diluted the essence of the V designation having been given the V label too despite having no compatibility with the traditional 6x6 V system.
I think the V System designation and its essence can handle it. The V System has proven to be a system with a lot of durability and resilience coping with change and new challenges.

wattsy

But don't take my word for it. Here's a quote from Hasselblad's press release for the 28P lens...
"There are currently two Hasselblad XCD lens series, V Series and P Series. The P Series consists of entry-level thin, lightweight lenses that can meet daily photography needs. P Series lenses work with the X2D to offer more shooting possibilities for travelling photographers."
Okay, fair enough. I hadn't read that press release and haven't seen Hasselblad refer to the P or V designated lenses as a "series" anywhere else.

Odd that they make no reference to the other ('legacy') XCD lenses in that statement.

TechTalk

Odd that they make no reference to the other ('legacy') XCD lenses in that statement.
What the press release does say is: "There are currently two Hasselblad XCD lens series, V Series and P Series." I would not be surprised to see additional lens series developed beyond those currently available.

Which is why I wrote above...

It appears Hasselblad may be in the process of building a system which offers multiple lens series with different attributes, features, and price points to appeal to a range of individual user preferences. ... My guess would be that over time the XCD lenses will evolve into either new or updated designs with mechanical features seen in the V Series. But that's mere speculation on my part which will require time to provide us with eventual answers to current questions.

wattsy

What the press release does say is: "There are currently two Hasselblad XCD lens series, V Series and P Series." I would not be surprised to see additional lens series developed beyond those currently available.

Which is why I wrote above...

It appears Hasselblad may be in the process of building a system which offers multiple lens series with different attributes, features, and price points to appeal to a range of individual user preferences. ... My guess would be that over time the XCD lenses will evolve into either new or updated designs with mechanical features seen in the V Series. But that's mere speculation on my part which will require time to provide us with eventual answers to current questions.
Yes, as you wrote “that’s mere speculation” on your part. Not that it addresses my point you quote. Please don’t bother replying. I should know better than to engage you in any kind of discussion.

dmecham

Having an X1D (Mark I), an X2D, an XCD 28P, and a white piece of plexiglass, I thought ...

Everything f/4.8, ISO 100, about 1/3 sec.

First, OOC with no corrections except white balance in the center and EV to match all the images. Processed in LR.

X1D

X2D

Now XCD 28P corrections as applied in LR

X1D

X2D

And finally, corrections applied in Phocus, exported as 16 bit TIFF

X1D

X2D

Interesting how much better Phocus corrects the X2D. It's almost perfect except for the deep corners. I could do a whole aperture series, but I was curious how bad the X1D corrections were.

Matt
Here I did this test with my X1Dll and 28P lens at F4. Corrections made in Phocus 2 software.28PF44.jpg