The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy X1D2 and Pentax 645Z Have the same sensor?

rollsman44

Just curious to see if they are made from the same Company? ( SONY ? ) Thanks I know they have the same size Mpx

Alkibiades

Just curious to see if they are made from the same Company? ( SONY ? ) Thanks I know they have the same size Mpx
only Sony makes digital sensors for medium format, no matter if used by Phase one, Fuji, pentax or hasselblad.
So pentax use the same 50 MP Sony chip as the others.
An exception should be only leica S .

Paul Spinnler

Correct – the Leica S3 has a unique 45x30 sensor which was made for Leica with a dual gain readout structure and special Bayer filter array to get better skin color rendition.

Paul Spinnler

TowerJazz - the main reason the S3 was distontinued after 2 years is because the initial batch of sensors was used up and ordering new ones had become too expensive in the lot size Leica required (low thousands) post pandemic.

The S3 therefore will forever be a very unique camera. High DR, low noise (64 fat MPX) and specific bayer filter.

Great IQ.

rollsman44

The reason I ask is since they BOTH are 51mpx and made by Sony.....what changes the IQ? The Lenses, the Processor?
TY

Paul Spinnler

IQ is a relative term, but most often people mean the sum of all elements of a system (sensor, color filter array, processing (e.g. color rendition, in camera noise at readout, image processing chip) and optics (bokeh, lack of aberrations, sharpness).

So although you may have a similar starting point (sensor), its really just a white canvas and each manufacturer can add many proprietary elements from the moment the sensor captures the information to the final image so that each camera has its distinct look, incl. based on the optics available.

The Hasselblad is famed for its excellent processing, especially colour through its own colour science (HNCS) and has the newest lenses with pleasing bokeh. Most likely most people say it has better IQ vs the Pentax which is an older system lacking special features such as HNCS.

Alkibiades

the sensor is the same, so the difference will be the colors profiles made from camera companies.
The lenses can make a difference too, but the real difference between Pentax or Phase one is the possibility to use a phase one back on technical cameras with schneider and rodenstock lenses that allows big movements.
If you just need a camera for standart work like portraits - people the difference will be not existing. The lenses that pentax, phase or hasselblad offer are very close to each other, all of them have similar lenses. If you work with flash so the central shutter offered by phase and hasselblad would be a point.

Alkibiades

Pentax 645 had a very good reputation and was much cheaper than phase one or hasselbald.
But the game has changed when Fuji entered the midle format. Thay came with very low prices and very modern cameras and lenses.
Pentax did not updated their body to the 100 MP sensor. It is questionable, if they will continue to produce new cameras and lenses...

B L

Dalsa- like kodak- made CCD chips.
Leica works together with panasonic,- panasonic and canon make they Csmos chips by yourself-so it will be a panasonic chip.
Leica turns out lots of unlimited limited edition products, is this sensor also "Limited Edition" ? 😂

Alkibiades

Leica turns out lots of unlimited limited edition products, is this sensor also "Limited Edition" ? 😂
this sensor is used in Leica S only and I think not much such camera will be sold, so you could call it limited edition in some way.
Leica and Sinar produced also Sinar last back, so this sensor could be also used as Sinar back, but I have no idea if we will ever see a new Sinar back.
Leica use in the SL line Sony sensor with 60 MP, so there is a strong competition in the same house.

Reactions: B L

Paul Spinnler

No the partnership with Towerjazz / Panasonic for the sensor manufacturing is over for efficiency and technology reasons. Sony won based on the tech.

They had both Sony and Towerjazz Panasonic during the SL2/S3 (Towerjazz) vs M10 (Sony), but now fully moved onto Sony for the next gen.

M11, M11M, Q3 are Sony IMX411; S4 will be Sony too – I think IMX811.

The S4 will come out in 2025.

All Leica cameras will be on Sony going forward – because of: best DR, best price, best tech. Towerjazz had limitations on DR and the S3 had a more complex dual gain readout system to equal Sony's DR, but I didn't fully touch it. SL2 is significantly less DR than than the Sony BSI tech.

The S3 is a fantastic sensor with unique tech and its own color signature, forever a unicorn! The camera has been discontinued ...

Reactions: B L

B L

No the partnership with Towerjazz / Panasonic for the sensor manufacturing is over for efficiency and technology reasons. Sony won based on the tech.

They had both Sony and Towerjazz Panasonic during the SL2/S3 (Towerjazz) vs M10 (Sony), but now fully moved onto Sony for the next gen.

M11, M11M, Q3 are Sony IMX411; S4 will be Sony too – I think IMX811.

The S4 will come out in 2025.

All Leica cameras will be on Sony going forward – because of: best DR, best price, best tech. Towerjazz had limitations on DR and the S3 had a more complex dual gain readout system to equal Sony's DR, but I didn't fully touch it. SL2 is significantly less DR than than the Sony BSI tech.

The S3 is a fantastic sensor with unique tech and its own color signature, forever a unicorn! The camera has been discontinued ...
S3 discontinued and no more sensors available.Does that mean if sensor fails that means...............

Paul Spinnler

S3 discontinued and no more sensors available.Does that mean if sensor fails that means...............
No, they will have a reserve for warranty repairs. I am not familiar with the minimum legal requirement to hold parts, but I would think at least for the next 5 years they will have enough parts.

Sensors are not such a failure source - the M9 was built with a cover layer which corroded, but that’s not a problem with modern sensors. More likely to break mainly due to falling or the camera receiving a hit.

And there surely is new stock still with dealers somewhere. Personally, I must say the S3 has the best out of the box colour of all my cameras.

B L

No, they will have a reserve for warranty repairs. I am not familiar with the minimum legal requirement to hold parts, but I would think at least for the next 5 years they will have enough parts.

Sensors are not such a failure source - the M9 was built with a cover layer which corroded, but that’s not a problem with modern sensors. More likely to break mainly due to falling or the camera receiving a hit.

And there surely is new stock still with dealers somewhere. Personally, I must say the S3 has the best out of the box colour of all my cameras.
Many thanks.Back to Mr Rollsman with his OP question.