The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the new iPhone 14 pro max as good as a camera?

LEZ90

I've been reading how the iPhone 14 pro max has the best camera in any phone and its 48mp output is on par with a real camera. So when I took delivery of my own iPhone 14 pro max, I was interested to try it out and compare its 48mp raw photos to the couple of Leica cameras that I own.

48 mega pixels. First I took a photo on the iPhone without zooming and then shot a similar one with my 48mp Leica Q2. When you look closely at the photo, you can clearly see that the clever, computerised trickery to upscale a 12mp sensor to 48 megapixel photo that Apple uses is ok, but its not as good as the real full frame sensor of the Q2.

Zoom. I then went outside and I zoomed the iPhone up to its maximum in 48mp Raw mode and shot a picture of a seagull. I then used my second hand £500 Leica V-Lux to do the same.

Even though the £500 V-Lux is only 20mp it has a 400mm optical zoom and compared to the computerised zoom of the iPhone the difference was massive.

Image quality. OK, so the 48mp from a small sensor is not as good as the real thing and the digital zoom is rubbish, but what about normal photos?

Well the answer is its ok, but…

As I’ve said before on my blog, a quality sharp lens costs a lot of money to make (hence why Leicas are so expensive) so to compensate for this companies enhance their output by using artificial sharpening techniques and fake colour enhancers.

On the top of the images below you can see the iPhone image is overly sharp and the colours are very bright and vibrant - nice but not realistic.

Also its using ‘Portrait mode’ which I can’t stand as it artificially blurs the background and the line where it blurs the image is usually wrong and you end up with a missing ear or something - just look at the chain in the background or the edge of the jacket (its sharp right up to the edge) - you see what I mean.

Compare it to the Leica’s photo on the bottom.

This is more ‘real’ looking. The left image is like you are looking at an on screen photo of a flower basket where on the on the right, its looks like you are looking at the real thing.

Summery Is it as good as a dedicated camera? Not at all.

Upscaling a 12mp camera sensor, is never going to be as good as a full frame sensor, and digital zoom is rubbish compared to an optical lens, even if you have double the pixels to use.

Would I recommend it? For its price (and for those who want to post on Facebook or instagram), the iPhone is very good indeed and is more than capable (video stabilisation is superb) then most peoples needs.

Its the best phone camera on the market, and its does come quote close to a real dedicated camera. But....

If you want to take photos that are more than just a Facebook snap shot then spend half the money of an iPhone and get yourself something like a Leica V-Lux for £500 from ebay. The image quality and the amount of possibilities you can do with the manual controls are in a different league. Cant make phone calls on it though.

More reviews on my blog.

Godfrey

My iPhone 11 Pro is a good phone, and a decent camera, and a useful, versatile device for working with messages, navigation, health and nutrition tracking, etc. To conjecture that it somehow ought to be compared to a dedicated, high-quality camera is, I think, a bit silly ... at least for a photographer. It is a perfectly useful camera for people who are NOT photographers, and produces good results for them.

It can produce good results for me, used as a camera, if I take the extraordinary effort that is needed to optimize it for my photography. That is:
- a tripod or other camera support
- a camera app that gives me the desired range and type of controls needed
- locking the sensitivity to as low a value as possible to optimize image quality
- not using digital zoom and other conveniences that degrade quality

In a way, it's kind of like doing high quality photography with a Minox subminiature camera. It can be done, but it takes a good bit of effort to get the best results. To wit:

Fulvia in Late Afternoon Sun by Godfrey DiGiorgi, on Flickr

I wouldn't say that it could compete with my Hasselblad or Leica cameras for quality, but it makes a very nice postcard sized print and if I hadn't told you I made it with the iPhone 11 Pro, I wonder how many people would have thought that. :)

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
This prints beautifully at 16x20. (iPhone 14)

Not many FF cameras have 13mm lenses included (iPhone 14)

And no FF camera ever made could have taken this picture (iPhone 6)

OTOH, my phone couldn't do this (25,000 pixels high Fuji GFX 100 3-image stitch with 100-200/5.6)

or this 3 image stack of the transit of Mercury (GFX 100, 250/4, 16-stop ND filter)

So it really depends what you want to do.

Matt

Last edited:

JoelM

I don't think that the iPhone is 48mp with all lenses, just the normal, I think.
My iPhone 11 was good, but the battery life went south so I got the 14 Pro and have been very happy with it.
Joel

tcdeveau

I definitely appreciate my iPhone (13 pro) for what it can do, but it’s no cure for GAS…at least for me and not yet