The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9 images

k-hawinkler

My camera arrived back here at my place about an hour ago.
This is my first image with the new M9 sensor of the unfocused sky.

Leica M9 Digital Camera + Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. @ 50 mm (50 mm in 35mm), f/16, 1/90 s, ISO 250, DxO PL6.

I don't think any of my sensors in various cameras I own ever has been this clean.
There seems one tiny bird visible in the sky, but it's definitely not a dust spec.
Unfortunately the sensor won't stay this clean for long. Oh well. :(

Next I went into my M9's Service Menu, verified its Serial Number, and found the following info:

CCD ID: 11
CCD Board: 2
Control BRD: 2
M16CID: 0

Everything checks out. Wonderful.
The CCD ID: 11 sensor seems to work just fine with my Firmware version 1.202.

What an outstanding and speedy service from Kolari!
WOW! Many thanks indeed!. Thank you Kolari!

So then finally my obligatory backyard image with my newly improved M9, as it is already getting slowly darker outside.

Leica M9 Digital Camera + Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. @ 50 mm, f/4.8, 1/1000 s, ISO 160, DxO PL6.
I used automatic lens detection and set f/5.6. The above f/4.8 is what the camera estimates and reports.

Thank you Pieter for your marvelous recommendation to send my M9 to Kolari.
So far a smashing success. Thanks indeed!

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Welcome onboard Ocean and posting such a stunning image.
The more folks post images here the merrier it gets for all of us. :D
Thank you.

Meditation Point

Leica M9 + Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH., DxO PL6.

I shot these images 3 days after I initially received the M9 at the last day of 2009.
However, finally now with DxO PL6 I actually can give these images the look I want.
And this without overly cumbersome effort. Believe it or not. :)

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

k-hawinkler

K-H.
Congrats for the new sensor and Kolari service. Gives me encouragement. It must feel new!!

Thank you rayyan, new like brand new or better. BTW great image.

IIRC Leica in their M9 never got their firmware completely straightened out with respect to memory cards. It had to do with not properly managing the energy budget of the M9. So it happened several times that my M9 messed up file system on the memory card and wiped out images already stored there that I had shot earlier.

However, a Canadian LUF member figured out that the Panasonic Gold memory card had extra smarts / features that prohibited the M9 from messing with the file system. So I have such a card in my M9 and since had no problems with losing images files. BTW back in those days I was a constant LUF user and documented the entire problem and it’s solution on LUF.

Kolari has been utterly professional and extremely pleasant to deal with. I requested a shipping box from then and expedited service for my M9. The shipping box arrived at my house on a Tuesday afternoon. I immediately took the box with camera to the US PST Office and exactly one week later my Kolari serviced M9 arrived back at my place. Originally I had only requested to swap out the corroded sensor cover glass. But when I informed them about occasional vertical lines in images, indicating an intermittent problem, they pointed out that as part of their service offerings they could also swap out the sensor. I asked them to do so and they did.

As I mentioned before because I chose their Schott BG61 cover glass, Kolari issued a lifetime warranty against corrosion for my M9. Indeed that’s a hell of a lot better situation than what I encountered when I bought my M9 in 2009.

pegelli

First Outing with my Leica M9 after Kolari swapped out Sensor and Cover Glass :)

Leica M9 + Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. @ f/11, DxO PL6.
Really great to hear Kolari did a good job on your M9. Looking at the results above and imagining the fun and satisfaction you will have from using a "good as new" M9 it's probably worth every penny you spent on this camera revamp. Looking forward to many more photo's you take with it.

k-hawinkler

Really great to hear Kolari did a good job on your M9. Looking at the results above and imagining the fun and satisfaction you will have from using a "good as new" M9 it's probably worth every penny you spent on this camera revamp. Looking forward to many more photo's you take with it.
Thank you so much Pieter for your encouragement and feedback, much appreciated.
Breathing new life into my old M9 was the right think to do and I feel great about it.
I already know how to handle its quirks. ;)
Photography is fun again.
In part thanks to you Pieter.

k-hawinkler

This lot has an unobstructable view.

The house being built here has the best view in the entire subdivision.
Santa Fe Baldy peak straight ahead, Santa Fe Ski area little to the right.

Leica M9 + Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. @ f/11, 1/750 s, ISO 160, DxO PL6.