The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom Classic Question

rollsman44

When I import my images from a card reader to LR and I make a few adjustments: Can I just Close out of LR without going through the Export images and have the adjustments saved?

I am trying to avoid my image size being reduced from my Original size files. EX: If I make my adjustments in LR and select the images and Export them. How do I keep the file size close to the original size.
I have 2 Options when I export the images. Check the Box and put in a resolution size( 5000 v 2000) or Dont check the file size box. Thats what I am a little confused on
Bottom Line: How to Import Raw files and keep the file size as close to the original file size. Thank you, I appreciate any suggestions

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
All your edits are saved when you quit. It is never necessary to export unless you want a JPG or TIFF to send to someone or upload somewhere. They can also be backed up at a frequency of your choosing (you will be prompted). As far as export, simply don't check the file size box and they will export at full size.

If you want to edit the image in PS (or Nik or Topaz or something else), you can do that from within LR and when you quit that other program, a TIFF will be put back in your LR library and the file stored in the same folder as the original.

rollsman44

This might sound like a stupid question
When I Import my Images into LR Classic I make my adjustments. Then I have to Export them to a folder on my desktop
I still Have to Export them to save the adjustments I made. Am I correct so far?
When finished with my adjustments from my Raw files I go to Export and DONT Check the File size box and continue with Exporting process?
Just want to make sure I understood. Thanks

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
This might sound like a stupid question
When I Import my Images into LR Classic I make my adjustments. Then I have to Export them to a folder on my desktop
I still Have to Export them to save the adjustments I made. Am I correct so far?
When finished with my adjustments from my Raw files I go to Export and DONT Check the File size box and continue with Exporting process?
Just want to make sure I understood. Thanks
I you export them "normally", your changes will be visible, but the picture is done - the exported image has no history. If you want to export an image so that it can be imported elsewhere with the LR edits still editable - that is, history intact, you have to "Export as Catalog". That will take all selected photos and make a new LR catalog that will look exactly like a subset of your current catalog. Photos will be duplicated, so you won't change the original by editing the new ones. You can then, if you like import this new catalog into, say, a large one. I do this sometimes. Usually, I import the entire small catalog that I've been keeping in DropBox into my master catalog on the RAID array (backed up 16 different ways etc. etc.), but sometimes I'll take a subset, export as a small catalog, and do the same.

All edits are saved in your catalog whether you export or not. They are lossless, i.e., the original file is not touched. Normally exporting the image gets something that you could email to someone or put up on a website.

Am I answering your question?

Matt

Geoff

Hoping to get a simple answer to a rather not-so-savvy question:

Am struggling with an overall issue with LR - typically using C1, with a different session for each shooting event, or even a separate catalog (say for each year). Makes sense as a bunch of standalone files.

In contrast to this, LR seems to want everything in one library? I guess its possible to have different libraries, but is this as simple as in C1?

The reason for asking is that I have some huge (10,000 image) Aperture libraries which (finally) have to be exported to either C1 or LR, but should not be part of a more general LR library. Seems simpler to have separate C1 catalogs, or am I missing something in LR?

Thanks.
Geoff

darr

Hi Geoff,

Yes, you can create multiple catalogs in LR.
Go to the FILE Menu, and ask to create a NEW catalog and/or OPEN a specific catalog:

Best,
Darr