The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New retro Nikon Zfc

Thorkil

Just had an email in from Wex Photographic that the Zfc, body only, that I ordered a month ago is on its way to me. I should get it tomorrow.
(y)(y)
despite of what I tried to tell above, I ordered one yesterday, but had my doubts today, but now, after severe reconsiderations.. I will collect it in the store tomorrow, with just a 16-50 on it, no more, after reading the following at photographylife, (and hitting gold), about the lens, specially not bad at 16mm, where I intend foremost to use it, for casual and street shots, including trying to regain my "funny mood" (who have left me for the time being, long trime it seems), doing the silly shots I used to enjoy years ago..
and considering to use my Fuji X-E3 for this purpose I read something about the Zfc feeling so much more secure compared to the X-T30, which instantly referred to my own experience feeling enormously secure and confident med my Z7 compared to X-T2/3, that I considered that this could be the mind-gamechanger for me to overrule my previous decision not to invest in any more gear for a long period (and overrule the X-E3 choise too)..(well at least my pilgrim-period lasted about more than a year .. "very long time")

Darin Marcus

The Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR is a very good kit lens - I've had a lot of fun with it on the Z50.
In Nikon software it locks auto distortion correction ON, just like the 24-70mm f/4.

Thorkil

I'm no psychologist, but the above sounds kind of like me when I'm trying to justify something to myself

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm aware...but still, I'll take the chance an see how the pill will work :)
(but by the way the Z7 turned out to become my "getting-home" camera, and if I just can transfer some 40-70% of that feeling to the cf, I will be satiesfied :))

jlancasterd

I have both the 16-50 f/3.5-6.3 and the 24-200 f/4-6.3, which should make a good, lightweight, touring kit with the Zfc – when the borders finally reopen! Having just entered my 9th decade, the weight of a camera system is more of an issue than it used to be.

Thorkil

Now this seems to be rather interesting, from Ricci-talks
in the middle Ricci claims that Nikon has implemented all the AF systems from Z7II/Z6II into Z fc, eye and facedetection from human and animals, and it seems to work rather quick.
Haven´´t tried out the camera yet, and for once in my life I think I have to read somewhat in the instructions before jumping out in it.

jlancasterd

Now this seems to be rather interesting, from Ricci-talks
in the middle Ricci claims that Nikon has implemented all the AF systems from Z7II/Z6II into Z fc, eye and facedetection from human and animals, and it seems to work rather quick.
Haven´´t tried out the camera yet, and for once in my life I think I have to read somewhat in the instructions before jumping out in it.
Coming from a long association with Leica M and R cameras, one of the first things I did with my Z fc was to turn off most of the autofocus options so that I'm left with a single point of focus that I can position anywhere I want, and I can be sure it stays there. I also use all of my cameras on manual with auto-ISO. My default setting is 1/500 at f8, going to a higher speed only for moving objects, and going down as far as ⅛ or even ¼ sec for dim interiors, hand-held (I love IBIS and stabilised lenses!). I also shoot RAW for all the usual reasons.

Thorkil

Coming from a long association with Leica M and R cameras, one of the first things I did with my Z fc was to turn off most of the autofocus options so that I'm left with a single point of focus that I can position anywhere I want, and I can be sure it stays there. I also use all of my cameras on manual with auto-ISO. My default setting is 1/500 at f8, going to a higher speed only for moving objects, and going down as far as ⅛ or even ¼ sec for dim interiors, hand-held (I love IBIS and stabilised lenses!). I also shoot RAW for all the usual reasons.
Yes, that’s what I do too, square in the center, focus, compose and shoot.

Never used tracking/detection, normally center auto focus, then sometimes by the hipshots prefocus with f8 or higher to give a certain field/range of luck, close to people.
But perhaps I could give it a try experimenting with the auto face- and eye detection, who knows if it could make wonders, but I'll be sceptic about sufficient quick reacting time, passing close to people – manual focus decision/prefocus with auto iso will give the camera only one thing to consider and set, and that ultrashort reactingspeed will have no competition, I would presume.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I never used auto AF either, even after experimenting with it on each generation Nikon body. That is until the day I experimented with the Z7ii's. Yes, there is a a learning curve to gain the trust that it is actually doing what you hope it's doing. But end of day it works far faster and better for 90% of images than I can. There are around 10% where I revert to center spot AF, focus and re-compose, but those are mostly situations where I know the area I want to focus on is outside my normally set wide-area AF zone and does not contain a person or animal ;)

Thorkil

I never used auto AF either, even after experimenting with it on each generation Nikon body. That is until the day I experimented with the Z7ii's. Yes, there is a a learning curve to gain the trust that it is actually doing what you hope it's doing. But end of day it works far faster and better for 90% of images than I can. There are around 10% where I revert to center spot AF, focus and re-compose, but those are mostly situations where I know the area I want to focus on is outside my normally set wide-area AF zone and does not contain a person or animal ;)
Yes, then I will certainly try it out in the city of Copenhagen...the heaviest challange for now, is to get there...:p

Thorkil

Well, this is just a small 1Mb JPG file straight out of the camera, while the NEF-file would not be imported in C1, I really don't know why. I tried to change the name in EXIF Pilot, but didn't help.
I'll have to ask Phase One if it's caused by lacking support
Just at hasty shot, all at manual:
Nikon Z fc with 16-50/3.5-6.3 at 16mm, f3.5, Matrix lightmeetering, no light-compensation, Manual focus at the airvent in the lamp, iso100, 1/125.
I actually like the bokeh and drawing so far(!)

thorkil

Thorkil

This is the answer I already got from C1 support:

"Hi Thorkil,

Currently, Capture One does not support that camera model, although our R&D department is constantly working to bring support for new cameras.

You can leave a camera support request on our Forum here.

Every camera profile carefully is done In-house by the engineers in our R&D department and this takes a bit of time, but rest assured that all is done with the interest of making the best software we can.

We have introduced this new way of formally requesting camera support, in an effort to make requests more visible to our Product Owners, so they can prioritize the most requested cameras and speed up support.

Best regards,
Victor
Capture One Support

We encourage you to browse our Help Center for detailed product documentation, helpful pro tips, and much more."

So, one has to try to do with some patience....sigh..

Darin Marcus

Well, this is just a small 1Mb JPG file straight out of the camera, while the NEF-file would not be imported in C1, I really don't know why. I tried to change the name in EXIF Pilot, but didn't help.
I'll have to ask Phase One if it's caused by lacking support
Just at hasty shot, all at manual:
Nikon Z fc with 16-50/3.5-6.3 at 16mm, f3.5, Matrix lightmeetering, no light-compensation, Manual focus at the airvent in the lamp, iso100, 1/125.
I actually like the bokeh and drawing so far(!)

thorkil
You can temporarily use Nikon’s NX Studio to process Zfc NEFs - until C1 adds support.

Thorkil

You can temporarily use Nikon’s NX Studio to process Zfc NEFs - until C1 adds support.
Yes Darin, I have always used only C1 in digital life, but yesterday I downloaded the NX Studio. Well it crashed several time, but tonight, when I ought to be sleeping, I came by that it might have been while I renamed the camera name in the NEF's EXIF file, so I guess the NX got confused, but then I just came by too, that I might just instead use the NX Studio for converting the NEF's to TIFF files, raising the small NEF file from from 22Mb to 121Mb - and then BINGO, back in C1 I was this morning :D(y), and while I have put 4 internal HDD drives with a total of 30 Tb inside my fast stationary, I wont run out of space for the time being...:), so C1 can just sleep a couple of weeks more..

Thorkil

Last edited:

Darin Marcus

Yeah, NX Studio is v1.01 software that still lacks a few important things, among them the ability to Undo changes. I experience no crashes with it on macOS.

And I too export to 16bit TIFFs to put the finishing touches and resize for the web in Lightroom Classic :)

Thorkil

Well, first of all I'm very very sorry for my dirty and messy drawing-table !
But succeded doing a bit aperture stacking.
3 pictures with 1EV in difference. Converted them in NX Studio to TIFF 16 bitt, merged them in Helicon Focus, exported as TIFF, imported in C1, converted to jpg.
I'm new to that, but it seems that it throw some kind of 3-D effect in the focussed area. It's having a bit fun...

Nikon Zfc with DX 16-50/3.5-6.3VR at iso 280 1/125 f3.5 16mm through C1pro21, autofocus on pencil-lines
Thorkil