The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon Z 800mm f/6.3

aksclix

dpreview review is out and happily surprised by the price on this lens.. will most likely preorder it 😍

$6499 is quite an impressive price

Swissblad

I can see this becoming a firm favourite with bird photographers...goodbye heavy 600mm f4.0 with TCs!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This lens is going to be a real winner and at a decent price for an "Uber" Nikon telephoto . The issue is for what subjects ( I am trying to convince myself I need it !) .If you live or spend a lot of time in Florida ..you have so much to photograph . I used my 600/4 for :

1. Polo (Palm Beach International Polo Club ) was free and jan/feb/mar . Walk right on the field with a 600.
2. Spring Training (Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter ) let me shoot from the stands with a 600mm lens .
3. Auto Racing (Sebring )
4. Surfing (near Juno Beach Pier )
5. Everglades (about 3 hours drive ) . Ding Darling preserve near Sanibel Island. Merritt Island wildlife preserve .

Too long for tennis and most Youth sports . Now that I have relocated back to Atlanta (to be with family ) ...I miss those long lens opportunities . And most events (like the US Open Tennis ) you are limited to 300mm lenses . I bring a 1.4x and 2x converter.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm with you Roger; the price is certainly compelling but I don't know how much I'd use it... I owned one of the original manual focus versions of the 800/5.6 back when did a lot of birding. If I was still a birder, or even a real wildlife photographer, it would already be on order. As it is, I await seeing the test results for the yet released 200-600 Z...

jduncan

dpreview review is out and happily surprised by the price on this lens.. will most likely preorder it 😍

$6499 is quite an impressive price

Here is another review, He is a great nature photographer and in love with the lens.

This is just a preview:

I will love if Mark Smith was able to review it. Granted he is working with Sony, but he was proven to be "objetive" with the other brands.
Nikon could have done it far more amazing by using a modern motor and les ED and more FL. (lighter) but they also wanted to hit a price target and they did.

Weight wise is pretty close to a. 150-600mm (so not as light) , it's similar to them in terms of aperture and has a. 23% more reach at 3 times to 7 times the price.
One looses the zoom flexibility but wins a faster AF.

This lens is going to be a hot item at the rental houses.

Best regards.

aksclix

Oh yea.. I’ve seen this guys content (of other gear) and it’s really good! Will check this out today