The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic and Leica sign strategic agreement for joint development

TechTalk

I can't see any reason for concern. Reading online comments causes me to worry that too many people worry too much.

iiiNelson

The concerns are mostly from the Panasonic side with their newest CEO making major changes and forcing shake-ups. I’ve been watching the LMA closely as an owner. My concern isn’t with Leica at all… just that it seems like a LMA rework. Knowing Sigma was seemingly unhappy with the lack of market growth from the LMA, and Leica/Panasonic not being as competitive on the tech side of things when it comes to the flagships for photo applications.

Maybe it’s me but it seems like a last ditch effort that may or may not payoff.

TechTalk

Thanks for following up to fill in some detail on your previous comment. I've only casually followed developments with the L-mount or L-Mount Alliance (LMA). I'm sure that you know more about its history and development than myself.

Generally speaking, I like to see cooperation among companies in technology development. But like everything else in life, it's the unique nature of the individual participants and how well they mix that determines the results.

Best regards to you.

iiiNelson

Thanks for following up to fill in some detail on your previous comment. I've only casually followed developments with the L-mount or L-Mount Alliance (LMA). I'm sure that you know more about its history and development than myself.

Generally speaking, I like to see cooperation among companies in technology development. But like everything else in life, it's the unique nature of the individual participants and how well they mix that determines the results.

Best regards to you.
Yeah I think many would love to see the idea of the LMA workout. I’m not sure it will but this looks like an updated attempt at it. Sigma always seemed to have one foot in the water and one out. Maybe this version works out better but the reality is that the marketing of L-mount needs to be much better.

msadat

I think this was nothing but marketing deploy to say, we are still here, stronger and working together. Panasonic has been helping Leica since the original sl. I think the challenge for them is to pick/find a nitch that they can grow. right now they are almost lost in the shuffle, between sony, canon, and the revived Nikon.