The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic GX9 ... impulse buy

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I recently aquired a GX9 as a sibling for my GX7 , which I already have for many years .
But the GX7 was an orphant and hardly used . Therefore I will try to make a second start into MFT .
Today was the very first real springtime day and I took the GX9 for a walk to KEMPTEN in south Germany .
GX9 + PANASONIC LEICA DG VARIO ELMARIT 12-35 f2,8 . A nice combo .
My first impression is , that this camera is somehow not really made for my hands . My fingers are too often on buttons they should not be on .
I will describe this in an other post .

What I experience very often is that the aperture value is increased , because my thumb seems to unnoticed turn the aperture wheel .
Also I found the AF field is moved uncontrolled , mostly to the left bottom of the display screen . I have not found out yet , how this happens .
The WB setting sometimes is set to FLASH WB .
What is your experience with the GX9 handling ? KEMPTEN 115 1.0.jpg

Knorp

A common issue I found with touch screens is that settings as by magic change.
You could switch it off, as I did for all my cameras, and see if things improve.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thanks Bart for your feedback. I found a "nose focussing" thread in the old DPreview and other hints , which I will all check for a possibility of the "magic things" happening .

BarbaraJ

I don't use the viewfinder that much since I tend to shoot from the waist and then my left hand cradles the lens and I use my thumb on the shutter button. Try keeping both eyes open and use your right eye for the viewfinder, will keep your face off the touch screen and you'll get less wrinkles. The GX9 body shape is not for everyone. I settled on this camera style because it felt familiar, I learned on an old Nikon S2.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thank you Barbara for your friendly response and your hints . :) (y)
You can be sure , that I will try everthing to improve my handling . The japanese designers must really have very small fingers .
I found , that I am not the only one experiencing handling issues with the GX9 .

BarbaraJ

When I was shopping for a camera I tried one of the new Sonys. Jumbled out of my hands so quickly I almost dropped it. Salesperson acted shocked.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you Barbara for your friendly response and your hints . :) (y)
You can be sure , that I will try everthing to improve my handling . The japanese designers must really have very small fingers .
I found , that I am not the only one experiencing handling issues with the GX9 .
I assume you haven't tried the GM5, the much loved miniature version of anything miniature.

I always liked the size of the GX9, but haven't bought one so far, partly due to the viewfinder being inferior to that of the GX8 and partly because I own both the GM5 and the GX8. However, with my GM5 falling apart, I'm considering one. While the ergonomics aren't as good as the GX8, they are vastly better than with the GM5 with require a loupe and tweezers to be handled comfortably. I do wish it had the viewfinder of the GX8 though, since I use the viewfinder a lot.