The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Questions for Tilt-Shift Users using a GFX

Don Libby

I was supposed to be on a trip however I fell ill to a severe case of allergies to include vertigo so no trip for me. I’m into the 5th day and beginning to feel better and can now walk without looking like a drunk sailor

With time on my hands I’ve begun researching tilt shit lenses for my GFX100s. I really don’t have a problem with the lens as that (at least for me is straight forward) and will go with a Canon 24mm tilt-shift. The major issue I have is finding information on an adaptor.

I’ve begun thinking of getting a Metabones adaptor and am looking at 2-different ones. Both are “Smart Adaptors” that will allow me to have control over the aperture. While both have auto focus I won’t need it due to the lens design. My question is this – will I be better off using the new EF to GFX T Smart Adaptor or the 1.26 Expander? I can see the need for the expander on any other lens other than the tilt-shift; I’m just uncertain if the 1.26 expansion is necessary for the 24mm tilt-shift.

Can’t find the answer.

And a bonus to not being able to walk right is being attached to a chair and working on a computer doing all sorts of Google quests. I found a neat collar attachment for the 24 tilt-shift that allows for flat stitching by having the lens firmly attached to the tripod and moving the camera. TSE FRAME for Canon TS-E 17mm and TS-E 24mm II lens – ROGETI

Any suggestions, recommendations on an adaptor is appreciated. What works best etc...

Don

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Don,

Get the Laowa 17mm. Adapters are all unstable, fail at the worst moment, and the GFX100s has pixels to burn. The 17mm is sharp and linear. You can correct perspective in post, but make sure you DO have enough image at the bottom of the screen. For instance, even if the final image is going to be portrait orientation, you may want to shoot landscape.

My 2p,

Matt

Don Libby

Matt, I have the Laowa and the GF23 and like using the 23 much more. I think the adaptor is the weak link for the 24 tilt and am looking for feedback of which is the best of the worse.

I also don't think I'd need the expander as the IC is big enough.

Don Libby

I had hoped to hear from at least one person who has experience using a Canon Tilt-Shift lens with a GFX....

Don Libby

I had hoped to hear from at least one person who has experience using a Canon Tilt-Shift lens with a GFX....
I edited the thread title in hopes of reaching a broader audience. I'd like to hear experiences from folks who have used a tilt-shift lens on their GFX. What works best, what hasn't etc. I'm interested in the Canon 24mm as that's the FL I'm more interested in but want to learn from all who use maybe a different lens. How many adaptors did you have to go through before finding the one that works best for you....

Thanks again

algrove

No help here, Don. I have been toying with the idea of getting a Hartblei tilt lens since I wonder if the Canon completely fills the frame without vignetting. I emailed them many weeks ago without reply. Disappointing.

Don Libby

No help here, Don. I have been toying with the idea of getting a Hartblei tilt lens since I wonder if the Canon completely fills the frame without vignetting. I emailed them many weeks ago without reply. Disappointing.
I had the chance to try a Canon 17mm with Cambo adaptor shortly after the GFX was released and while I liked the lens I ended up hating the adaptor as I could not see the screen; too tiny and in bight sunlight just did not work.

The 17 worked well and only vignette at the extreme. While I haven't actually tried the 24 I have read that the IC is larger. If the 24 t/s actually performs as I hope it will I'll be getting rid of my 23 and Laowa 17.

I'm down to a Fotodiox (have used them before in other applications) and Kipon.

Sucks being sick :sick: but at least I'm busy researching :)

algrove

Just checked Hartblei site again ( I thought they were German, but not now) and I see they made a T/S PC adapter for Fujis in addition to their T/SPC 80 for the Fiji GFX mount.

Trust you'll be out of the woods soon.
Lou

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Don,

Perhaps I should have said. I have used the Canon 24 TS-E on both the X1D and the GFX100. On the GFX100, with both magnifying and non-magnifying adapters. I chose to stick with native mount primes after that experience. The 21mm X1D lens wasn't wide enough for perspective correction. The 17mm on the GFX100 was.

This is straight OOC with the Canon 24 TS-E on the GFX100 w/ Techart adapter. (The corner of 34th and 9th avenue happens to be the location of B&H. Total coincidence.) We're at f/11, 1/80th sec. The lower part of the image (center of image circle) is sharp enough. The upper third of the building is noticeably less sharp. Not terrible, mind you, just a waste of the resolution. A 24MP camera would have done as well. Centered, it is a very sharp lens. Not Fuji 23, sharp, but very pleasing.

Untitled by Matthew Grayson, on Flickr

On reflection, I think my bias stems from being largely a hand-held shooter - even for architecture. On a tripod, movements are much more useful!

Matt

Last edited:
Hi Don, I use the GFX 50R with the Canon 24mm TS-E II and the Kipon Auto adapter. It's solid, no play, you can set the f stop on camera. I've had Kipon adapters for 4. years now. The only one that had some play was my first Tilt Shift adapter for the Sony. You can find them in Adorama most likely.

Don Libby

Great info Antonio and thanks for sharing. I was down to 2-choices, either a Fotodiox or Kipon and have decided on the Kipon. The lens and adaptor have been ordered and I received an email that the lens collar will be her Monday. I should have everything by Wed which by then I should be over this sinus crap.

pigtango

HI Don,
I use the Canon 24TSE on a 50S with the Cambo aperture adapter (Not the one for the Actus). It seems to work well. It allows you to set the aperture on the lens, but does not transmit that info to the camera. In that sense it is a dumb adapter. Prior to the Cambo, I did try the Kipon smart adapter that does allow full electronic control of focus and aperture from the camera. It seemed to function well, but I think I remember that it *may* have caused more internal reflections or something like that. The Cambo one I think was primarily designed for use with Tilt shift lenses and I think had a larger internal throat. Either way, works well for TS lenses and I don’t have any problems with it. Antonio Might be able to weigh in more on the other one Since he has it...

Don Libby

I've been testing the 24TSE and Kipon adaptor off and on for the past couple days and have been very pleased. I plan on testing/learning for a couple more days before heading to an area than I've wanted to shoot with lens. So far no issues with the Kipon and I'm also very pleased with the ROGETI TSE frame (its more like a collar). I've been able to flat stitch with it on and must remove it if I need to tilt - just a metter of loosening one screen and lifting out of the cradle. I'll repost more later

I have the 50S and the 24mm TS-E II. I recently purchased the Metabones 1.26x and unfortunately it is headed back. It produced worse corners at full shift than just cropping the original image. It seems to work well on other primes lenses, particularly longer focal lengths.

I can get about 5-6mm of clean shift with the 50S and Canon 24mm TS-E II. After that, it starts to get a little "mushy". This is just purely down to the originally designed image circle of the lens. I also recently received the 50mm TS-E and that is amazing. Can do a whole 12mm and it is clean.

I use the Steelsring E0s - GFX adapter. No issues with this adapter.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better! :)

Don Libby

Many thanks to all for your responses and image samples.

I currently have 2-smart adaptors one of which I've been using 99% of the time (Kipon) with no issues whatsoever. I'm very pleased with the files I'm getting using the 24mm TSE and might in the future add a 90mm. I'm also very pleased with the ROGETI TSE Frame (I still see this as more of a collar). I'm able to flat shift the lens using this an on the rare occasions when I need to tilt can very easily remove the lens.

I can get a full frame image with the lens centered and can shift almost to the stops before encountering vigneting. I also found I need to be very careful when using filters.

All in all I can't say enough good things about the 100s, lens, adaptor and lens frame.

I've been posting test images on Mt Fuji ...

Don