The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Election results...

Shashin

But not that election...

What gear gets your vote this year!

I have already voted for a second Fuji X Pro2 body!!

And soon will get to thank Darr for a matching grip!!!

darr

But not that election...
:eek:🙃☮

This year I acquired a very nice Hasselblad CFi 100/3.5 lens at a fair price.
Smaller size, super sharp, and when I have shot into the sun, I see no flare.
So this year the CFi 100/3.5 is my little treasure.

The X-Pro3 has been an excellent workhorse at the digitizing station, and I almost feel guilty leaving her there, but my X-Pro2 tells me to leave her home.
So happy you will have the grip Will!

I appreciate your humor,
Darr

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm on a very small budget this year, and had decided to stay with my two Panasonic GX8 bodies. I did however need a camera with better video options and quality, so got a G85 a couple of weeks ago. I do need a portrait lens, but for the time being, that's on hold.

Earlier this year, I bought a Billingham 225 bag from a fellow member. I would have saved a lot of money that I've wasted on almost good camera bags the last ten years if I had bought the Billingham earlier. This very compact bag rooms my three camera bodies, 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye, 25mm f/1.7, 45mm f/2.8 Macro, 7-14mm f/4, 12-40mm f/2.8 and 100-300mm f/4-5.6 and batteries, charger etc. There's room for a portrait lens also, and the MacBook 12" fits in one of the front pockets.

pegelli

Last year (2019) I bought a Leica M Elmar 135/4. This year (2020) I found a SHOOC viewfinder to be able to use it on my M2 and acquiring this combo has led to an uptick of my interest in shooting film. I'm enjoying it very much so for this year (and probably next year) I vote for all my film equipment. Not that I won't shoot digital, but film has taken a much larger share.

Godfrey

I have acquired two new cameras this year: The Hasselblad 907x that I ordered last year and a Panasonic GX9 body. Do I have to choose between them for my 2020 pick? :D

They're both terrific. The Panasonic is small, light, inexpensive, and, with the Olympus Body Cap Lenses (15/8 and 9/8 Fish-eye), a perfect match to my bicycling adventures. The Hasselblad 907x is without a doubt the best performing camera I've worked with when it comes to imaging quality, and it revitalizes my entire kit of Hasselblad gear. So they're both right on the peak of the graph for me.

G

tcdeveau

At the moment, and until I can get back to doing landscape photograph, Leica M10 Monochrom for me. It's been a lot of fun to use being cooped up in my house.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This year was my transition to the Nikon Z system. I had sold off my entire Nikon DSLR kit and all of my F mount glass in prep for this. I then repurchased a simpler Z kit. With the move to mirrorless, I've also been able to acquire and adapt a few older-design "look" lenses in the focal ranges I wanted.

diforbes

This year was my transition to the Nikon Z system. I had sold off my entire Nikon DSLR kit and all of my F mount glass in prep for this. I then repurchased a simpler Z kit. With the move to mirrorless, I've also been able to acquire and adapt a few older-design "look" lenses in the focal ranges I wanted.
This is the system I would have moved to if going to fullframe as I used to use a variety of Nikon bodies and lenses. Which vintage lenses have you acquired to adapt?

JoelM

I'm contemplating a Leica M10,P,R or the Fuji 50r. I already have the M lenses so there is some savings there, but the Fuji files are beautiful.
Joel

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
This is the system I would have moved to if going to fullframe as I used to use a variety of Nikon bodies and lenses. Which vintage lenses have you acquired to adapt?
Just a couple Petzval lens designs, one around 35mm and another around 60mm. I also just picked up an older copy of the 50/1.2. There are some interesting discoveries about this lens I will share in a dedicated thread later on it, but basically it is a lens I will tape the aperture ring wide open on as that's the only way I ever intend to shoot with it ;)

Oh, and I did pick up another F mount, a 105 VR macro to use until the dedicated S version is released.

diforbes

Just a couple Petzval lens designs, one around 35mm and another around 60mm. I also just picked up an older copy of the 50/1.2. There are some interesting discoveries about this lens I will share in a dedicated thread later on it, but basically it is a lens I will tape the aperture ring wide open on as that's the only way I ever intend to shoot with it ;)

Oh, and I did pick up another F mount, a 105 VR macro to use until the dedicated S version is released.
Thanks for the reply. Happy shooting!

stngoldberg

I bought into the Sony system (A9 and A7r4) along with several of the G master lenses after selling all my Nikon gear.
The menu system was quite a challenge to overcome, but I feel comfortable with the cameras now.
The files out of the cameras are good, but they don’t compare with the files out of my Phase One 100 megapixel back; as a result, I only use the Sony camera for wildlife and sports.
Stanley

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

My vote went to the Phase One XT. I'm loving using my knowledge to do everything manually - and in a more contemplative fashion. It's like going back to my childhood only with rather better image quality!

anyone

My all-time vote goes to the Hasselblad 500C/M, since this year paired with the IQ1 60. The perfect combination for me! Second goes to the Chamonix C45f-2 which is a joy to use, followed suit by the Cambo WDS.

jdphoto

My vote is for the Canon RP. I've used this little camera more than any other, including MFD. The sensor, along with Canon colors, have a cinema-like quality that is very appealing to me. Also, because it doesn't have 12 stops of dynamic range, I shoot it like E6 film and the results are amazing, especially when using FD and EF lenses. The form factor reminds me of a film camera, so there's that too.

olafphoto

Administrator
Staff member
Usually it is hard to pick on candidate but this year it is easy. For me the most unique, innovative and fun camera is the Hasselblad 907X 50c. I have to say that from the industrial design perspective it is currently the most beautiful camera on the market. It definitely gets my vote!

©osztaba_907X_20201013__DSF0815-GetDPI-2.jpg

Last edited:

JoelM

Well, I was dead set on an M10 of sorts, but just spring for an M9. Figured that the CCD look would be a nice addition as I already have a 42mp digital camera. Should go well with the M4-P and hopefully, I don't need to worry much about non-coded lenses since I don't have any that are coded.
Joel

Godfrey

The M9 allows you to set the lens profile manually, if you find them useful. I always did, there were improvements to most lenses' rendering from 50mm and down IMO.

A lot of people ballyhoo the CCD look from the M9 and particularly liked its JPEG rendering. Personally, I didn't find the in-camera JPEG engine did anything for me at all, and I don't see much different between my M9 vs M 240 and M 262 raw files, except that the latter two are slightly higher resolution. My biggest issue with the M9, rendering and ISO limits aside, was its lack of responsiveness, which the later models all improved upon. That said, many people love the M9 look and feel more than the others. I hope it works out that way for you. :)

G

4season

Who knew 2020 would be a good shopping year for me, but my eBay sales were stronger than expected, and I kept myself busy selling off both film and digital gear which wasn't seeing a lot of use. And from those funds, I upgraded my first-generation Sony A7 to an A7R4. Wow, a "few" improvements have been made since 2013 and 4 hardware generations, not the least of which is the higher-capacity battery.