The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander Heliar 4.5/83mm

arri

This week I finished the rehousing for my Voigtlander Heliar 4.5/83mm
The lens is out of a rare Voigtlander camera, made in 1928, I guess it is a Bessa 129 which has the frame size 5x8cm.
Here´s a picture of a similar camera in much better condition:

The lens cells are srewed in an old Compur 00 shutter which has different diameter and threads to the modern shutter. So I have to turn adapter rings to use the lens with an aperture barrel with helicoid, I used one of a Schneider Componar.
It needs an extra socket for the flange focal distance, finally I gave the lens an universal T2 mount to make it usable with nearly every camera system, analog or digital.

Today I shot film with this lens.
I used an Ilford HP5+ and the Wehner Developer.
I guess I really like this Heliar, it has a very special kind of sharpness, not really sharp as a rasor. I used f/4.5, especially the background has a unique look.
It is like descpriped in a lot of reports about this lens, it is the classic Heliar design, the later and faster f/3.5 version has a different look.

Last edited:

Joeintoronto

Hi,
I have also become interested in the Heliar. I have started with a Bessa 2 that is in rough shape, but until I get that restored I have been enjoying the Color Heliar 105 3.5 on my Linhof, with a leaf Aptus digital back, attached are a couple samples. I have just started on a much older Heliar 150mm that is in a compound shutter that needs some serious attention, will get back to you about that one.
I also found the sharpness to have unique qualities and the backgrounds do some interesting things, I love the way it renders colour45401C46-4DAE-4D4E-B213-280BC7580097.jpegF9D1CB62-8D39-43C3-886E-CA41447CD66E.jpeg2141CFB2-F368-4614-8784-6C3C25BB8C7F.jpeg