The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wonder if XT-5 with M adapter or PIXII for M lenses the better choice?

algrove

Perhaps a strange request, but both are APS-C and both can use Leica M lenses. Anyone tried both with same M lenses?

The Fuji has more flexibility since it can also use Fuji AF lenses, but PIXII is purpose built for M lens use even though price about US1k more than Fuji with adapter.

PIXII only serviced in France it appears.

DDudenbostel

Surprised there’s been no response.

My experience with both my X-E1 and X-T3 with Leica lenses, very disappointing. I have a v1 8 element 35 Summicron, Rigid 5cm Summicron, 75 Summilux, 90 Summicron from the 70’s, 90 Elmarit not tele version, 35 f2 Biogon and 50 f2 Planar. The two Zeiss are the current M versions. I also have a 1st version 15 Voigtlander. The lenses 50mm and shorter aren’t very good on either camera. Corners smear and are soft wide open and get better by 5.6 or 8 but why if you have to stop down that much. Fuji lenses are much better in every way.

The 75 and 90 Summicron are ok. I’ve not done a critical analysis but again why bother when Fuji glass easily outperforms it. Last, the 90 Elmarit is very low contrast and not terribly sharp.

I use Nikkor AIs primes in my Nikon Df. I tried each of them on the X-T3 and was pleased with many of them. My 20 f3.5 AIs, the 52mm filter one is not so good, my 20 f3.5 UD, the one for the F, is pretty good. My 24 2.8 is fairly good and my non Ai 2nd model 2.8 is fairly good too. The 28 f2.8 is quite good and the old 3.5 non Ai is a dog. The 35 f2.8 non Ai is so so and the f1.4 AIs is very good at 2.8 and below. Coma is an issue wide open even with film but the images at 1.4 are very dreamy and nice. It’s thsame with my 50 f1.2 AIs. Thers coma until f2.8 then it’s very good. The old non Ai 50 f2 with the scalloped focusing ring is darn good from 2.8 on. The 85 f1.4 D is a touch soft at 1.4 but becomes excellent at 2-2.8. The 105 2.5 AIs (planar version) is excellent as is the 135 f3.5 AIs and my 180 f2.8 ED AIs is excellent wide open and stunning at 4. I also have an old 16mm f3.5 fisheye that’s very good.

Unfortunately my 105 f2.5 non Ai (Sonar version) won’t fit on my adapter. I’d love to try it and expect it to do very well. It looks great on my Df so I’d expect it to do well on the Fuji.

They’re different cameras and sensors but since buying my Df when they came out I primarily used AIs Nikkor primes for my commercial work with excellent results. They have a very nice character and produce images much more film like which I like.

I also use a few G series Nikkors on my X-T3. I have a Fringer adapter and use my 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 G VR II, 24 tilt shift and 85 tilt shift and could not be more pleased. These give stunning performance on the Fuji.

Forgot to mention my 60 micro f2.8 D. I use it on the Fringer and it may be the sharpest lens I’ve tried on the X-T3. Even wide open it’s extremely sharp out to the corners.