The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Z9

Photon42

I'm spending the winter in Florida and really wish I had the Z9 in my hands right now, as I'm heading to Ding Darling NWR shortly. I did get a shipment notification from B&H this morning which got my attention, but alas it's only for the FTZ2. :) (Not that I expect to see the Z9 this soon, despite placing my order within minutes of B&H accepting them.)
Just be happy you spend the winter in Florida :cool:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I doubt I'll see my Z9 anytime soon, so am I'm consoling myself with a Z 50/1.2 S until.

The 1.2 S is as technically flawless as the 1.8 S, even wide open, but with a lovely rendering while the 1.8 is slightly clinical (though less so than the other 1.8's). It's an unbelievable piece of glass!

tcdeveau

I doubt I'll see my Z9 anytime soon, so am I'm consoling myself with a Z 50/1.2 S until.

The 1.2 S is as technically flawless as the 1.8 S, even wide open, but with a lovely rendering while the 1.8 is slightly clinical (though less so than the other 1.8's). It's an unbelievable piece of glass!
the 50 1.2 is awesome, that a nice way to console yourself! It’ll be the first lens I throw on the Z9 for sure

tcdeveau

few cat pics for fun with the 50 1.2S

so far my impressions are positive. Much better AF than the Z6 I’m coming from (although I still need to dial it in). FWIW colors and wb in the jpegs in auto out of the box also seem a lot more consistent and better than the Z6. Balances with the 50 1.2 better than the Z6 (no surprise there), and some of the buttons that are more old school Nikon are nice too

4D756117-C564-4908-9A39-15D6320D80B6.jpeg9C9339D1-C579-4E1B-8973-8A6719D3C89C.jpeg

tcdeveau

something more than cat pics….this time with the 70-200 2.8S. Pretty confident at this point that AF is much better than the OG Z6 I’ve been using. Got lots of shots of focus in today that would never have had a chance on the Z6

536ABD72-6EF4-4412-8582-3B9D8C665260.jpeg
77AEB5E5-4645-4A2C-AD24-AAB6424D805E.jpeg

tcdeveau

I should note that the images I posted are 2 mp exports to the iPhone from Snapbridge that are not as sharp or detailed as the original files.

jduncan

New review, by someone that I admire a lot:

He is planning to do a follow up video.
He used to be a Nikon DSLR shooter, then he moved amazed by the possibilities of the A9 (if my memory is not failing about the model).
It seems that, reading between lines, he found some issues.
I hope all are solvable via Firmware. In any case his results are stellar.

Something around the electronic only shutter and it's problems can be find here: https://www.dpreview.com/interviews...ts-photographer-mark-pain-on-the-new-nikon-z9

I believe Nikon should do something to have independent reviews shoot the camera in low light conditions (AF) it seems to be amazing focusing in low light.
Particularly Wildlife, because wildlife is more than Birds.

Finally maybe is too late, I hope is not the case: sony-exclusive-equipment-partnership-canada-largest-news-organization-the-canadian-press
Sony is super aggressive and Nikon depends on the for the sensor technology (at the moment)

Best regards,

Swissblad

Any Z9 users out there.....am tempted...but it may be too much camera for my needs......;)
Curious about user experiences.

tcdeveau

Any Z9 users out there.....am tempted...but it may be too much camera for my needs......;)
Curious about user experiences.
anything in particular you want to know?

it’s working out well for my needs so far. Does a much better job with subject tracking AF than my Z6 which is why I got it. It’s overkill for family shots, which is what I’m using it for, but I’m getting many more in focus pics of my erratically fast moving children (3 yr and 1 yr) than I did with the Z6

Swissblad

anything in particular you want to know?

it’s working out well for my needs so far. Does a much better job with subject tracking AF than my Z6 which is why I got it. It’s overkill for family shots, which is what I’m using it for, but I’m getting many more in focus pics of my erratically fast moving children (3 yr and 1 yr) than I did with the Z6
Thanks - I'm mainly interested in subject tracking, and use for birding/wildlife and macro (use of the tilting screen) - which should be useful when working low down.
Fortunately there are now some decent reviews appearing online... ;)

Last edited: