The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GF1 with 500mm Rokkor

I went back to the Fort Worth Zoo today hoping that the Spring Break crowd had found other diversions.. it was much better. I took the GF1 and the Minolta 500mm Rokkor with me along with the 45-200mm Panny.

The shot below was taken with the Rokkor. The Rhino was about 30 to 40 yards away. This is not a crop. This is the full frame shot. I shot it at ISO 800 at 1/3200 because the lens is f/8 and I did not have a tripod with me. I bought the lens on eBay for $150. Mint condition, appears to have never been used. The lens is quite small due to its design.. a mirror lens... you can read about it here: http://www.rokkorfiles.com/500mm.htm

And here is my favorite primate portrait of the day... more on the website in the GF1 section.

pellicle

nice work ... did you do anything for contrast?

having a 300 at the moment I'm considering the 500 mirror lenses to compliment that. Seeing these images reminds me of the fact that by picking background that the donought OOF areas are not bad.

thanks for posting :)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Real nice Jim,
This is the first time I've seen a long shot that really turned me on . The portrait is beautiful. You've made good use of the lens. Thanks so much for posting what you see with it...

lcubed

great shots with the mirror lens. your pictures really take advantage of the strengths of that lens

nice work ... did you do anything for contrast?

having a 300 at the moment I'm considering the 500 mirror lenses to compliment that. Seeing these images reminds me of the fact that by picking background that the donought OOF areas are not bad.

thanks for posting :)
Just normal contrast adjustment. And you are right.. pick the right scene and you don't get the doughnuts. It's a nice lens to have as an option when you really need reach...just have a tripod handy and forget low light work with it without one.

Real nice Jim,
This is the first time I've seen a long shot that really turned me on . The portrait is beautiful. You've made good use of the lens. Thanks so much for posting what you see with it...
The Rhino shot was with the 50mm the Primate Portrait was taken with the the 45-200mm Panny lens.