The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2024

Whisp3r

ARC0001-P0004914-Melvinkobe-Photography.jpg

The new camera isn't part of my daily professional workflow yet, so I can happily post this in the 'fun'-section :) Art Deco building in my town (Gent, Belgium), arch. Fernand Brunfaut.
Learning how to handle the camera right now, it's not the most gentle learning curve but it feels gratifying. Arca Swiss RM3di, Phase One IQ4 150, Schneider-Kreuznach 43XL, 20mm rise.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
My sister-in-law has a summer house that was walking distance from the band of totality. We all drove a bit north to get over a minute of the good stuff. Now I had intended to spend that minute just staring in awe and not wasting it messing around with a camera. But I thought a nice landscape with a total eclipse in the sky might be cool, so I had the X2D and XCD 21 loaded and prefocused - manual exposure guessed on the basis of ... a guess. As it turned out, the eclipse was still way too bright for the landscape (makes sense, but I didn't think it through) - I ended up with vast black frames with tiny eclipses in them. Sigh...

So a VERY tight crop of the last second yielded:

Matt

P.S. Soup was staying with my older daughter while we were out of town. I'm not sure she's going to return him. Negotiations are ongoing.
P.P.S. During the run-up, a guy with a 600mm zoom on his Nikon was cursing because he couldn't find the sun. I told him the secret of zooming out all the way, frame the sun, then zoom in. Always practice at home, kids!
P.P.P.S. Totality is, as many have said, the most amazing possible sight.
P.P.... oh never mind ... One very weird and unexpected aspect of the event was the color temperature of the light as it faded. There was no sunset coloration. The light dimmed, but stayed daylight white. The whole world was the wrong color!

And here's after a 4x uprez with Topaz Gigapixel - not sure if it's worth it. No more detail, but you can blow it up without seeing the pixels.

Last edited:

pegelli

GFX50R + Leitz Elmar 35mm LTM [1946]
Acros-Red Camera Jpeg
Very nice, I like the toning in all these b&w's, and the first is very fitting for the series.
Does that ancient lens cover the entire sensor or did you have to crop a bit? Splendid result anyway!

drunkenspyder

From this week's eclipse. The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge in Dallas beneath totality. After days and weeks of increasingly dismal weather predictions, patchy clouds partially obscured the C1-C2 cycle—making it more interesting, as Matt noted above—and then the sky broke clear though hazy shortly before totality. The dimming light tripped all the bridge and street lighting. it wasn't quite the image I had planned, but it was close. And it was spectacular in person.
P0011235_45-FrameShop_JPEG Quality 95_MHHBridgeTotality.jpg
P1 XT IQ4.150 | Rodie 32

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
From this week's eclipse. The Margaret Hunt Hill Bridge in Dallas beneath totality. After days and weeks of increasingly dismal weather predictions, patchy clouds partially obscured the C1-C2 cycle—making it more interesting, as Matt noted above—and then the sky broke clear though hazy shortly before totality. The dimming light tripped all the bridge and street lighting. it wasn't quite the image I had planned, but it was close. And it was spectacular in person.
View attachment 212149
P1 XT IQ$.150 | Rodie 32
Damn! That's awesome.

I'm also surprised by the size of the sun/moon. Did you crop a bunch? Here's the full frame of the 21mm shot on an X2D, and that's wider than a 32mm on the IQ4150, but not twice as wide. I boosted this 2.5 stops. I can get some sky if I boost by 5 stops, but then the sun/moon is a blown out blob.

Matt (I REALLY wasn't trying to use a camera during totality. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.)

Last edited:

drunkenspyder

Damn! That's awesome.

I'm also surprised by the size of the sun/moon. Did you crop a bunch? Here's the full frame of the 21mm shot on an X2D, and that's wider than a 32mm on the IQ4150, but not twice as wide. I boosted this 2.5 stops. I can get some sky if I boost by 5 stops, but then the sun/moon is a blown out blob.

Matt (I REALLY wasn't trying to use a camera during totality. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.)
Matt, yes I cropped and did some perspective correction as well (notice the horizon tilt below the bridge, a natural aspect of that location, only some of which can be corrected without unpleasingly skewing the. bridge). That had the effect of mildly enlarging and distorting the sun/moon disc. Which I corrected. My original plan based on TPE and PhotoPils calculations was to shoot the bridge composition much more abstractly with a Mamiya 300, but given the steep ascension, no amount of placement anywhere that gave us a bridge view could accommodate that lens. Either a 150 or 70 (maybe with some stitching), might have done the trick, but those got left behind when my shooting partner and I decided to travel strictly carry-on. [As it was, I felt fortunate to have the Sony plus bigger lenses, the Phase and 32/300, a couple of TCs, and two tripods and clothing for 4 days. ]

Last edited:

drunkenspyder

... I agree with @jotloob - a first-class picture!

Something else that interests me @drunkenspyder,
did they actually illuminate the bridge during the solar eclipse,
or is that a double exposure?
Uwe, thanks. The bridge and street lights illuminated automatically when ambient light fell during totality. It was very dramatic when it happened. Single exposure.

Greg

Last edited:

f6cvalkyrie

AFAIK, the Phase One 28mm f4,5 is the widest lens available for my DF. But sometimes, the widest is not wide enough, so I shot a pano stitch of 5 vertical images for this photo ...
ca 150° FOV

stay safe,
Rafael

Phase One DF - IQ 140 - Phase One 28/4,5