The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Good Zoom Lens for Nikon D700

rollsman44

I currently have the Nikon 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D which came with the D700 as a Package deal. This lens received some good reviews.
I am curious to see if there another one in this range or close to it thats NOT heavy and Expensive. I will be using it for my portraits and Family group shots with Flash
Thank you. I dont Shoot wide open.

Swissblad

Enjoy your "new" combo - and be prepared to be amazed at how small zoom lenses once were - and the standard filter size was 52mm!

rollsman44

Yes I remember those days. The GOOD OLD DAYS. TY
Just a question: Have you used or use Medium Format Digital cameras? Reason I am asking as I have always used them since 1973( Film Days) still love the IQ from them especially my Pentax 645Z.
I am trying to make life easier and the equipment lighter. So, I bought the D700 and D810 to see how close in IQ they would get to my MF equipment.
I mainly shoot portraits and I do Family shots ( Pro Bono as I have done over the 51 years) Just want to see what you experienced. TY Dennis

Swissblad

No, I was a strict analog Hassie user - dabbled around a bit with MF digital, but could never afford a high MP back.
The D700 was the first DSLR we became enamoured with - a wonderful camera - many fond memories.
The D800 was wonderful for portraits.

jduncan

I currently have the Nikon 28-105mm f3.5-4.5D which came with the D700 as a Package deal. This lens received some good reviews.
I am curious to see if there another one in this range or close to it thats NOT heavy and Expensive. I will be using it for my portraits and Family group shots with Flash
Thank you. I dont Shoot wide open.
Hi,
I will recommend you check the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR it is supposed to very good above 35mm and stoped down (the range you are more likely to use for portraits) and is small and cheap. One can find mint used smaples.

Here is the Image Resource test: https://www.imaging-resource.com/lenses/nikon/24-85mm-f3.5-4.5g-ed-vr-af-s-nikkor/review/

Here is the Photography Life : https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-24-85mm-vr

Here is Thoms mini review : https://www.dslrbodies.com/lenses/lens-databases-for-nikon/fx-nikkors/mid-range-zoom-nikon-fx/nikkor-24-85mm-f35-45g-ed.html#:~:text=Thom's%20Mini%20Review%3A%20A%20real,software%20when%20you%20shoot%20JPEGs.

My take: I have it, and it's "good" but it did not see a lot of use. I love my primes and use them a lot more.

I am now in the Z system but the lens is still used from time to time with my Film camera., but I have vintage primes that I love to use with my film Nikon.

Nice to see that you still have your D700 is a legend the colors are incredible and the files a bliss on modern hardware.
Best regards.

Last edited: