The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7r, A7r2 - and why I'm keeping both ...

k-hawinkler

I have been experimenting a bit to explore how far one can push the image alignment feature offered in Adobe Photoshop 2024.

First a GIF animation of unaligned images, i.e. as captured by the camera.

Next a GIF animation of the corresponding aligned images.

A1+FE 50/1.2 GM.

I wonder what alignment algorithms are used in Adobe Photoshop 2024?
Which features in the above images did PS 2024 select and focus the alignment on?
Any insights or suggestions are welcome. TIA.

Reactions: B L

ggibson

Woah it's like a weird dolly zoom. Seems like it was really trying to align those horizontal signal posts since they're pretty close to the center of frame and high contrast.

k-hawinkler

Woah it's like a weird dolly zoom. Seems like it was really trying to align those horizontal signal posts since they're pretty close to the center of frame and high contrast.
Thanks Graham, interesting.

With the picture of aligning images or image alignment in my mind I see the same feature in multiple images not change its shape or position within the images. So applying this to the example at hand I think it might be the background cloud structures that get aligned, maybe in a first approximation. Oh well.

Considering the source images being used, I am amazed the software generates something sort of sensible at all. ;)

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

3 GIF Animations: • as shot, • aligned, • alignerd and cropped.

• As shot

• Aligned

• Aligned and Cropped

A1+FE 50/1.2 GM.

• As one can see in the first GIF the camera wasn't held steady enough to result in a smooth video display.

• The second GIF shows camera motion in the X-Y-plane and rolling around the camera's optical axis, as the road we were driving on had a changing sideways slope.

• Finally the third GIF shows a more smooth display, but not smooth enough for my taste. It is also not clear to me which features in the images the PS 2024 alignment algorithms tried to align from frame to frame.

Reactions: B L

k-hawinkler

A more successful Example of 3 GIF Animations: • as shot, • aligned, • aligned and cropped.

• As shot

• Aligned

• Aligned and Cropped

A1+FE 50/1.2 GM.

The third GIF animation looks pretty smooth to me.
The background mountains and clouds seem well aligned by the PS 2024 alignment feature.

k-hawinkler

A1+FE 50/1.2 GM, showing the frames as captured by the camera.
Before playing around with such image sequences I didn't consider applying image alignment in PS 2024 to the images above.
However the PS 2024 alignment algorithm seems to work reasonably well even here.

Aligned images.

Aligned and cropped images (leaving out one frame that would have caused more cropping than I liked).

A1+FE 50/1.2 GM.

K-H.

k-hawinkler

In another photography site I was asked for my workflow.
I post my answer here for future reference.

Shooting mostly at 30 FPS, at minimum 15 FPS.
I use a number of apps in combination in my workflow.
First Capture One (CO) to manage the raw images.
Then DxO PureRaw or DxO PhotoLab 7 for de-mosaicking, optical corrections, noise reduction, sharpening.
The images get send back to CO as DNG files.

Next CO sends the images to Adobe Photoshop (PS) for alignment of images.
This is very important because it’s very hard to hold the camera steady enough.
Jerking the camera around results otherwise in jerky GIFs, unpleasant to watch.
I discovered this trick on my own.
Didn’t see this discussed for creating GIF animations.
IBIS results in sharp individual images.
But it does not smooth out from frame to frame as video mode would do.
For alignment to work you need enough things in the images to not change from frame to frame so that they can be aligned. However that does not mean that the object being focused on cannot change. Quite to the contrary. It only requires that the object of the photography has to stay within the background frame. PS does an amazing job aligning the images though there can be quite a few changes in them from frame to frame.

After successful alignment the now aligned images get send back as TIF files to CO.
I then edit and crop the aligned TIF files either in CO or in DxO PhotoLab 7.
Then converted to JPG files they end up in CO.

Up to this point I worked with full size images. In order for the GIF animations not to become too large in size (say less than 100 MByte) I limit the JPG images to a max length of 1500 pixels.

Next the JPG files get send to PS to create the GIF animations.
PS allows to enter a delay after each frame to control time behavior.
So a delay of 0.03 would give correct time evolution for 30 FPS shot images.
For images shot at 15 FPS a delay of 0.07 would give correct time behavior of the GIF.

I then from PS save the fGIF animation on my Mac drive, then on SmugMug.
The GIF file can then be animated in Safari.

That’s it.

Here is an example with and without image alignment.

If someone needs help with Photoshop google “align images in Photoshop”. That’s how I learned to do that.