The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ageing photographers and the weight. Simplicate and add lightness.

cunim

As I get deeper into the wrong end of the age distribution, the type of gear that I can use changes. I used to able to carry around a P1 back, DF body and heavy lenses. That is impossible now. Even my wonderful GFX 100II is too heavy for anything more than a short excursion, and I just carry the body plus one mounted GF lens. I am prevented from carrying my tech camera very often, because adding a stable tripod to the load is just such a bother. Yes, age sucks.

So, I am thinking about a way forward. One option is a GF/M adaptor, to use my favourite Leica lenses on the GFX (in 35 mm crop mode). That will be heavier than a small FF camera, but much more flexible and capable. I am trying that but the jury is still out. Another option, of course, is to just get a FF camera for walkabout. I would be reluctant to do that - for reasons that are more emotional than practical.

How have you dealt with this?.

Knorp

Leica M and Pico!

The M is the perfect "ageing photographer" camera. Best IQ available in a small package that goes everywhere.
Perhaps, much depends on one's eye sight too. IMO a Meßsucher is probably not the best option in the long run.
Idealy you want something with an integrated EVF and AF for when the moment comes even MF is getting tough.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I ended up with the Hasselblad X system. As long as the focal lengths stay under 100mm, it is (relatively) very light and compact. An X2D with 21mm, 45mm, and 90mm lenses is 5.6 lbs. The body and one very wide (21mm or 25mm) is just 3.3 lbs. A walk around X2D + XCD 28/P is 2.5 lbs.

(I just did that calculation for the XF system and the "walk around" with the SK 35/3.5, body, and back runs 7.6 lbs! A Leica S + one wide lens ran 5.9 lbs. The lightest Leica S lens with body is 4.9 lbs.)

Matt

Last edited:

hcubell

I ended up with the Hasselblad X system. As long as the focal lengths stay under 100mm, it is (relatively) very light and compact. An X2D with 21mm, 45mm, and 90mm lenses is 5.6 lbs. The body and one very wide (21mm or 25mm) is just 3.3 lbs. A walk around X2D + XCD 28/P is 2.5 lbs.

Matt
A 907x CFV 100C is even lighter. With a 28P, a 45P and a 90mm lens, the kit is versatile and amazingly small and light. To travel even lighter, you could carry a 907x with the 45P...2 pounds. A Leica M11 with a 35mm M lens is 1.9 lbs.
Having said that, my walkaround camera has been a Sony A7RV with a 24-105mm zoom. I dislike it just as much as I dislike the overall shooting experience with all Japanese cameras, but camera systems, like all of life, is a constant set of trade offs.

MGrayson

A 907x CFV 100C is even lighter. With a 28P, a 45P and a 90mm lens, the kit is versatile and amazingly small and light. To travel even lighter, you could carry a 907x with the 45P...2 pounds. A Leica M11 with a 35mm M lens is 1.9 lbs.
Having said that, my walkaround camera has been a Sony A7RV with a 24-105mm zoom. I dislike it just as much as I dislike the overall shooting experience with all Japanese cameras, but camera systems, like all of life, is a constant set of trade offs.
Excellent points! As tempting as the CFV 100C is, and it is very tempting, I am addicted to IBIS for magnified focusing.

rdeloe

Seeing that you already have a GFX body, an obvious solution is a GF 35-70 lens. It makes a very light and small (relatively) combination, and image quality is excellent.

That's what I should do and could do because I have the GF 35-70. And yet, I never do. I'd rather have the limitations, inconvenience -- and familiarity -- of the lenses I use all the time like this little Mamiya N 43mm f/4.5 L and its siblings.

You won't bring your camera with you on those walkabouts if you don't enjoy it, so let the heart decide even if the head has good arguments. ;)

GFX with Mamiya N 43mm.jpg

anyone

So, I am thinking about a way forward. One option is a GF/M adaptor, to use my favourite Leica lenses on the GFX (in 35 mm crop mode).
I thought I could make good use of my Leica M lenses (mostly Zeiss ZM) with the GFX, but somehow the quality was way below my expectations and what I see on my film Leica. I don’t have a digital Leica to compare it to, but I wouldn’t recommend going this route.

Myself, I was trimming down my kit constantly to a limit I could carry due to an illness. That one is fading luckily, but ever since I looked for more lightweight options.

The 907x+CFV100c + 45p is the light option I use currently. However, it lacks IBIS and more importantly, a viewfinder. This makes it hard to compose properly in broad daylight.

The GFX 50r/100s + 50 3.5 or the 35-70 is another very versatile option I used. It’s a very light medium format kit, and to me more usable due to the viewfinder. Colors are not as nice as with Hasselblad though.

When it comes to adapting lenses, the GFX wins as it has a mechanical shutter. With all my adapted lenses I’m bound to a tripod on the 907x. I have a short Feisol tripod which is lightweight yet sturdy (enough).

JeffK

Just went through this internal dialogue myself. Landed on an M11-P and a 35mm lens. The deciding factor was the 60mp BSI sensor, and an opportunity to buy one that was a few months old and priced fairly. Have a couple inexpensive small optional lenses too (summarit and Elmar), but don't plan on carrying them unless needed.

FYI, the Leica does not give better or equal results to the XF and P1 lenses. But using the M body on an Actus or Pico with medium and large format lenses may change that.

tenmangu81

I usually go out with only one lens. When I had the Leica M240 (M-P), the Summilux 50 was mounted most of the time : total weight 1015 g (sorry, I'm French...). 935 g with the 35mm ASPH (my second favorite lens). With my X1D II, the weight goes up to 1138 g with the 55V, and 1086 g with the 45P. The small weight difference is worth the MF, vs the FF.

rmueller

I have two carry around systems,
- Leica M-A film body with 28 and 50mm cron for the "yeah I feel old now" feeling and
- X1DII 50c with 45mm XCD lens for everything else. Oh yeah, have this XCD 1.9/80 beast too which stays back when I do a day long walk
907 is very tempting but I need something that I can look through
Regards, Ralf

cunim

I just mounted the summicron 90 asph on the GFX. That combo weighs 1.8 kg, as opposed to 2.4 kg for the GF110. The reduction is worthwhile, but this will never be a light camera and the Fujinon is better - though the Leica is very nice. Wish I had a summilux 50 to try. I've just got some really old and worn lenses from the M3.

It is good to have the option for a bit less weight. I will take another look at the M family once they integrate IBIS. My hands used to be very steady but now they match the rest of me - so I need all the help I can get.

GFX100 II, summicron 90 f2, some vignette, camera weighs less than with GF110, pretty nice on the whole

_DSF2746.jpg

Last edited:

PeterA

It is a tough question to answer really because everyone's use case is different. I've reduced my kit down to three bodies now a Leica M10 monocrome an SL2 ( for teh autofocus and happy snaps) and my favourite camera the X2D. I wont walk around with the SL2 with APO lenses -, instead I choose between the M10M for street and X2D (typically with the 45 on it) for anything anywhere anytime. There is little difference in weight between the M series cameras and a Leica M lens and the X2D with the 45. I am tossing up between the announced 24 2.5 and the 55 in V spec - just for the aperture ring functionality missing on teh original XCD lenses. Just one word of caution regarding an M11 no doubt IQ is great - but 60 megapixels sans IBIS can be a tricky proposition - the other factor is the ridiculous pricing of M bodies now V a Fuji 100 or Hasselblad X2D - for me zero value proposition left on teh table for Leica M compared to these two at the margin larger but better in every other way camera choices.

On the GFX100 I used to shoot I found that shooting full frame using a 50 Summilux of Noctilux produced interesting images with lots of vignetting- same for 70 and 90 with a tad less vignetting - bit the Fuji glass was better and if I wanted the extreme wide open look - I could have got the same as the Noctilux just using a Mitakon or Voigtlander. I wouldn't bother dumbing down a Fuji or X series camera with a Leica M lens.

Understanding you already have the Fuji100 - I think is a walk around one lens one camera system- you cant go past that body and a 45 or ttached- you wont save anything in terms of weight switching into Leica M - only marginal.

All that said I won't use a camera that doesn't make me feel happy carrying it around- I think if one enjoys the tactile feel of something- - trying to replace it with something just because it saves a couple of hundred grams - wont be used. eg I am findng that much as I love the SL2 - I just prefer the M10M and teh X2D and am only sing teh SL2 for its faster autofocus for family shots.

Last edited:

sjg284

For me it was not just the overall weight but the balance and ergonomics. I had a fall 10 years ago that messed up my wrists for a couple years. Actually got rid of the M for a while and even when I got back into it, only with lighter lenses. Any of the 350g+ lenses that cause the body to rotate forward caused too much wrist stress. I also generally use the M with a 3rd party grip for better ergonomics.

Hate to say it but most of the mainstream mirrorless cameras have better ergonomics/weight/balance if you don't go crazy with the lenses.

Also the HB XCD line punches above its weight class so worth considering. I am using 907x 100C myself.

Ai_Print

In terms of current offerings, I think the X2D with IBIS is the way to go for truly great image quality in a small as possible package.

Even though I am still young and healthy (57), I too think about the future and with my need to use film, I am planning on mentoring and having assistants, I get offers all the time. For a hobby, go light, for a profession, hire assistants and mentor budding photographers.

jng

Up until recently, for just about any "serious" outings I would always favor lugging along my Cambo + IQ4 kit with any number of lenses (and sturdy tripod, of course). But time is taking its toll on me and since acquiring the Hasselblad X2D and more recently the 907x-CFV100c, I've really found joy in using the smaller Hassy kit(s). The X2D's IBIS opens up possibilities to shoot hand-held, but I find it to be noticeably heavier and bulkier than my old X1D. The 907, however, was a revelation - although missing IBIS, without the side grip it's so much easier to pack efficiently. I can either slip it into a small Think Tank sling with two lenses, or carry my entire 4 lens kit in an f-stop small ICU:
IMG_7188.jpg
(clockwise from upper left: 907x-CFV100c w/XCD 90; XCD 30, XCD 55V; XCD 21; spare battery + Peak Design strap)

The ICU fits in an f-stop Guru 25 liter bag with plenty of room on top for filters and/or an extra lens. I haven't weighed the final kit but at least I don't groan when I lift the pack onto my back.

I shoot mainly on a tripod - the RRS universal L-bracket A/S plate fits the 907x perfectly, adds very little extra bulk to the body, and doesn't interfere with hand held shooting.

And the image quality is simply fabulous, so apart from missing movements and tilt on the tech cam, this has been a good alternative for me when I'm traveling or just don't feel up to hauling around lead bricks.

John

MGrayson

Up until recently, for just about any "serious" outings I would always favor lugging along my Cambo + IQ4 kit with any number of lenses (and sturdy tripod, of course). But time is taking its toll on me and since acquiring the Hasselblad X2D and more recently the 907x-CFV100c, I've really found joy in using the smaller Hassy kit(s). The X2D's IBIS opens up possibilities to shoot hand-held, but I find it to be noticeably heavier and bulkier than my old X1D. The 907, however, was a revelation - although missing IBIS, without the side grip it's so much easier to pack efficiently. I can either slip it into a small Think Tank sling with two lenses, or carry my entire 4 lens kit in an f-stop small ICU:
View attachment 212857
(clockwise from upper left: 907x-CFV100c w/XCD 90; XCD 30, XCD 55V; XCD 21; spare battery + Peak Design strap)

The ICU fits in an f-stop Guru 25 liter bag with plenty of room on top for filters and/or an extra lens. I haven't weighed the final kit but at least I don't groan when I lift the pack onto my back.

I shoot mainly on a tripod - the RRS universal L-bracket A/S plate fits the 907x perfectly, adds very little extra bulk to the body, and doesn't interfere with hand held shooting.

And the image quality is simply fabulous, so apart from missing movements and tilt on the tech cam, this has been a good alternative for me when I'm traveling or just don't feel up to hauling around lead bricks.

John
John,

It never occurred to me to try it, but I do have a small ICU around - here it is with its usual Fuji X-H1 and four lenses. (Laowa 9, Fuji 14, 35, and 50)

And with an X2D and my three lens kit (21, 45, 90) with a bonus 28P thrown in for good measure. Battery, but no strap. Yeah, it's a bit heavier... (6.1 lbs vs. 3.3 lbs)

So, 25x17 or 44x33? :unsure: That's almost 3.5 times the sensor area for less than 2 times the weight! :ROFLMAO:

Matt

Last edited: