The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Apple M1, a revolution in the making?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Read/Write speed comparison of the internal SSD of
1TB late 2013 Mac Pro: READ ~830 MB/s, WRITE ~830-980 MB/s
2TB 2020 M1 Mac mini
: READ ~2900 MB/s, WRITE ~2720-3020 MB/s
as recorded by Blackmagic Disk Speed Test.

Well, quite an improvement and noticeable in daily use! I like it! :cool:
That means that if a T3 connected SSD works at only half the nominal speed, it's still 50% faster than an internal SSD on a 2013 Pro.

k-hawinkler

Thanks Jorgen for the well reasoned educated guess.

By T3 you mean TB3 = Thunderbolt 3 or 4, right?
On a Mac TB3 and TB4 run both at 40 Gbit/s.
Apparently what’s different between the two is their protocol.
On a PC only TB4 is guaranteed at 40 Gbit/s or 5 GB/s max speed.

Jorgen, indeed your guess seems to be correct for M.2 storage media.
Some external SSDs actually are a bit faster than a mere 50%over a 2013 internal Macintosh SSD. (y)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thanks Jorgen for the well reasoned educated guess.

By T3 you mean TB3 = Thunderbolt 3 or 4, right?
On a Mac TB3 and TB4 run both at 40 Gbit/s.
Apparently what’s different between the two is their protocol.
On a PC only TB4 is guaranteed at 40 Gbit/s or 5 GB/s max speed.

Jorgen, indeed your guess seems to be correct for M.2 storage media.
Some external SSDs actually are a bit faster than a mere 50%over a 2013 internal Macintosh SSD. (y)
Yes, I mean TB3. No, I don't deal with Windows PCs, except the one my daughter uses to watch Harry Potter etc.

The transfer speed differences are becoming a bit confusing, USB 4 which only seems to exist in the minds of Apple's developers even more so, but they are a bit theoretical anyway, since there aren't any (correct me if I'm wrong) commercially available devices that can deliver 5 GB/s anyway. Even to reach 2.8 GB/s, I have a feeling that an external enclosure would have to be kept as "clean" as possible, with no SSD or HDD units that deliver lower speeds than the maximum aimed for. The relative slowness of a HDD would possibly have the potential of slowing the whole unit down just by being present, and certainly if it's involved in any processing.

What I would do is to have a separate enclosure for HDD units, and transfer material that I'm working on to an SSD at the faster unit.

k-hawinkler

Thanks Jorgen. Yup, also actual use transfer speeds can plummet greatly depending on the size of data files being transmitted and the block size chosen for a RAID, for example. Of course, the larger the file size transmitted the higher the transfer speeds.

IIRC I seem to have noticed, when copying with Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) my entire 25% filled internal drive to an external OWC Envoy Pro EX or FX SSD for backup, both read and write speeds for extended periods flattened out at slightly above 1 GB/s as if they hit a ceiling. CCC also generates its own overhead. Nevertheless, all data had to be moved twice, namely read from the internal and then written to the external drive for a combined transfer speed of well over 2 GB/s, as reads and writes are going on in parallel. Not bad, not bad at all.

Also for a RAID 0 of two 18TB Seagate IronWolfe hard drives in an OWC 8-bay TB3 enclosure, Blackmagic found read and write speeds of ~450-500 MB/s each. Incredible.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Quote:”
"Percentage Used: Contains a vendor specific estimate of the percentage of NVM subsystem life used based on the actual usage and the manufacturer’s prediction of NVM life. A value of 100 indicates that the estimated endurance of the NVM in the NVM subsystem has been consumed, but may not indicate an NVM subsystem failure. The value is allowed to exceed 100. Percentages greater than 254 shall be represented as 255. This value shall be updated once per power-on hour (when the controller is not in a sleep state)." - SMART Attribute Details

This makes it clear what "Percentage Used" means.”

SMART Attribute Details

JeffK

Mac mini M1 now setup. I went from 2014 13" MBP i7 16gb/512gb to the MM1 16gb/2TB with P1 IIQ's from an IQ260A. Definitely a performance improvement even though C1 is running on Rosetta . Using the healing brush was so slow in C1 on my 2014 MBP. It was easier to export a psd and do the spotting in Photoshop. Already that's a step I can now do in C1. Looking forward to the M1 optimized version.

k-hawinkler

Mac mini M1 now setup. I went from 2014 13" MBP i7 16gb/512gb to the MM1 16gb/2TB with P1 IIQ's from an IQ260A. Definitely a performance improvement even though C1 is running on Rosetta . Using the healing brush was so slow in C1 on my 2014 MBP. It was easier to export a psd and do the spotting in Photoshop. Already that's a step I can now do in C1. Looking forward to the M1 optimized version.
Many thanks. I also have an M1 Mac mini 16GB/2TB, since January 12. Best Mac ever had.
I am now running C1 21 on my M1, encountered a few problems with that version.
When using colors and *s to flag images, C1 21 can get confused, sometimes changes image order when it shouldn’t, and I also had a few C1 21 crashes. Hopefully that gets fixed soon.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member

5 nm chips in second half of tho\is year! :)
How cool is that!:cool:
It's worth noting that 5nm is just 25 silicon atoms wide. This is seriously tiny! Or, if we're talking resolution, it's 100,000 lp/mm. Or 34.5 TP (tera-pixels) on a FF sensor. 😁 Or a resolution of 4 feet on a frame-filling photograph of the moon.

k-hawinkler

It's worth noting that 5nm is just 25 silicon atoms wide. This is seriously tiny! Or, if we're talking resolution, it's 100,000 lp/mm. Or 34.5 TP (tera-pixels) on a FF sensor. 😁 Or a resolution of 4 feet on a frame-filling photograph of the moon.
(y)(y) :cool:

BTW I updated my now obsolete M1 Mac mini 16/2 to BS 11.3. Definitely an improvement!
After installing BS 11.3 several issues stopped:

• M1 Mac mini now shuts down for real on first try. Yeah!
• Don't get error warning any more that M1 was shutdown due to a problem.
• M1 doesn't boot any longer into Recovery Medic when OWC enclosure is on during start up.
• Thunderbolt Monitor seems fine.

So far, so good. Knock on wood!!! :D

However Capture One 21 is buggy. :(
It hangs sometimes. (n)
It changes order of images when it is not supposed to. (n)
That happens with extensive use of *s and color marking.

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

You, among others, are paving the road for a hopefully bug-free M1 27" iMac ... 👌
Well Bart, it’s looking very promising. I am enjoying my M1 Mac mini 16/2 with LG 38WN95C-W 38 Inch Curved 21:9 UltraWide QHD+ (3840 x 1600) Monitor with Nano IPS, Thunderbolt 3 Connectivity and 1ms Response Time - 144Hz Refresh Rate

a lot. The M1 supports 75 Hz. At my current TBW rate the SSD should last a couple hundred years.:cool:
The M1 Mac mini is already in very great shape. However Capture One Pro 21 needs work to fix some bugs and go native on Apple Silicon. According to an email I got from them the native M1 version should be forth coming by this Summer. So I am looking forward to this.
Nevertheless, I have no problem post-processing and generating all my images on my configuration. Like this one

that fills out my Ultra-Wide Monitor completely. C1P 20 or 21 also lets me add additional image ratios like 21:9, 3840:1600, or 65:24 to standard ones like 16:9 etc.

Life is great. Now if Sony only would get on with fixing the current EVF/Eye sensor issues on their cameras, in particular on their new A1, I would put in an order so that my 50 MP Fujifilm GFX 50S would be joined by a 50 MP Sony ILCE-1. ;)

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

Just for the heck of it I loaded 138 sessions into C1P21 all at once.
My M1 Mac mini 16GB/2TB could handle it.
It paid for it with 132 GB written to the internal SSD. :cool:

After 4 months of use I have only written a tad more than 5 TB to the internal SSD.
So TBW is a non-issue for my M1. (y)

Last edited:

k-hawinkler

WOW! CCC version 6.
It’s faster than greased lightning on my M1 under Big Sur 11.3.1.
They claim up to 20 times faster than version 5.
Hard to believe, but probably true.
$20 upgrade price well spent. ;)
Enough said.

k-hawinkler

Yup, BS 11.4 has definitely reduced TBW on my M1 Mac mini as well.
Not that it was a problem before.

k-hawinkler

Hi K-H, did you already try C1P 14.2.0 now coming with native M1 support ?
Yes I did, running now

Capture One 21 Pro
Build 14.2.0.136 (ec2e420)

This M1 version has the same quirks as the previous Intel version.
When you fire it first up and zoom in you can't reposition the image.
But after selecting another tool and then going back seems to make it work.

Not a biggie I would say.
But they need to keep working on it. ;)

I have not used it enough yet to have an opinion on how fast or how much faster it is. We'll see...