The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Astrophotography

Greg Haag

I would like to learn how to get set up for astrophotography, does anyone have a recommendation on a good resource for this? Will I be able to use my Phase One XF or digital back for this? On a scale of 1-10 my current knowledge level on this may be a 1 or 2.
Thanks in advance!
Greg

MartinN

Night sky at large is pretty easy, magnificated views seem to be difficult. Astrophotography would be nice to learn, but our climate where I live is not cooperating. No dark nights in Summer at all and mostly overcast otherwise. But I will follow this thread.

Greg Haag

For those of you interested, a just ran across this great thread that @dave.gt started.

Shashin

It also depends on what you want to shoot. Wide-field, deep space, or planetary/solar. Wide field is the easiest to start with as it uses just your camera, lenses, and a tracking mount. You camera will do well with that. For large sensors, there are only a few telescopes that can take those. A 35mm or smaller sensor is usually used. Small sensors are great for planetary.

How many thousands of dollars did you want to spend and are you going to go to locations or setup you own observatory? (You think I am joking, right.)

One good forum for these questions is https://www.cloudynights.com

You will lots of astrophotographers on there. There are plenty of internet resources as well--just Google.

Craig Stocks

I have indeed used my XF/IQ4150 for astrophotography as well as the IQ4150 on a Cambo tech camera with a Canon lens plate. It does work but there are some considerations. Eventually I switched to a dedicated astro camera (I use the ASI6200MM Pro) which has the same sensor as the IQ4150 in a 35mm full frame format.

The IQ4150 IR cut filter seems to be stronger than many other cameras. In general I tended to get better results with my Sony a7r2 than the IQ. Nebulae have a lot of ionized hydrogen (which is red) and the IQ didn't have as much of the dark red response. The IQ was just hard to get good color results.

The IQ has a much larger sensor than most telescopes' image circle so you need to carefully select a scope with a large enough image circle - and that means more expensive too. I ended up with the Takahashi FSQ106

The next challenge is physically mounting the camera onto the scope since no one supports the XF/Mamiya lens mount. I ended up using a Fotodiox Mamiya to Pentax 67 adapter and then a Takahashi Pentax 67 adapter. I also had to have a spacer/adapter made to finish it up (not as scary as it sounds, Precise Parts specializes in custom astro adapters).

Once you get it mounted you have to control everything manually.

None of the astro image processing programs understand the IQ file format so you end up processing everything in C1 and stacking manually in Photoshop. It can be done but it's a pain

As I said I eventually switched to a true astro camera for a number of reasons:

Software support - all the software that you use to control a telescope mount understands astro cameras (and doesn't understand the IQ). That allows you to implement things like autofocus and plate solving (which lets the computer find the desired target for you). The software also manages the entire imaging sequence in terms of exposure time and number of frames

Astro cameras have cooled sensors which controls and reduces noise

They are made to easily attach to a telescope so you are less likely to need custom adapters

All the processing programs know how to read astro camera files. Note that they produce a .FITS format as their RAW file so you do need to use an astro program for processing. I use Deep Sky Stacker to initially process and stack the photos and then move to Photoshop. Many astrophotographers use PixInsight but it is a much more complicated program.

I choose to use a monochrome version of the ASI6200MM and use a filter wheel to insert various filters between the telescope and the camera. Standard filters are red, green and blue to produce a natural RGB image and hydrogen, oxygen and sulfur to pick up specific colors of ionized gas.

I recently did an online presentation for our local camera club explaining the journey from simple to complex astrophotography. It was recorded and is available at https://utahdesertremote.com/robotic-remote-astrophotography/. I also have a few other blog posts and explanations on that website.

The remote astrophotography business we're setting up (Utah Desert Remote Observatories) also now offers the ability to rent imaging time on our telescope so people can dip their toes into astrophotography; basically we provide the training wheels. You can see more about it at https://utahdesertremote.com/the-udro-imaging-experience/

Greg Haag

I have indeed used my XF/IQ4150 for astrophotography as well as the IQ4150 on a Cambo tech camera with a Canon lens plate. It does work but there are some considerations. Eventually I switched to a dedicated astro camera (I use the ASI6200MM Pro) which has the same sensor as the IQ4150 in a 35mm full frame format.

The IQ4150 IR cut filter seems to be stronger than many other cameras. In general I tended to get better results with my Sony a7r2 than the IQ. Nebulae have a lot of ionized hydrogen (which is red) and the IQ didn't have as much of the dark red response. The IQ was just hard to get good color results.

The IQ has a much larger sensor than most telescopes' image circle so you need to carefully select a scope with a large enough image circle - and that means more expensive too. I ended up with the Takahashi FSQ106

The next challenge is physically mounting the camera onto the scope since no one supports the XF/Mamiya lens mount. I ended up using a Fotodiox Mamiya to Pentax 67 adapter and then a Takahashi Pentax 67 adapter. I also had to have a spacer/adapter made to finish it up (not as scary as it sounds, Precise Parts specializes in custom astro adapters).

Once you get it mounted you have to control everything manually.

None of the astro image processing programs understand the IQ file format so you end up processing everything in C1 and stacking manually in Photoshop. It can be done but it's a pain

As I said I eventually switched to a true astro camera for a number of reasons:

Software support - all the software that you use to control a telescope mount understands astro cameras (and doesn't understand the IQ). That allows you to implement things like autofocus and plate solving (which lets the computer find the desired target for you). The software also manages the entire imaging sequence in terms of exposure time and number of frames

Astro cameras have cooled sensors which controls and reduces noise

They are made to easily attach to a telescope so you are less likely to need custom adapters

All the processing programs know how to read astro camera files. Note that they produce a .FITS format as their RAW file so you do need to use an astro program for processing. I use Deep Sky Stacker to initially process and stack the photos and then move to Photoshop. Many astrophotographers use PixInsight but it is a much more complicated program.

I choose to use a monochrome version of the ASI6200MM and use a filter wheel to insert various filters between the telescope and the camera. Standard filters are red, green and blue to produce a natural RGB image and hydrogen, oxygen and sulfur to pick up specific colors of ionized gas.

I recently did an online presentation for our local camera club explaining the journey from simple to complex astrophotography. It was recorded and is available at https://utahdesertremote.com/robotic-remote-astrophotography/. I also have a few other blog posts and explanations on that website.

The remote astrophotography business we're setting up (Utah Desert Remote Observatories) also now offers the ability to rent imaging time on our telescope so people can dip their toes into astrophotography; basically we provide the training wheels. You can see more about it at https://utahdesertremote.com/the-udro-imaging-experience/
Craig,
This reply was so helpful, thank you! I am very interested in your astrophotography business in Utah! Will you be having any workshops? BTW, your video was helpful and your new facility is very impressive!
Thanks so much!
Greg

Last edited:

Craig Stocks

Craig,
This reply was so helpful, thank you! I am very interested in your astrophotography business in Utah! Will you be having any workshops?
Thanks so much!
Greg
Probably not workshops but I do offer on-on-one training. The hourly rental process includes quite a bit of explanation of the process. Feel free to PM me for more details or information.

Be forewarned that a big part of astrophotography is post processing. I've even observed that it's 50% post processing and 90% spending money. I do find it to be very rewarding because there is a technical challenge but also lots of freedom for interpretation.

Craig Stocks

Craig,
This reply was so helpful, thank you! I am very interested in your astrophotography business in Utah! Will you be having any workshops? BTW, your video was helpful and your new facility is very impressive!
Thanks so much!
Greg
I sent you an email so check your spam folder

glennedens

Craig, just saw this parallel thread - good luck with Utah Desert Remote Observatories! Most of the sites here in New Mexico are getting full so your timing is great. Kind regards, Glenn