The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best place for a landscape photographer to retire

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Dear friends,

I've been thinking about this thread for a long time and just had a chance to do it during my sabbatical leave.

I hope this thread will not be moved to somewhere else (if it is, I will change the thread to "Best place for a medium-format landscape photographer to retire" :) The reason I pose the thread here is because there are a lot of talented landscape photographers in the MF forum.

This thread is not just for fun but is for people like me who are thinking (dreaming) about retirement.

In addition to the headline topic "Best place for a landscape photographer to retire", this thread will be very helpful to learn about different places for landscape photography (USA and somewhere else around the world).

Thank you very much in advance for your advice. I am very excited to hear from you.

Best regards,

Pramote

Zenfolio | Pramote Laoprasert Photography

Last edited:
I'm nowhere near retirement but I do like to think about it :) A couple of options I've thought of:

1. Somewhere in Utah near Salt Lake City. Great proximity to a lot of great photographic locations in eastern California, Nevada and of course Utah itself. I suspect I wouldn't get bored for a long time.

2. Buy one of these: https://www.unicat.net and then just go where the photos are. Alaska, the American Southwest, Iceland. I could probably do that for years and not get bored.

BANKER1

From the amazing work you post here, I think you already live in an area that is unlimited for its scenic beauty. Nearby (relatively), is Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and California. And, as a retiree, you will not be limited by time. I live in Kentucky, so I would have to travel, (and have) to get to those areas for photography vacations. Good luck with your decision.

Greg

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks very much Aravind! When I first saw the picture of the Unicat, I thought it was a joke. What a car!
I completely agree with your choices.

Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
From the amazing work you post here, I think you already live in an area that is unlimited for its scenic beauty. Nearby (relatively), is Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and California. And, as a retiree, you will not be limited by time. I live in Kentucky, so I would have to travel, (and have) to get to those areas for photography vacations. Good luck with your decision.

Greg
Hi Greg, Long time no see! Thanks for your complement.
I live in Colorado and may end up somewhere in Southwest CO some day. However, we are opened for options. It will be few more years though.
I love the landscape of Lexington. I was in KY for few years.

Best
Pramote

Shashin

Japan, New Zealand, Greenland. Honestly, I cannot think of a place that does not have a compelling landscape. But if you like Alpine zones and mountains, I would not recommend Iowa. If you like pastoral, France would be a good fit. I am not sure there is a particular place, but there are places for particular photographers...

mkerouac

I would pick Southern Utah. Easy access to Grand Canyon, Page, Zion, Bryce and Moab. Also reasonable trips to Montana, Northern California, etc., etc. Would keep me busy for decades.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I lived in Aspen for 19 years up until March, decided to sell our 800 square foot condo and buy a 3,800 square foot house about 15 miles away. The main reason is so I can build a much larger darkroom, have parking for workshop participants, etc.
I love Aspen and have been there several times. It is absolutely a very special place. I can understand why you don't want to be anywhere else.

Shashin

This is such a personal question. I prefer landscapes I have never seen. Because of that, the American Southwest and Iceland do not really appeal to me. I would rather go to Lethoso or Ogasawara. Give me horizons I have never seen.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Japan, New Zealand, Greenland. Honestly, I cannot think of a place that does not have a compelling landscape. But if you like Alpine zones and mountains, I would not recommend Iowa. If you like pastoral, France would be a good fit. I am not sure there is a particular place, but there are places for particular photographers...
Do you want to share more? What part of those countries? One of my favorite photographers is Michael Kenna, therefore, Hokkaido in Winter is my dream.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I would pick Southern Utah. Easy access to Grand Canyon, Page, Zion, Bryce and Moab. Also reasonable trips to Montana, Northern California, etc., etc. Would keep me busy for decades.
I think it is a great choice. What cities in Souther Utah would you recommend?

Shashin

Do you want to share more? What part of those countries? One of my favorite photographers is Michael Kenna, therefore, Hokkaido in Winter is my dream.
I have only been to Japan. If you like mountains (and good healthcare) Japan is a great place. The big mountain are in the center on the main island of Honshu. Kamikochi is in the Northern Alps.

Public transportation can get you anywhere. The mountains have a great trail system and mountain huts. Some of the huts can be rather basic, but in some spectacular locations. There is a mountain hut just a minute from where I took the image above.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I assume that as you go forward your financial needs will be met in retirement.

Guy Tal has a number of posts about leaving the "world" and finding a place of
peace in the 'wilderness' of the Southwest.

If your health ... and that of your family ... is such that you can be a bit removed from
the pressure of society ... his vision may offer you an option.

Better to commit to this choice early rather than late .... our horizon choices and options
truncate with age and disability. However ... if we move early none of those issues are
enough to make us regress back to the womb.

Great question and thread ....

My choice would be one of the islands off Scotland ... Lewis or perhaps Islay.

Bob

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Will...Thank you very much for sharing! Your photos are fantastic. I look furthermore in the google search. It is a very beautiful place. Airbnb makes traveling anywhere in the world possible. The lodge with breakfast in the National Park is $70/night!

Pramote

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
I assume that as you go forward your financial needs will be met in retirement.

Guy Tal has a number of posts about leaving the "world" and finding a place of
peace in the 'wilderness' of the Southwest.

If your health ... and that of your family ... is such that you can be a bit removed from
the pressure of society ... his vision may offer you an option.

Better to commit to this choice early rather than late .... our horizon choices and options
truncate with age and disability. However ... if we move early none of those issues are
enough to make us regress back to the womb.

Great question and thread ....

My choice would be one of the islands off Scotland ... Lewis or perhaps Islay.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Congratulations again for your retirement! I hope you enjoy it.

Great advice! As I mentioned before. We are still working but will leave options opened afterward, living in CO (especially SW), traveling in RV, living aboard etc. Therefore, anything is possible.
Can you tell me more about Guy Gal (links?) and islands off Scotland.

Thanks
Pramote