The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo Actus-MV

bensonga

I was wondering if anyone here has experience using this model of the Cambo Actus.

The Actus has interested me for quite some time. Based on my experience in the 80s & 90s using 4x5 view cameras, I was hoping for more movements on the rear standard than the various Actus B/G models. The XL is appealing, but the smaller size of the MV appears to hit a sweet spot re size/weight/features between the B/G and XL. I would initially use the Actus with my GFX-50R with perhaps a GFX upgrade in the future. I have a large collection of Pentax 645/67, Mamiya 645/RZ67, Hasselblad V and LF Nikon/Rodenstock/Schneider lenses I could try on an Actus.

I’ve read a number of helpful reviews, such as this one from John Brock in On Landscape and info from Steve Hendrix at Capture Integration:

This would push some of my time spent taking photos in direction that it has not been for several years (more tripod use/less handheld).

I will appreciate any of your thoughts/experience with the Actus MV before I make this purchase.

Gary

Last edited:

TimoK

I don't have any experience using Actus MV. But I have been using several years Actus mini with Sony 7RIV. Most often I shoot landscapes, sometimes close-ups in the field, sometimes table-top still life type shots. I also have had the Ultima D ( known as Actus XL today) for a short time. I've considered trading to MV.

I always use tripod with Actus. I tried to use it hand held but failed. I made DYI type hand grip under Actus. Still I'd need three hands, two right hands and a left one! Four hands were even better. Unfortunately the focus knob is at the right side of Actus ( same with Actus MV) and you should also release the shutter with your right hand. If focusing knob was at the left you could maybe shoot hand held. But now my working order on tripod is to focus with my right hand, lock the focus with the left one, tilt, swing, maybe iterate the focusing, shift, then stop down to the working aperture and release the shutter ( with timer). So I guess with MV you'll use more tripod and will take zero shots hand held!

I compared MV to Actus mini. Actus MV has some advantages.

MV has almost double movements in any direction because the most movements are possible in the both ends of the camera. I sometimes, seldom, hit the limits of the small Actus. I guess that is not happening with MV.

There is the fine geared knobs in focusing and tilt. That's a big advantage! Maybe the biggest. The focusing accuracy is really a problem in Mini.
The MV is also bigger and longer. So I guess you don't need the longer bellows or rail in normal shooting cases.

The bigger size is also a disadvantage when packing the gear and the weight when hiking is the worst thing.
Actus Mini weights 1 kilogram, MV weights 2,8 kg. If you can carry that, the Actus MV looks very temptating.

Btw. The Ultima D weighted 5 kg without lens and sensor. That was too much to me.

rdeloe

If you didn't need movements on the rear standard, I'd suggest looking at the Arca-Swiss F-Universalis. I used to have rear standard tilt and swing on my previous digital view camera, and don't miss it with my F. But if you really need tilt and swing on the rear, you could also look at the M line.

TimoK

If you didn't need movements on the rear standard, I'd suggest looking at the Arca-Swiss F-Universalis. I used to have rear standard tilt and swing on my previous digital view camera, and don't miss it with my F. But if you really need tilt and swing on the rear, you could also look at the M line.
If you didn't need tilt and swing on the rear standard, my suggestion is the Actus G with the fine focusing knob, maybe also fine geared tilt knob. You'll save in weight and still there's movements enough to the usual shooting cases.

But if you are doing a lot table top work or other close up shots the Actus MV is your choice.
Look also Arca-Swiss offerings and compare.:cool:

https://www.cambo.com/en/view-camera/actus-mv/actus-mv-view-camera/

https://www.cambo.com/en/actus-series/actus-gfx-view-camera/

https://www.getdpi.com/forum/index....alis-with-gfx-revised-review-published.74887/

https://arca-swiss-usa.com/

bensonga

In the 80s and 90s I was using my 4x5 monorail view cameras mostly for architectural photography (my personal use & enjoyment). That is something I am still interested in, but it has been on the back burner since I largely switched to digital capture in the 2000s. I’ve been using T/S lenses on a variety of digital cameras with good results in many situations, but I still miss the full control of perspective that I had with the view cameras shooting film.

This is why having swing and tilt on rear standard for perspective control is of particular interest to me. I would typically not be carrying the camera/tripod very far and certainly not backpacking it to take photos of remote landscapes.

In that respect, the ~11 lb weigh of the Actus XL is not a truly disqualifying negative factor for me, but at my age (70), the lighter weight of the MV is appealing.

One of the things I really like about the Actus system is they do have lens plates for ALL of the lenses I might like to use and currently own (such as the RZ67). I can even use my favorite Pentax 67 lenses (with my Pentax 67 to 645 adapter) using the Actus Pentax 645 lens plate.

Gary

Last edited:

rdeloe

In the 80s and 90s I was using my 4x5 monorail view cameras mostly for architectural photography (my personal use & enjoyment). That is something I am still interested in, but it has been on the back burner since I largely switched to digital capture in the 2000s. I’ve been using T/S lenses on a variety of digital cameras with good results in many situations, but I still miss the full control of perspective that I had with the view cameras shooting film.

This is why having swing and tilt on rear standard for perspective control is of particular interest to me. I would typically not be carrying the camera/tripod very far and certainly not backpacking it to take photos of remote landscapes.
I also come from 4x5 large format and film. A few years after I switched to digital, and was using tilt-shift adapters to get as close as I could, I was thrilled when a friend put me on to the Toyo VX23D. It has full movements on both standards.

Be careful what you wish for... After a lot of use I moved on from the VX23D because it was devilishly hard to keep the standards in perfect alignment. Slight alignment errors that wouldn't have mattered on a sheet of 4x5 film had a major impact on image quality on high resolution digital sensors. It's extremely difficult to keep everything in alignment when two standards have movements. First, you have to be able to do that. Not all are user adjustable, or even adjustable, period. Second, you have to be able to measure when things are out of or in alignment. That is amazingly difficult.

Eventually, I just gave up. I built a small digital view camera (which I still use) that had no movements on the rear except for focus. I then added an Arca-Swiss F-Universalis, which has shift and rise/fall, but not tilt or swing. Arca-Swiss made the same decision in that respect as Cambo for the Actus, and I think it's the right one for digital.

Here's the other reason I'm not interested in tilt and swing on the rear standard: I can't make it do anything useful, like I could on 4x5 film. I posted a thread about this. It's not just me, based on this thread. Logically, the smaller sensor in a digital camera shouldn't make a difference (I thought), but it does.

In that respect, the ~11 lb weigh of the Actus XL is not a truly disqualifying negative factor for me, but at my age (70), the lighter weight of the MV is appealing.
I hear you! I'm not 70 yet, but I want to be carrying my kit around when I am 70. I would be very interested in a light (750 gram), sturdy digital view camera with a pared down set of features. Such does not exist, so I keep my MAB Camera in service as my super light weight kit. The Cambo Actus G is a bit lighter than my F-Universalis, so if you like Cambo and you want light that may be your best option. The weight of the F-Universalis is manageable (1.4 kg), but I wish it was a bit less bulky.

One of the things I really like about the Actus system is they do have lens plates for ALL of the lenses I might like to use and currently own (such as the RZ67). I can even use my favorite Pentax 67 lenses (with my Pentax 67 to 645 adapter) using the Actus Pentax 645 lens plate.
It's good that Cambo sells a board for Mamiya RZ lenses. John Leathwick in New Zealand uses RZ lenses on his Arca-Swiss F-Universalis and is very happy with the ones he has. He had to build a board. It wasn't hard, and he explains how on his blog. Light they are not, but he's very happy with them, and producing lovely work that takes advantage of their generous image circle. I went with Mamiya G and N lenses, which are stellar but require modification. I like them because they're very light and very good.

I’m throwing my 2 cents, here: Arca Swiss M2 is a lot more stable and precise than the Universalis or Actus-g, while being a lot more user friendly, especially in the field, simply due to the fewer & bigger knobs, among other things.
If rear tilt is not a must for your use case, I would strongly suggest the M2 as the more practical / user friendly alternative. In fact, that’s why I chose it over the MV, a few months ago, when I made my choice.

vjbelle

Agree with the choice of an M-Two. Mine weighs in at 1.9kg which includes everything (camera, rotafoot, bellows, front and rear function carriers, format frame/orbix and optical bench) except the digital camera and lens. I also have an Actus which is lighter but the movements are more limited - especially rise and fall.

Victor B.

rdeloe

I’m throwing my 2 cents, here: Arca Swiss M2 is a lot more stable and precise than the Universalis or Actus-g, while being a lot more user friendly, especially in the field, simply due to the fewer & bigger knobs, among other things.
If rear tilt is not a must for your use case, I would strongly suggest the M2 as the more practical / user friendly alternative. In fact, that’s why I chose it over the MV, a few months ago, when I made my choice.
I've never handled an M2, so I can't compare directly to an F-Universalis. However, I'm looking closely at pictures and am trying to understand why you think it is more precise, and has fewer and bigger knobs. The main differences I see are geared swing on the front standard; no rise/fall on the front; and a very robust looking rear function carrier.

The format frame looks to be the same, meaning the tilt mechanism and function are the same -- so that movement won't be more precise.

Swing will definitely be more precise because it's geared on the M. I don't have any issues using "manual" swing on the F, but someone who likes gearing will definitely prefer the M design.

The shift knob is on the side on the M, rather than underneath as on the F, and it looks thicker. Some people might prefer that design.

Optical benches are interchangeable, so the gearing for focus will be the same. The focus knob looks to be the same. Did they reduce the tiny amount of lash that I've noticed comes with the self-locking gears?

I like that they have shift and rise/fall all on the rear standard with the M2 design. That makes a lot of sense. There's also a more movement range than on my F-Universalis, and the numbering scales are more sensible for rise/fall I couldn't use the additional range of the M with a GFX camera though because that design only allows ~25mm of movement. Detents for rise/fall are also nice; there are no detents for rise/fall on the front on the F; on the rear, zero is all the way down, so that's easy to check without looking.

These are precise instruments, so I would hope that the markings and detents for swing are absolutely correct on the M. If they're not, I'm not seeing an obvious way for the user to adjust.

All in all, the M2 looks like a really nice unit. It's heavier and bulkier than I would like, and I would likely never use rear swing, so it's not for me. But it's fantastic that we have so many options.

Last edited:

vjbelle

Rob..... you are being very generous with your description of these instruments being precise. :) I would characterize them as being finicky and semi crude for digital. They are not for the faint of heart!! You can shim an Alpa with shims that are 0.01mm thick and the change it causes to focus can be seen at 100% pixels. Same goes for swing to be off by just a tiny amount. It will cause skewing and must be corrected for. Most importantly is for the user to know that the standards will have to be adjusted in the field and how to correct if the standards are out of plumb. If a lens is changed then the image in the VF must be checked to make sure everything is plumb. That's just the way it is with a bellows camera.... any bellows camera. Tolerances are nowhere near tight enough to use with a 100MP sensor.. but the good thing is that they are adjustable and as long as the user knows how to adjust the camera fantastic results can be obtained.

I have given up trying to get the detent on my M-Two to be a 'real' 0 point. It just gets me close and from there I make quick adjustments. I always check my edges LRTB to make sure I am plumb (if that's the goal).

Best....

Victor B

Last edited:

rdeloe

Ha, indeed. A lot more precision is possible, but there's a price to be paid in terms of weight, size, and money. There's a point at which a camera is just too big, too heavy, or too expensive for me.

I think in terms of very practical tests, e.g., with everything in the neutral or zero position on the camera, can I be confident that I will get the same results at wide apertures as if I was using that lens on a properly made "straight" adapter? Can I be confident that if I shifted left and right as far as possible, that alignment was good enough at f/8 that I could flat stitch the resulting images and I wouldn't see problems at the far sides.

My F-Universalis passes my practical test. Even my MAB Camera, much to my astonishment, passes my practical test. So I'm happy.

cunim

@vjbelle has a point with the AS gear. It does seem that Rob has a really good sample of the Universalis and I can only wish that my monolith were as well aligned. That said, I just tweak things until they are more or less where I want them. Sort of second nature now and, given that I am using the view camera to misalign things, I don't find starting alignment is a big deal. However, I can see it being a much bigger issue for architecture and similar, than for the type of close up work I do with this camera.

I wonder what you could do with the Edmund Scientific catalog and a friend with a CNC machine?

rdeloe

@vjbelle has a point with the AS gear. It does seem that Rob has a really good sample of the Universalis and I can only wish that my monolith were as well aligned. That said, I just tweak things until they are more or less where I want them. Sort of second nature now and, given that I am using the view camera to misalign things, I don't find starting alignment is a big deal. However, I can see it being a much bigger issue for architecture and similar, than for the type of close up work I do with this camera.

I wonder what you could do with the Edmund Scientific catalog and a friend with a CNC machine?
Rob has a really good sample of the F-Universalis now! The original one came with a misaligned rear standard. Arca-Swiss responded quickly and sent me a replacement rear standard, so all is well. In fairness, I used it a lot at f/8-f/16 without being too bothered; I thought it was the lenses, assumed my lenses were a bit dodgy below f/8, and just compensated. It wasn't the lenses. The ones that are good at wide apertures are now good on the F-Universalis.

I agree that Victor has a good point. It's not just Arca-Swiss though. Anything that is in alignment now can go out of alignment. Detents and gear teeth get worn with use. Screws loosen. Parts wear. I like being able to adjust everything. These days companies are building things to be non-adjustable. I understand the rationale, but it can be frustrating when adjustment is needed but not possible.

Yes indeed -- to own a CNC machine and know how to use it! Working for a whole field season with my MAB Camera convinced me that I could do most of what I need to do with a simple camera. There's something about having 95% of the movements I use all the time in a compact, 850 gram camera that is appealing.

vjbelle

If I mount my 90mm Rody on my M-Two and shift LR 30mm I expect the extreme edges to be sharp with no skewing whatsoever. Now if I change lenses, say to the 138 float, things change and shifting the same 30mm LR forces me to make a two step adjustment with one being swing and the other being fine focus. That's just how it goes. It's not the fault of the camera..... there are just too many parts in play and only one has to be out by a tiny amount to cause misalignment.

Always, always check your edges!!

Victor B.

Last edited:

bensonga

Thank you Rob and all others for your knowledge, experience and views re the difficulties I may encounter in using a camera like the Cambo Actus an others like it for what I would like to do. It’s a lot to consider.

I found this post from Swissbear in February 2023 where he mentions his impressions when seeing the Actus MV (though not having actually used it). I see that he eventually opted to purchase the A-S F-Universalis.

It would be helpful to hear from someone who has actual experience using either the Actus XL or the MV.

Gary

Last edited:

rdeloe

Thank you Rob and all others for your knowledge, experience and views re the difficulties I may encounter in using a camera like the Cambo Actus an others like it for what I would like to do. It’s a lot to consider.
I like the way people help each other around these parts. I've received so much help and advice from people on this and other forums in which I participate.

I found this post from Swissbear in February 2023 where he mentions his impressions when seeing the Actus MV (though not having actually used it). I see that he eventually opted to purchase the A-S F-Universalis.
Yes, that's my fault. ;) The review of the F-Universalis I wrote tipped several people over the edge. In my case, it was a short post and a helpful poster on DPReview that sealed the deal when I was choosing between the Actus G and the F-Universalis. I have nothing against the Actus system; it looks terrific. There were a few things about the Arca-Swiss approach I preferred, and that post confirmed my thoughts.

Honestly, it's like choosing between Honda and Toyota. It's hard to go wrong.

vjbelle

An acid test...... find a flat area that allows shifting to the extreme of your camera and shift to that extreme. Magnify the EVF to 100% pixels and place it to the extreme edge of the direction you shifted. Focus somewhere on the ground near the bottom of the viewer. Now move the focus point to the other edge of the viewer making sure not to move it vertically and start shifting to the end of the other direction. Wherever the focus point is as you are shifting should remain sharp and the edge you are looking at should be as sharp as the other edge AND it should not have swayed either far or near.

I cannot do that with all of my lenses without making adjustments - even though the adjustments are slight. Just the way it goes.....

That's what pancake cameras are for....

Victor B.

rdeloe

Yes, that's how I found my F wasn't aligned properly, and how I confirmed that it was with the replacement rear function carrier.

It's tricky because some lenses really do have "tilted elements", some adapter boards are not built properly; and some lens designs have field curvature that messes things up. In my case I'm using lens boards with custom mounts that I built, and lenses for which I built new mounts. That's a lot of points of failure!

Isolating what is causing an issue is hard. It really helps to be able to rule out some variables by using a second, known good "adapter". If a lens has four good corners on one adapter, and a bad side on another, it's not the lens.

vjbelle

Each lens board, each copal, each lens just has to be out a smidgeon and adjustments have to be made. I wouldn't trade it though for any pancake camera where I would have to be married to a DB and proprietary lens mounts. I want to be able to use either my 100 II or 7RM5 even though it limits me to the 60XL on the wide side ( at least with the Fuji ). The Fuji 30mm will solve all of my wide needs and probably won't get much use.

Victor B.

cunim

You know, we go on about camera alignment, and I remember shimming the Alpa in the old days when I was less lazy. Today, however, I am more bothered by the lens internals. I have had two Rodenstocks go out of alignment with use, requiring (PITA) trips to the auld sod for correction. Mind, that was some years ago and mounts may be better now. It can't hurt to follow the above advice and stick the lens in a tech camera periodically to check internal alignment (seen as defocus from one edge to another).

Internal misalignment is my main terror with the 138. That thing must be stressing the internal lens mounts, and I will make sure to check it regularly.