The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo WRE-2019 / Actar-19

Epstar83

Hi all,

I know the Cambo Actar-19 has come up in discussion before, but with very little information online about it's real world performance. One of the concerns I've seen raised in the past is that the Actar-19 does not use a a focus helicoid and with it's floating element design, near focus performance might be compromised? Last year Cambo launched the WRE-2019 for Wide RS mount cameras with electronic shutter. Looking at pictures of it, it seems they have retained the original focus assembly. I've recently bought a Cambo WRS 1000 and a Hasselblad CFV 100c, and given the CFV's electronic shutter capability am thinking the WRE-2019 might be a good fit. Has anyone used this lens?

drevil

Staff member
i have used the nikon 19mm on a gfx100 for some time, good lens, sharper than the canon 17, same field curvature problem, but strongly stopped down no big problem
i still have the lens for a possible return into the gfx system, even though i doubt it will happen

Ben730

I also need the Nikkor version on a GFX 100s. The results
are very good, although the Rodenstock 23 HR is still a class above.
Focusing is a bit tedious and a lens hood or compendium is very important.

drevil

Staff member
as the field curvature is quite large on the TS-E 17 and PC 19mm, make sure not to set the focus in the center of the image, but on the edges and stop down at least to F11

Epstar83

I would be asking Cambo about near focus performance. The floating element design in the Nikkor lens is there for a reason.
Thanks Rob,

I'll certainly ask them about that. My thinking is since the WRE 2019 retains a focus helicoid that it wouldn't necessarily have the same concerns as the Actar-19 with all the elements in place. I guess it would depend if the focussing assembly they're using moves the elements in the same way as the original.

rdeloe

Thanks Rob,

I'll certainly ask them about that. My thinking is since the WRE 2019 retains a focus helicoid that it wouldn't necessarily have the same concerns as the Actar-19 with all the elements in place. I guess it would depend if the focussing assembly they're using moves the elements in the same way as the original.
Ah, good catch. I should not have assumed that the WRE 2019 is the same concept (no helicoid). If they set the movements of the elements to be the same (and why would they mess with Nikon's design?), then you should be good to go. Nice work Cambo.