The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Camera/Lens for Washington DC Cherry blossoms

Greg Haag

I was hoping to get some guidance for photographing the Cherry blossoms in DC. I have never been for this, but my impression is the tidal basin is where I will mostly be shooting. I am trying to decide between my technical camera or GFX and what focal lengths will be important. If anyone has any experience to share on this I would love to hear from you.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

jng

Hi Greg,

Worth checking into to verify, but I think the National Parks Service rangers will hassle you if they see you using a tripod. I think this can be circumvented to some degree if you're out in the early morning or evening hours, but this might not work so well if the cherry blossoms are your intended subject. Also it can be quite crowded during peak season, so perhaps the Fuji will work better in this environment in any case.

John

Greg Haag

Hi Greg,

Worth checking into to verify, but I think the National Parks Service rangers will hassle you if they see you using a tripod. I think this can be circumvented to some degree if you're out in the early morning or evening hours, but this might not work so well if the cherry blossoms are your intended subject. Also it can be quite crowded during peak season, so perhaps the Fuji will work better in this environment in any case.

John
Thank you John, I had forgotten about tripods being a problem!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Quick Google search shows tons of tripods set up for cherry blossom photography in DC.

tripods are also allowed on the Mall except inside the Lincoln and Jefferson memorials

algrove

Greg
Years ago tripods permits were required when I lived there. I went to a Park Police Office to obtain a permit up near the capitol building. That was so long ago I am sure it has changed. Might be worth asking your congressman to help in advance if his/her office knows if permits required and where to obtain one.

Just in case take the GFX.

Last edited:

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I have been photographing cherry blossoms around the Tidal Basin for the better part of two decades. Your problem is not permission to use your tripod, but the crowds. The place is virtually bristling with tripods, and monopods and wheel chairs and and strollers, and slow photographers with too much equipment and every other impediment you can imagine. Some of my favorite photographs are of photographers. Anyway, you will find a tripod useful because it's best to get there before first light. Also the prettiest time. If you can find a spot along the southern end of the west side of the TB, you will have the newly-restored Jefferson Memorial across the water in your shot with the cherry trees in the foreground. Also, the bank is a bit raised here, so you won't have the horde in all your shots. Good luck.

Greg Haag

I have been photographing cherry blossoms around the Tidal Basin for the better part of two decades. Your problem is not permission to use your tripod, but the crowds. The place is virtually bristling with tripods, and monopods and wheel chairs and and strollers, and slow photographers with too much equipment and every other impediment you can imagine. Some of my favorite photographs are of photographers. Anyway, you will find a tripod useful because it's best to get there before first light. Also the prettiest time. If you can find a spot along the southern end of the west side of the TB, you will have the newly-restored Jefferson Memorial across the water in your shot with the cherry trees in the foreground. Also, the bank is a bit raised here, so you won't have the horde in all your shots. Good luck.
Thank you Timothy! I have added a map and boxed in an area in red, is this the to location you are referring to? What focal lengths would you consider most important?
Thanks again,
Greg

Tidal Basin.png

Last edited:

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I shoot mostly with digital medium format and use a variety of focal lengths. You can't go wrong with 35 or 50 equivalents, though it really depends on your style of work. Shallow depth of field with those blossoms close up are pretty nice too. Yes, that is precisely the location I head to when shooting. The sun will come up behind Jefferson's profile between the pillars of the Monument.

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
Don't forget to spend time at both the Roosevelt and MLK Memorials nearby. Both special, both festooned with color this time of year. By the way, I HAVE been kicked out of the Roosevelt Memorial several times for using a tripod. Technically, it is allowed, but not worth fighting that battle.

Greg Haag

Don't forget to spend time at both the Roosevelt and MLK Memorials nearby. Both special, both festooned with color this time of year. By the way, I HAVE been kicked out of the Roosevelt Memorial several times for using a tripod. Technically, it is allowed, but not worth fighting that battle.
Thank you Timothy!