The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cola power

lowep

i was just about to write (another) desperate "what to do" post to plea for advice about how to remove a lens with a copal o shutter stuck to a lens board that I had not touched for about a decade, after throwing almost a full can of wd-40 at the problem, as well as a few days wondering how to solve this problem without destroying (1) the lens (2) the lens board (3) my self respect... when out of the blue I remembered standing under a tree watching a bush mechanic remove a rusted pipe from an even rustier car engine with (of course) Coca Cola!

Why not give it a try?

Well to cut a long story short less than 30 seconds after I tipped a spoonful of that black liquid gunk from my refrigerator on to that lens board, the ring around the lens that had refused to budge no matter what I tried to do suddenly started rotating like a perfectly oiled wheel and within seconds it was off.

problem solved!

KC_2020

WD-40 is hygroscopic so you do want to follow up by cleaning your lens, lens board and the retaining ring. If you don't you'll have the lubricant from the WD-40 and the moisture it attracted corroding your shutter.

lowep

thanks for this useful tip - would tepid water with a few drops of dishwashing liquid in it be ok for doing that?

KC_2020

Yes you could just wipe the lens board and retainer ring with a damp cloth and then dry it. If you can feel anything slippery, residual from the WD-40 anywhere on the lens or shutter, isopropyl alcohol will remove it.