The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Copal 0 servicing

Massive Si

The speed ring on my Cambo SK 35XL is very stiff at certain speeds and I am just wondering since they havent made these for a few years now, what the possible servicing options are?

if my shutter goes belly up, am I left with an expensive paperweight? The annoyance of Phase One not enabling the ES on IQ350 is still high for me, for this very reason, if the shutter itself went at least I might still be able to use the lens with an ES but of course P1 didnt

What do those with Copal0 shutter do if there's a problem. Particularly in Canada/US ? Find some retired engineer who took his tools home from the workshop to look after them?

Boinger

I think Sk grimes might be able to help. And you can always just swap out the shutter with another one.

Alkibiades

Mostly little stupid cleaning is needed. No need for special technical stuff.
Simply discribe exactly your problems, i will try to help.

rdeloe

If you can't fix it with help from Alkibiades, Carol Flutot also does Copal. She seems to be the go-to for the large format crowd.

eisbaer

If cleaning fails QiOptics/Rodenstock Germany has enough Copal 0 in stock for repairs for about 15-20 years. But a lot of hassle though, so I would try the other ways first.

If you can't fix it with help from Alkibiades, Carol Flutot also does Copal. She seems to be the go-to for the large format crowd.
I've heard good things about Flutot's Camera Repair unfortunately their backlog is huge. SK Grimes doesn't do shutter repair anymore (they have fantastic machinists though.) I've used Bob over at Precision Camera Works to repair a Copal 0 shutter and he's great. https://www.precisioncameraworks.com/