The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digital medium format in 2024 – it's not dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Spinnler

It is interesting to note that I cannot find any evidence that DJI has produced any digital backs for any camera, yet you are quite sure the will be making the one that is currently rumored. I obviously don't have access to the back channels you seem to have, but I would be wary of a first-generation digital back from a company with no history of making anything similar. Who has made Hasselblad's digital backs and cameras up to this point?
Please inform yourself. Don't come across as entitled and back-questioning, demanding "evidence".

The acquisition took place in 2017. They have successfully launched countless products with Hasselblad over the last 7 years with product leaks regularly out of China.

Sensors are from Sony, hardware implementation by Hasselblad and DJI who owns Hasselblad.

DJI is probably one of the technologically most capable hardware tech companies in the world right now. They are a hardware production powerhouse covering the gamut from high end photographic equipment, drones and cinema cameras even with advanced gimbal systems. They also supply the Chinese military with drone technology and just announced the world's first 60lbs payload civil short-haul transportation solution with 20km range.

CFV backs came out during this era.

The new back will be announced in two weeks, we have this info courtesy of TechTalk ... look at the other thread.

The new CFV will be announced in Hong Kong. TechTalk even posted the invite.

Who else should produce the back in your view?

Last edited:

Pieter 12

Are you on DJI’s payroll? You make it seem so.

I know very well that DJI owns Hasselblad. But that does not mean they make anything. Since I don’t know that Hasselblad makes any digital equipment in Sweden, I was curious who they were outsourcing from. All the facts you have cited do not lead me to believe DJI, a drone manufacturer, has any direct expertise in the design and manufacturing of high-end digital imaging equipment. As far as I can tell, they do make an APS-C video camera that is well-regarded. Google provides no additional information about the Hasselblad digital back source. And I really don’t care if it were to be DJI, Phase One or Fuji, just looking for a straight answer.

Pieter 12

I am gonna go make myself some popcorn and watch a movie, have fun with the debate Pieter 12
I'm not debating anyone. A debate requires different opinions to be defended. I have no opinion in this matter, just curiosity. And I will most probably never be the owner of the equipment in question, my curiosity was more about whether the technology might pass on to other backs if they are made by the same entity.

Paul Spinnler

Are you on DJI’s payroll? You make it seem so.

I know very well that DJI owns Hasselblad. But that does not mean they make anything. Since I don’t know that Hasselblad makes any digital equipment in Sweden, I was curious who they were outsourcing from. All the facts you have cited do not lead me to believe DJI, a drone manufacturer, has any direct expertise in the design and manufacturing of high-end digital imaging equipment. As far as I can tell, they do make an APS-C video camera that is well-regarded. Google provides no additional information about the Hasselblad digital back source. And I really don’t care if it were to be DJI, Phase One or Fuji, just looking for a straight answer.
DJI has been manufacturing cinema cameras for a while – which is arguably the pinnacle of "high-end digital imaging equipment", and a step up from just a photo system, with their Ronin line of cameras and they've integrated the colour science and optics know-how from Hasselblad into their cinema drones after the acquisition over the last years. Have you spent five minutes clicking through DJIs websites to see what they do and what they are capable of?

Haselblad is owned by DJI and Hasselblad has been manufacturing backs for many years.

The way you ask, with this sort of entitlement that someone needs to prove to you something ... although a bit of research combined with logical thinking would lead you to all the answers ...

And on the payroll topic – if you had followed a bit the debate on DJI x Hassy you would know that I was in the past rather critical of DJI ... so quite the opposite.

The new back will be presented in the DJI Hasselblad store in Hong Kong – mind you, the global premiere is not in Sweden anymore, but in China. Look at TechTalk's thread on this topic.

Last edited:

TechTalk

To be clear about what I've previously posted in the Hasselblad CFV 100C Update Thread, A week ago I wrote: "It's possible the event notice is simply a Hong Kong brand store event on January 27 to follow after the official launch."
I didn't expect there would be any change in the size of the CFV 100C, but thought I would check. The FCC documents linked earlier confirm the dimensions of the CFV 100C remain the same as the CFV II 50C.

One other note, the event notice above is for the DJI | Hasselblad brand store in Hong Kong. It's possible the event notice is simply a Hong Kong brand store event on January 27 to follow after the official launch.
I don't know how a CFV 100C launch might occur. It would not surprise me if a launch happened online consisting primarily of press releases and social media posts and videos. We'll all find out what, when where, and how any announcement is made when it happens.

TechTalk

I am sorry. You have no clue what you are talking about.
Well I just realized that with the new Hassy back and IS we will actually get Multi Shot...

...IS not only means handheld shooting, but it also means multi shot!
No, including in-body image stabilization (IBIS) in a camera means you have image stabilization — multi-shot is not a feature in every camera with IBIS.

The X2D 100C has IBIS but does not have a multi-shot function.

Well they have the know-how from the 400-MS ...
No, the piezoelectric actuators used to move the sensor in Hasselblad multi-shot digital backs with extreme linear precision are not the same as a voice coil motor used for freely moving a sensor with IBIS which may also include "pixel shift" multi-shot functions in some cameras. Both systems move the sensor, but use technology and hardware which are entirely different.

The H6D-400c MS has multi-shot functionality, but does not have IBIS.

DJI bought Hasselblad a few years ago.
Seven years ago DJI acquired controlling interest in Hasselblad as a subsidiary. ["Subsidiaries are separate, distinct legal entities ... they differ from divisions, which are businesses fully integrated within the main company, and not legally or otherwise distinct from it. The subsidiary will be required to follow the laws where it is headquartered and incorporated. It will also maintain its own executive leadership."]

Hasselblad is now run out of China.
Hasselblad Holding S.à r.l. in Luxembourg is the parent company of Hasselblad. DJI Ventures II A Company Limited, registered in the British Virgin Islands, acquired controlling interest thru shares in Hasselblad Holding S.à r.l. in 2017. The executive board at Hasselblad's operational headquarters in Sweden is appointed by DJI. The board sets overall direction at Hasselblad and oversees its finances (which are independent of DJI's). The day to day management is carried out by Hasselblad's managers in Sweden.

They will present the new back in Hong Kong in two weeks.
There will be an event in the Hong Kong DJI | Hasselblad brand store. There will likely be a variety of events in many places following a new product introduction of significance.

DJI has the capabilities and R&D power to produce a new digital back with IS, multi-shot, etc.
No need. They have a foreign subsidiary in Sweden with a lot of experience in that type of imaging system. DJI is naturally focused on its own core businesses which they have expanded over the years as is Hasselblad. Separate product segments and focus notwithstanding, Hasselblad and DJI engineers have engaged in collaborative projects to advance product development for both companies benefit.

I am sorry. You have no clue what you are talking about...

...The way you ask, with this sort of entitlement that someone needs to prove to you something ... lol, although a bit of research combined with logical thinking would lead you to all the answers ...

Last edited:

TechTalk

I am sorry. Pls. use Google. Inform yourself. Don't come across as entitled and back-questioning, demanding "evidence"...

Since 2017 DJI and the Swedish team from the acquired Hasselblad company, released a bunch of cool products and therefore turned around the business...

Looks like you have been literally living under a rock... CFV backs came out during this era.
No, the first CFV back came out in 2006 with a 16 megapixel CCD sensor. The CFV 50c with a 50 megapixel CMOS sensor was introduced in 2014. There were a number of CFV models in between those two models. All of those CFV models were produced before DJI had made any investment in Hasselblad.

The first version of the 907X + CFV II 50C was introduced in 2019 after their acquisition by DJI in 2017.

Last edited:

Paul Spinnler

Techtalk has stirred the pot at DPReview and is doing it here. It always derails when he multi-cites others to try to make them look stupid. Its a pattern across forums.

To be clear on what's happening here – multi-citing someone else's post to "dissect" it – is very rude in forum terms and he can't help but do it. It gets under one's skin and forces replies and then it degenerates and others perceive it as a worsening of a free exchange of views culture. If one needs to wary of a "multi-citing" attack it becomes a not-nice place.

This is intended to be a thread to share views, thoughts, insights on the new products and he decides to come in, look through the clear gist of logical thought proceses of how statements came about to then go on an pinpoint small facts which are not-needle-moving to make someone look essentially stupid. Then he shrouds it with generalistic fluff which cannot be argued with and doesn't say anything. Its rude, essentially.

He also hasn't shown a single picture despite being called out by the mod / forum members.

I've decided to not reply – to not contribute to a worsening of the culture.

I hope we can freely talk and speculate about MF in 2024 without being rudely multi-cited.

Like the new XT XL which will hopefully announced soon.

Last edited:

anyone

Gentlemen, relax, it's Sunday! :)

To me, multishot wouldn't be a feature I'd really need. 100mp are more than enough for my printing needs. And in terms of the influence of DJI on Hasselblad, is it that important? I'm happy the company is healthy and alive (didn't look always that way in the past) and that they started to remember that they have a lot of Hasselblad V users. Those are good news for me. With the new BSI 100mp back around the corner, 2024 is exciting.

drevil

Staff member
Techtalk has stirred the pot at DPReview and is doing it here. It always derails when he multi-cites others to try to make them look stupid. Its a pattern across forums.
Maybe true, but its you, for who I once again got a report. About your choice of wording, keep personal insults at zero please!

Paul Spinnler

Maybe true, but its you, for who I once again got a report. About your choice of wording, keep personal insults at zero please!
Hi Drevil

Of course I want to heed the personal insult point. But its about something else here.

Can you kindly recognize the provocations of TechTalk. He does it across forums and it is troll behaviour that harms the culture.

One can keep insullts at 0 and then still start citing and commenting on people with a patronizing tone to the point where it becomes a provocation and problematic. Or posting very specific youtube links to send a message, etc.

One can then reply to his longform post and make a comment on every comment and then it degenerates and distracts – but is still "polite".

I'll file a complaint to you separately so you have that also in writing – not receiving a complaint merely means someone didn't take the time to post it.

Its a pattern – go look at DPReview. And he hasn't posted a single picture of his.

If you find it ok to "politely" multi-cite people like this, putting statements in juxtaposition to indirectly ridicule, etc. despite a clear intent that's different ... then we enter into a whole different scene of not nice, but by the rules? I can happily dismantle every single comment of him, make ample use of multi-quote, juxtapositions, etc., but is this then ok just because it is worded without insults?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.