The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

dave.gt

Finally getting to spend a little time on my images from my trip to Death Valley and Oregon Coast earlier this year. This was a pano from someplace out in the desert, not really sure if it has a name. I am trying to decide on Color or BW for an image for my office, would love any guidance. This will be about 6' long maybe a canvas, I am not sure?

IQ4 150 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 90mm

View attachment 189850

View attachment 189851
Color for me, it adds depth for my eyes.:)

Beautiful!!! Thanks!

dj may

Finally getting to spend a little time on my images from my trip to Death Valley and Oregon Coast earlier this year. This was a pano from someplace out in the desert, not really sure if it has a name. I am trying to decide on Color or BW for an image for my office, would love any guidance. This will be about 6' long maybe a canvas, I am not sure?

View attachment 189850

View attachment 189851
Whenever you have difficulty deciding, the answer is black and white.

f6cvalkyrie

View attachment 189850

View attachment 189851
Colour for me too, please :)

anwarp

Greg
I agree it's hard to decide. The black and white has a fantastic range of tones and the colour shows depth.
Both?
If I were presed, I'd choose the colour though.

docholliday

I think I'm the opposite here. I'd prefer the B&W - but only if the contrast was raised to show some true blacks and pure whites. The abstract shapes stand alone for making a good large image. I'd personally make it very abstract looking where the viewer would have to examine the image for a few minutes to realize that there's a road going through it. The lack of contrast makes it very flat and lacking. However, I feel the color version is very blasé, almost like everybody's shots of Alabama Hills.

Greg Haag

I think I'm the opposite here. I'd prefer the B&W - but only if the contrast was raised to show some true blacks and pure whites. The abstract shapes stand alone for making a good large image. I'd personally make it very abstract looking where the viewer would have to examine the image for a few minutes to realize that there's a road going through it. The lack of contrast makes it very flat and lacking. However, I feel the color version is very blasé, almost like everybody's shots of Alabama Hills.
Thank you for the specifics!

Greg Haag

Apologies, I just re-read what I wrote and I didn't mean to sound short. I used to judge quite a few competitions and the habit of "short and sweet" got engrained in my explanations...

I hope you don't mind, I did a rough, quick crop & edit to better illustrate my thoughts ("a picture is worth 1000 words"):
View attachment 189858
You did not sound short in the least, I appreciate the feedback! I love what you did with the image! I struggle to some degree with all aspects of photography, but especially black and white conversions. Thanks for taking the time!

Makten

I've been enjoying the GFX system for a couple of years now – first with the 50R and now the 50S II – and lately I'm trying to get back into what I really want to shoot. Which is abstract patterns, shapes and general "ugly" stuff that can be found everywhere, and that most people don't notice, but still can make nice images. Here are two recent ones; the first is with the GF 35-70 and the second with the GF 50/3.5...

by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

Edit: The downscaling algorithm on this site doesn't seem to be the best. A ton of "square" artefacts appears that are not visible when I view the images on Flickr. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Makten

Does anyone know what the maximum upload size for images is? I tried to directly upload an image at ~2.5 meg and 2048 pixels wide, but it was too large. :unsure: