The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2021

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Three images where I have been practising with the use of PS's new Select Sky function...

Toowoon Bay on the NSW Central Coast. Fuji GFX100S with Pentax 645 28-45mm lens @ 28mm. Sky replaced with one from another shot taken at Wobbegong Bay.

Barn at Benandarah near Bateman's Bay on the NSW South Coast. Fuji GFX100S with Pentax 645 55mm DFA lens. Sky replaced with one taken at Blackheath in NSW Blue Mountains.

Sydney's CBD seen from Narraweena. Fuji GFX100S with Pentax 67 400mm EDIF lens. Sky replaced with one taken at Wobbegong Bay.
Call it "negative space" and a boring sky becomes cool ;).

dave.gt

Call it "negative space" and a boring sky becomes cool ;).
Color, it adds depth! And it adds, well, as Matt said, color! And interest.

Sometimes low contrast black and white is rather bland for me…Sometimes not. Perhaps a different post processing would give me a reason to choose it instead of color. Just a thought…:)

Thanks for sharing!:)

Last edited:

Abstraction

Frankly, I'm not too keen on either one of them. The color is this sickly yellow, and the BW is flat and underexposed. The composition leaves a bit to be desired as well. I think I would crop the bottom, focus on the branches and move it from being centrally based.

Ed Hurst

Here's one from last weekend. Saturday evening showed the possibility of storms and I had negotiated with my wonderful partner that I could be free (which meant she would handle the kids' dinner and bedtime solo). I never really saw any storm activity, though I did hear thunder in the distance. Still, at least the mixture of sunshine and rain brought with it a lovely rainbow.

Balmoral Beach (Sydney). Fuji GFX100S, Pentax 645 25mm DA lens.

drevil

Staff member
First hike of 2022, when arriving in the area, a very popular and maybe most beautiful area for visiting the great wall, it started to snow a tiny bit for a while, leaving a thin layer of white over large areas.
even a wrong turn on the way up to the great wall, couldnt make me feel bad after i observed the scenery beneath us. in all my 11 years of hiking on the great wall, this must have been one of the best moods i have ever captured.

all images taken, as usual, with a c645, P65+ and a mix of the contax 35mm and 120mm makro

Ed Hurst

First hike of 2022, when arriving in the area, a very popular and maybe most beautiful area for visiting the great wall, it started to snow a tiny bit for a while, leaving a thin layer of white over large areas.
even a wrong turn on the way up to the great wall, couldnt make me feel bad after i observed the scenery beneath us. in all my 11 years of hiking on the great wall, this must have been one of the best moods i have ever captured.

all images taken, as usual, with a c645, P65+ and a mix of the contax 35mm and 120mm makro
Wow - simply incredible. The atmosphere is remarkable, perfectly captured and expressed.

Greg Haag

I have been to Mesquite Flat Dunes in Death Valley to shoot on 4 different occasions, this is the only time where the sky cooperated. Just a few moments before darkness the sky exploded with color, it was one of those times where I was conflicted on whether to try and capture or just enjoy. By the time it was over and I had packed up my gear it was pretty dark, one thing I have discovered is that for me the dunes can be disorienting, especially at night. Fortunately, I had geotagged my vehicle location and followed that back with no issues.

IQ4 150. Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 32mm

Mesquite Flat Dunes Sunset-1.jpg

UliM.

pair of storcks at winter noon.jpg
moody and foogy late january afternoon near river Rhine: a pair of storcks had decided to stay here for winter - all their colleagues went to Africa in late september instead - hope the winter stays mild and not to frosty and snowy, so that they can find enought food...
IQ3 Achromatic, SK 110 mm

gurtch

I have been to Mesquite Flat Dunes in Death Valley to shoot on 4 different occasions, this is the only time where the sky cooperated. Just a few moments before darkness the sky exploded with color, it was one of those times where I was conflicted on whether to try and capture or just enjoy. By the time it was over and I had packed up my gear it was pretty dark, one thing I have discovered is that for me the dunes can be disorienting, especially at night. Fortunately, I had geotagged my vehicle location and followed that back with no issues.

IQ4 150. Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 32mm

View attachment 190889
Greg, this is incredible. Well done. I can imagine a big print of this hanging on your wall over the sofa!.
Dave