The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MF images 2024

Pieter 12

I’m sorry you didn’t like the image. The area around that beautiful orchid detracted from the image…hence the mask
Stanley
It is not that I don't like the image. The masking technique needs to improve, it looks obvious and detracts from the subject--therefore from the image itself. The comment was meant to be constructive.

Last edited:

daz7

Leaving aside this particular photo - the comments make you wonder for what purpose people upload photos at all to publicly available websites.
It seems to me that when you upload a photo somewhere, you do it to show your work and you don't mind, or even expect and welcome comments. Should only positive comments be expected?
Wouldn't it be pointless for authors if you could only receive positive feedback?
It probably depends on the person, but I personally would rather not have others say only compliments to me. It would not benefit me, wouldn't change anything and it definitely wouldn't allow me to grow and learn. I personally prefer to hear both criticism and praise, because that is the only thing that gives a chance to learn something through the feedback loop.
On the other hand, being a snowflake has become so commonplace that I am even afraid to ask if grades are still given in schools these days.
Probalbly not, as that would be deemed too offensive.

stngoldberg

Daz7
you make a good point…I welcome criticism…I was merely explaining why that particular image needed a mask..
Over the course of several years, I got in the habit of posting images because I wanted others to feel comfortable to post theirs; the win for me was the ability to see what creativity others employed…thereby challenging my horizons
This website has been successful because people seem to enjoy each other and are respectful of each other.
I hope that continues as I have learned a great deal watching the diversity of photographic content.
On the other hand, I DO NOT wish to discus political thoughts here…just photography
Stanley

Ed Hurst

Provided comments are constructive and respectful in nature, I believe critiques are some of the most valuable things about this group - and I welcome feedback/suggestions as a tremendously valuable commodity. That said, I too would prefer not to see political discourse here. It's very easy for that to start happening, when we have strong views of how the world works, and even to stop noticing that they are political.

Ed Hurst

Final shot in this sequence of images of churches in the Grantham (Lincolnshire, UK) area.

St. Wulfram's church again, on a misty morning. I actually went to a primary school immediately adjacent to this viewpoint (from the ages of 7-11) and became so familiar with the fact that one corner of the tower is outsize that I hardly even notice it any more. This is because that's where the spiral staircase runs up the tower (years later, I'd often walk up those stairs to ring the church bells!).

GFX100S with Laowa 20mm lens
_DSF9515_Step8sRGBSMALL by Ed Hurst, on Flickr

drevil

Staff member
what bugs me is that stanley himself didnt complain and even said he is ok with critique.

i think he can defense himself, when someone is TRULY rude towards him, as it should be

same thing happened a few weeks, when i criticized a picture full of dust spots, my words were exaggerated, sure, but come on. i even said i like the picture.

darr

Here's my take on critiquing photos and maintaining the peaceful vibe of this forum: If I ask for it, please feel free to fire away with your thoughts. But I'm just here to share some images, not to engage in a debate about the finer points of composition, etc. My photos aren't up for sale; I'm just in it for the sheer joy of sharing what I see. So, unless I specifically ask for feedback, let's keep the peace in this delightful corner of the internet. I've seen enough virtual smackdowns in other forums where self-proclaimed experts try to school photographers on their work. Let's skip the drama and enjoy the ride. If someone requests your opinion, sure, feel free to share it. But if not, keep the peace and move on.

Last edited:

Pieter 12

Here's my take on critiquing photos and maintaining the peaceful vibe of this forum: If I ask for it, please feel free to fire away with your thoughts. But I'm just here to share some images, not to engage in a debate about the finer points of composition, etc. My photos aren't up for sale; I'm just in it for the sheer joy of sharing what I see. So, unless I specifically ask for feedback, let's keep the peace in this delightful corner of the internet. I've seen enough virtual smackdowns in other forums where self-proclaimed experts try to school photographers on their work. Let's skip the drama and enjoy the ride, shall we?
I don't want to seem argumentative, and I never comment on the artistic aspects of a posted image. However, when I see something that lacks in technical execution (several examples, usually showing the originator is not aware of it), I feel the need to point it out. Generally so the poster might consider improving their technique. Nothing dramatic. People who are posting here have laid out serious money for their occupation or hobby and it could be hoped they are just as serious about the execution.

darr

I don't want to seem argumentative, and I never comment on the artistic aspects of a posted image. However, when I see something that lacks in technical execution (several examples, usually showing the originator is not aware of it), I feel the need to point it out. Generally so the poster might consider improving their technique. Nothing dramatic. People who are posting here have laid out serious money for their occupation or hobby and it could be hoped they are just as serious about the execution.
Perhaps sending a private message could be a more effective approach. It opens up the opportunity for a dialogue that could potentially be more helpful.

jng

Perhaps sending a private message could be a more effective approach. It opens up the opportunity for a dialogue that could potentially be more helpful.
In my own experience, the nature of electronic communication makes nuance and intention difficult to divine in certain if not many circumstances. So, while this may not have been the intent behind the original message ("I'm sorry. The obvious masking detracts from the image."), it's perhaps not too hard to see how its terseness may have been off-putting to some. I don't consider or assume anyone here to be "snowflakes" who melt under criticism; rather; there are certain social conventions that can be easy to overlook in the forum format.

Like @darr, I also post my images to share with others. I am not looking for critique or anything in return here. I think there used to be a thread for public critique elsewhere on GetDPI, but I couldn't find it in a quick search last night (I'm either misremembering or it was removed by the mods for lack of interest). In any case, as suggested above by Darr, a critique and conversation can be made via DM. It would then be up to the OP to share (or not) with the rest of the forum community. Or perhaps someone can (re)start a thread if there's interest in an open forum for public critique, and see how it goes. My two ¢.

John

Pieter 12

In my own experience, the nature of electronic communication makes nuance and intention difficult to divine in certain if not many circumstances. So, while this may not have been the intent behind the original message ("I'm sorry. The obvious masking detracts from the image."), it's perhaps not too hard to see how its terseness may have been off-putting to some. I don't consider or assume anyone here to be "snowflakes" who melt under criticism; rather; there are certain social conventions that can be easy to overlook in the forum format.

Like @darr, I also post my images to share with others. I am not looking for critique or anything in return here. I think there used to be a thread for public critique elsewhere on GetDPI, but I couldn't find it in a quick search last night (I'm either misremembering or it was removed by the mods for lack of interest). In any case, as suggested above by Darr, a critique and conversation can be made via DM. It would then be up to the OP to share (or not) with the rest of the forum community. Or perhaps someone can (re)start a thread if there's interest in an open forum for public critique, and see how it goes. My two ¢.

John
I dunno. A DM seems like a targeted and personal critique. Open commentary allows for others to chime in, concurring or disagreeing with the point being made. All my comment has seemed to churn up is whether it is legitimate to comment on (other than "like") something that has been posted for public consumption.

daz7

I dunno. A DM seems like a targeted and personal critique.
Completely agree.
DM messages would feel rude, patronizing, and ad-personam, in my opinion. Public comments allow to see a full spectrum of opinions and may even lead to an interesting discussion between other users with different views.

darr

DM messages would feel rude, patronizing, and ad-personam ...
This can also apply to offering opinions publicly without invitation.

Over at another forum I frequent, they've got this golden rule plastered on two places in their guidelines: Critiques should only be offered if requested by the original poster.
It's in place to prevent a negativity tornado from brewing. Sadly, some humans can't resist twisting feedback into a weapon against those they do not care for.

A positive step is that anyone can start a thread specifically for critiques.

--

Regarding the "Like" button, I happen to like it. :)
When I leave a Like, I tell the photographer I noticed their work and appreciate it.
If I leave a "Love," it is the equivalent of placing a silver or gold ribbon on their photo like received in art school.
If I pass the photo by without leaving notice, that also says something.

People will have differing opinions on all of this, and this is mine.
The one thing that works to help anyone pursuing an art is encouragement.
If my Likes and Loves help give a fellow photographer some energy to continue onward, I have succeeded.

rdeloe

Critiquing is a skill. I teach a course for undergraduates who are new to purposeful photography, and new to critiquing. I spend a lot of time teaching them what's useful in critiques, and what isn't. They are nervous at first, but then most are empowered when they discover that they have the capacity to receive direct and constructive feedback, but also to give it.

Andrew Molitor has an interesting perspective on critiquing that I use to give the students some perspective. http://photothunk.blogspot.com/2018/05/critique-yea-or-nay.html
Critiquing can be a power play; Andrew does a good job of explaining how that works.

Pieter 12

Critiquing is a skill. I teach a course for undergraduates who are new to purposeful photography, and new to critiquing. I spend a lot of time teaching them what's useful in critiques, and what isn't. They are nervous at first, but then most are empowered when they discover that they have the capacity to receive direct and constructive feedback, but also to give it.

Andrew Molitor has an interesting perspective on critiquing that I use to give the students some perspective. http://photothunk.blogspot.com/2018/05/critique-yea-or-nay.html
Critiquing can be a power play; Andrew does a good job of explaining how that works.
When I was at art school, it was quite common for some students to leave a critique in tears. Encouragement is good, but encouragement to improve is better.