The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with X-T50??? (based on rumors)

raist3d

Yeah, I am jumping the gun on a rumor, but looks like Fuji will unveil the X-T50 on May 16, 2024 at their next summit.

But the reason this is on my radar is because two key aspects on it that surfaced as strong rumors
- 40MP X-T5 sensor use
- IBIS

I would imagine the camera may increase thikcness by 1-2 mm just like the X100V-> X100VI did, but I think with this I can finally leave m43rds for good (and I would have to sell the Canon I got recently, which has been better than I had expected).

Here's basically why
- 40 MP (I don't care much for 40MP over 26MP in an on itself) would allow me to do 14-15MP shots at 135mm focal equivalent cropping with the Sigma or Fuji 56mm lenses. This one is key as the Oly 75mm F1.8 is a lens that held me to the system.
- Can shoot at 4:3's with more than enough resolution still (~35 MP).
- IBIS expands the use of the XF27mm F2.8 portable pancake. IBIS to me is not essential but it's a nice bonus. And some night portraits with the XF35 F1.4? I am looking forward to that as that to me is a magical lens.
- Camera is also pretty small, which is a requirement
- TILT LCD, not FAS LCD - also a strong preference of mine
- Will have all the new AF of the X-T5, including AI AF modes. This includes much better general AF and much better face detect.
- The same image quality of the X-T5 / X-H2

I am expecting this will roll at a $1099 or $1199 MSRP USD. That would put it away from the X-T5 by $400 USD. Basically 25% cheaper than the X-T5.

To think that this little camera will best the IQ of the OM-1 MKII is kind of wow when thinking it will be probably $1300 USD cheaper, I realize not all same capabilities but then the same can be said vice versa. The OM-1 MKII is too big for me anyway.

I will forever miss the 20mm F1.7, 15mm F1.7, 25mm F1.8, 45mm F1.8 and 75mm F1.8 from m43rds, but I think I waited for both Olympus/OM Systems, Panasonic to follow up with a true semi pro small camera that would matter to street and they have not.

To state the obvious: I am talking from my needs perspective, obviously everyone has to match and make their own choices.

But... this is all rumors at the moment. Rumors are rumors... let's see what happens May 16.

raist3d

In the end I still have to make a call on keeping using the now defunct recently acquired Canon EOS M as I got a very small camera in the M200 and it's all capable too. Jumping to latest is a sign of GAS as usual. I have to make the commitment to get rid of the rest for real if I get the Fuji, but I already got that commitment with the Canon.

I'll probably keep the GM5 and PenF from m43rds and some key lenses I like, but sell the rest.

raist3d

And it's amazing what an hour and a half walk outside can do for you and temper GAS ;-)

As wonderful as I am sure this camera will be, I am skipping. The TL;DR is, I have enough of Fuji equipment as it is, and if I am not using regularly and I tended to look at other bodies, there must be a reason for it, and the X-T50 fundamentally won't change those reasons.

I am aiming for pretty small. I can only hope one day m43rs delivers on a more modern still very small camera to match with the smaller primes but in the meantime I should push myself with that Canon M200.

To whoever goes for this Fuji congrats, I am sure it will be quite nice.

raist3d

Haha, I wonder what you are thinking. In other news, I went on that walk with my old X-T10 and I am shocked at the amount of detail this thing is doing from Iridient Digital raw conversions with the XF27. But in general, how much easier is to get the color I want. This more than resolution may make me go X-T50 after all. But I should like shut up for now :)

For example, Iridient 100% preview crop:

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 12.01.23 AM.jpg

Full shot (size reduced)

DSCF9928.jpg

More than the 40 MP on the rumored X-T50, I would be more interested in the enhancements in AF, and for some select cases, the IBIS (plus then ability to get colors I want over the Canon).

Last edited:

raist3d

X-T10 again, same shot, converted with DXO, putting a masking horizontal gradient on the clouds. I had shot this at DR400% and it's nice to see it has all the data there of the sky.

DSCF9928_DxO.jpg

raist3d

Fuji specs and price leaks. Please keep in mind this is still rumor, but prices look like have gone up.

From FujiRumors

And there’s that controversial dial changed from drive modes to film simulations.

- Ricardo