The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad XCD Lens focus speeds

Tashat

Hi All,

I have just bought a Hasselblad 907x 100c to primarily be used on a technical camera.
I have bought a used XCD 65mm 2.8 for a walk around lens which produces some great images but it really seems to struggle with focusing. Often takes multiple attempts to focus on various subjects, in various lighting while noisily hunting in and out. Seems faster to manual focus, but not so pleasant with it not having a manual focusing ring.

My question is how much faster are the new lenses XCD 38mm 2.5, 55mm 2.5 and 90mm 2.5 and also the 45P, I imagine manual focus feels alot better?

I would like the 55mm but I hear image quality is not as good, also price is a lot more. Is the 45P much quicker than the 65mm?

Will be used for any work where I need to work quicker than a technical camera such as holiday snaps or documentary style work and have autofocus for the odd portrait.

Thanks for your feedback!

alextsayun

I have 55v and 65, 45 and the new lens is much faster. If we compare 65 and 45 for me at 65 focus works a little faster that at 45. I prefer 55 only for size and weight, 65 is a bit difficult to beat in terms of picture quality for sure, it has perfect colors and super sharp.

wattsy

I have the 45P, 21/F4 and 28P and have rented the zoom and 55V. I have found the AF with all of them sufficiently fast for my needs but the only one which I have found noticeably fast is the 28P. That seems to focus instantly. The others are quick but will hunt back and forth on occasions, at least in the situations that I have used them.

For perspective, I have mostly or entirely used manual focus with the camera systems that I am familiar with (I use the 907x mostly in MF mode too) so most modern AF systems seem quite fast to me.

tenmangu81

I have the 55V, the 45P, and I had (just sold) the XCD65. The two former are great, the 45P is a little better in the corners than the 55V, and they are both very easy to manual focus (not by wire). The XCD65 is, by far, one of the best lenses I've ever had, but difficult to manual focus, slow and noisy in AF, and heavy and bulky.
These considerations are only for the X1D II, as I haven't the X2D yet.

Last edited: