The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help planning gear for Washington DC trip

Greg Haag

I am going to be in Washington DC for a week and I am trying to decide which camera to take Cambo or GFX, this will be strictly for shooting landmarks.

If Cambo, I am thinking wide and long 32mm and 180mm and leave my 90mm at home.
If GFX, I am thinking 23mm, 35-70mm and 250mm

Hoping to see if anyone has a recommendation based on experience there? I anticipate mainly shooting at sunrise or sunset. I have considered seeing if there are any sunrise/sunset guided tours, but probably won't unless something great is available.
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Also, I wonder if frame averaging would be a beneficial edge for the combo?

Last edited:

JeffK

went to Washington DC years ago for a conference. Kids spent the day with mom checking museums etc... I went before the conference and after. Amazing trip. Had a little Lumix LX3 and and an even smaller pocket Lumix. Pictures turned out great. Even printed a family photobook. And won a photo contest while I was at the conference.

Photo winner:

Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.41.51 AM.png

And some others that were fun.
In this one Sam walked over the grey tape and turned out it's a silent alarm!!!

Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.40.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-30 at 11.40.11 AM.png

GregMO

Hi. Enjoy your trip.

Sunrise will offer many more potential photos with few or no people in the scenes. Sunset will still have many people out/ sitting on the monument steps.

I believe the Capitol Building has scaffolding on it at the moment. But there are any number of spots along the National Mall, Reflecting Pool and Tidal Basin for sunrise photos. As well as the Marine Corps War Memorial and in front of the Netherlands Carillon Tower in Arlington, VA shooting east over the river to line up the Lincoln/ Washington/ Capitol.

Night is a good time to photograph the as well. Last time I knew, all of the monuments remain lit throughout the night. Fountains and the White House lights turned off at midnight.

Getting to the top of the Old Post Office Tower offers good views. Top of the Kennedy Center to photograph Georgetown & Key Bridge and Rosslyn, VA. Lots of architectural detail that can be photographed around the area.

Greg Haag

Hi. Enjoy your trip.

Sunrise will offer many more potential photos with few or no people in the scenes. Sunset will still have many people out/ sitting on the monument steps.

I believe the Capitol Building has scaffolding on it at the moment. But there are any number of spots along the National Mall, Reflecting Pool and Tidal Basin for sunrise photos. As well as the Marine Corps War Memorial and in front of the Netherlands Carillon Tower in Arlington, VA shooting east over the river to line up the Lincoln/ Washington/ Capitol.

Night is a good time to photograph the as well. Last time I knew, all of the monuments remain lit throughout the night. Fountains and the White House lights turned off at midnight.

Getting to the top of the Old Post Office Tower offers good views. Top of the Kennedy Center to photograph Georgetown & Key Bridge and Rosslyn, VA. Lots of architectural detail that can be photographed around the area.
Thank you Greg, those are great suggestions!

Buttsc7875

Definitely shoot monuments early morning. Technically, you need a permit to shoot on the park grounds anywhere with a tripod. So dont be surprise if park police ask you to put away a tripod.

The Lincoln M shot at 5AM. World War II M shot late evening with tripod. I know there is a bid for construction on the Lincoln M. Don't know if they have started. Great time to be in DC. Lots of rain has everything lush and green, big clouds in the afternoon.

Attachments