The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is it only me?

rayyan

Hi.

Going over lots and lots of images made with the X-Trans sensor, and posted on various sites, I have noticed that a preponderance of images are portraits ( of animate and inanimate objects ). Travel images from different exotic and mundane places. Mostly of street,buildings etc.

I searched for landscape images…I found seascapes, deserts and mountains ( Yosemite e.g ).

But an obvious dirth of lush green forests, rolling meadows, wood lands. Greens?

Am I wrong?

Shashin

Yes. Your search might bias the results. Also, you would need to show that similar results would not happen with another camera/sensor.

As far as the number of images of street scenes might be a bias toward those that like Fuji cameras. Obviously, cameras like the X Pro, X100, and E-series camera are attractive to those that gravitate to more urban and humanistic photography. Landscape photographers (with the exception of photographers like Andy Mumford) prefer larger, higher-resolution sensors. I am not sure the X-trans sensor per se, rather than the camera design and format size, is the reason for a perceived lack of greens in the images.

rayyan

Will.

Andy Mumford make wonderful images.
But mostly of seascapes, Dolomites, snow, Lofoten etc.

just have browse through Fuji X photographers.
browse Flickr. See images with nikon n Fuji. Not the quality, but the variety. N lush green forests with a wa n nikon. Sure same with Sony or canon. Or even leica.

I believe people shy away from x-trans. heck My Sony rx100 can do everything without missing a beat.
and the raw files. I have leica nikon Sony rx and fuji xt3.
before the xt I never knew I had to have a collection of raw editing sw just to get a psd or tiff or ding or jpg image.

the long n short of it, for me, is going to be to explore other systems. However much I like the Fuji x ergo.

Last edited:

rayyan

Coz Algeove I was not born with the knowledge.
it is by seeing others practice their craft. By learning from their mistakes and mine.
by watching what others do. What others can teach you.
step by step, for me.

Best regards

YMMV.

rayyan

Are you interested, just in passing of course, what the Chandrayaan -3 is and did?
I am.
one Has to strive hard to gain knowledge.
by looking, hearing, reading and paractising

even flipping burgers needs a modicum of human experience.

tcdeveau

I generally prefer larger than APS-C sensors for landscapes and really like the X series for portraits.

In the past I’ve found files from the X1D, P1, etc more malleable than the Fuji X, which I appreciate for landscapes. Doesn’t mean the X system isn’t suitable for landscape just not a preference.

For portraits, I love the Fuji colors, and I’m not doing extensive edits. The bodies and lenses are also smaller and cheaper than the Nikon Z, MF, etc, the lenses render well, etc.

All that said I think we’ve more or less reached a point of singularity with digital cameras for most people’s uses. If one can’t do good landscape photography with the X series the camera is not the problem IMHO.

Here’s a recent waterfall pic I took with the X-T4. Handheld, stopped down to f22, less than ideal since I didn’t have a tripod or ND filters but the result is still what I was after. YMMV.

Attachments

JaapD

In theory the X-Trans sensor should give an advantage in the greens. This sensor has 2x2 green pixels neighboring each other, resulting in a higher MTF than with conventional Bayer sensors. A sharp lens and a good RAW converter such as C1 is a must.

For my landscape images I happily use my X-H2’s with great success, saying that while coming from Mamiya RZ with APO and ULD glass. I also appreciate the easier obtainable depth of field with an APS-C sensor. I’m referring to the diffraction-fstop-pixelpitch relationship, keeping focus stacking out of the equation here.

Cheers,
JaapD

Last edited:

rayyan

I generally prefer larger than APS-C sensors for landscapes and really like the X series for portraits.

In the past I’ve found files from the X1D, P1, etc more malleable than the Fuji X, which I appreciate for landscapes. Doesn’t mean the X system isn’t suitable for landscape just not a preference.

For portraits, I love the Fuji colors, and I’m not doing extensive edits. The bodies and lenses are also smaller and cheaper than the Nikon Z, MF, etc, the lenses render well, etc.

All that said I think we’ve more or less reached a point of singularity with digital cameras for most people’s uses. If one can’t do good landscape photography with the X series the camera is not the problem IMHO.

Here’s a recent waterfall pic I took with the X-T4. Handheld, stopped down to f22, less than ideal since I didn’t have a tripod or ND filters but the result is still what I was after. YMMV.

I know I might the weakest link. But it is what it is.
Best.

biglouis

Doesn't the answer also depend to some extent on where you live? I live pretty much in central London (give or take half a mile or so). My opportunity for landscape photography is somewhat limited. Most of my photography falls into two categories. Within London, it is mainly architecture and urban landscapes. When I do go out of London, mainly Hertfordshire and Essex, I am so weighed down with kit for bird and wildlife photography, lenses for 'countryside' landscapes are left behind.

This photograph which I called 'tear in the sky' is probably the closes to a landscape photograph I can take in London, at the top of Primrose Hill in Camden Town. Taken in 2020, with the X-T3 and XF16f1.4

_XSF2598-Edit.jpg

I probably take more urban landscape photos with my trusty Ricoh GRIII than I do with my Fuji kit.
_R006613.jpg