The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Large format in the time of digital photography.

dacruzphoto

I'm buying an 8x10 camera. I have great enthusiasm in making photography with such large negatives. I am very attracted by the result of these images. However, I am concerned about the future of this photographic material. In the time of digital photography, a question that occurs to me is how long will there continue to be film for these large format cameras. In my opinion, the best digital back does not replace a 4x5 format, let alone an 8x10.
I would like to read your opinion on this subject.

Well for now I will focus on taking photos with the 8x10 that I see with a good challenge. There is no space for the delete option.

anyone

This topic is discussed every now and then in large format forums. My take is, that film is again on the rise, with companies such as Intrepid offering an inexpensive and well-advertised way into large format. While these cameras are not my cup of tea, I appreciate that more people demand sheet film, and this will secure the offering in the future.

Another speculation is that the manufacturers of film already downsized their production to the new demand pattern of the digital age. I don't see that this demand will lower in the forthcoming years, on the contrary.

To sum up: I'm confident about it.

dacruzphoto

I see that there is a revival of analog photography. However, the supply of material, especially in Europe, seems low. When I search online for large format material, most of the material is in the USA.
There also seems to be some dynamics in Japan. But for example, I don't see Fuji 8x10 plates. Considering that Japan has a lot of photographers and also a lot of material to sell to the whole world, I find it strange that there is no more material.

JeRuFo

Ilford and Kodak have revitalized their LF film availability. Fuji has been a bit erratic in the last ten years, first killing off Velvia in LF formats, then keeping them on anyway but only in Japan and then after a lot of noise from LF shooters reintroducing it in the USA. If you want to shoot slide film, it can be hard to get in Europe and all colour film is hugely expensive. Shooting black and white is the only "affordable" way of shooting LF and is bound to stick around the longest. B&W film can be kept a long time and the developers are quite uncomplicated. But even color film is alive and well for now and probably will be around for quite a while still. Everything gets a little more expensive and a little harder to get the bigger you shoot.
As long as you have a good spot meter, there is no need for a delete option. I have had plenty of times where I only shot one sheet of film and still felt perfectly confident that I had the shot in the bag.

MartinN

I am not so sure about film availability, because Fuji have shown some hasted decisions in production, and nobody knows what their sudden decisions are. Color film is specialized and especially high end film like Velvia and Ektar are something that only Fuji and Kodak can manufacture. I have stocked up on film myself, so I am not hampered by some availability problems. However, I miss the Fuji FP100C that is not a sheet film, but was a convenient instant check for 4x5.

Paratom

I dont think film will die. Maybe become more expensive, because of lower production volumes. But there are too many people who love film.

lookbook

.. with the 8x10 format, the recording material is partly produced by the user, e.g. sensitized glass plates.
Large format cameras will still be around when digital cameras no longer exist.
:)

mitrajoon

I was at PhotoPlus last year in NYC and about 1/3 of the exhibits were film related. I believe 3 were selling new LF cameras and equipment. A vlogger (Nicos) on YouTube reviewed the status of LF. He found something like 30 manufacturers of LF cameras currently active. LF Film is also plentiful, within an increasingly narrow range of types. The big problem is that there are no manufacturers of lenses or shutters. As long as they're around and repairable LF is going to be OK.

Shashin

There also seems to be some dynamics in Japan. But for example, I don't see Fuji 8x10 plates. Considering that Japan has a lot of photographers and also a lot of material to sell to the whole world, I find it strange that there is no more material.
I am not surprised that 8x10 is not as popular in Japan (not that is has even been popular, at least since the early 20th century). There are a lot of cultural factors that make it less likely it would be taken up, just using public transportation to travel with large-format is one. I lived in Japan for 10 years and it is just very different. Still, Japan does have small groups of folks that are drawn to the extremes of photography--I know of one person that made an 8x10 astrophotography camera.

Fujifilm is a bit of a difficult spot. Film production has fallen so much that the economies have changed. I am sure the market and prices will be driven by demand.

250swb

Both Ilford and Kodak needed to adapt their production lines to make smaller quantities in short runs to make the sums work. It doesn't mean there isn't a healthy business by cutting back, but the days of pressing the button and 50,000 rolls of Tri-X coming out the other end are long gone, not least because there is a 'use by date' on the box. I think Fuji haven't yet adapted there production so until they stop making film and start again with a clean sheet they'll just keep cutting back. Fuji's instant film side is however booming which has to be encouraging because it keeps their eye on non-digital trends.

gmfotografie

LOL ... Two Weeks ago I put out my view camera and activate this baby again --- I can say it was a pleasure!
After all this digital fast-stuff. It is really inspiring to take picture with this format.
(( Also bought a Leica M6 in those two weeks o_O (for my wife: no - its my old camera, just with a new housing....))
I use: kodak portra 160, velvia50 and acros

and of course - 8x10 will come in the future - but first i will get experience with this baby --- 8x10 - than an arca f-classic

Attachments

DougDolde

"the best digital back does not replace a 4x5 format, let alone an 8x10."
Hardly true. Even a 50 megapixel back will outshine 4x5.

gmfotografie

Hi Doug, do you think so ...

oaky we have to say that we have to deal with an optimal situation ( no wind, film processing and so on...) but i will say that 8x10 has good chance to beat 150mp ... but no chance to beat a digital system for weight, buildup time and so on...

for me it is actually more interesting to spend half an hour (or more) for taking just one picture... it makes the process more satisfying ... more intense. i like this...

anyone

I can relate to that. For the sizes I print, the discussion is not so relevant, which system is actually better. Almost all of my cameras are able to deliver very decent prints up to 1m. But the process is important to me, and large format with its slow workflow is appealing. Would love to try 8x10.

DougDolde

Hi Doug, do you think so ...
I do think so. I have shot 4x5 in the past and in my view it's seriously inferior to medium format digital. I remember when Michael Reichmann and Charlie Cramer tested 4x5 against an Aptus 75 and a Phase One P45. They declared them pretty much equal.

Phase V

Just took a look a the comparison test; the 23mm Digaron is fine but nowhere as sharp as let´s say the 90mm.
The new 138mm Digaron will leave everything behing in terms of resolution. You can very easy make a stitch
with these lenses and get 2 or 3 times the resolution. Things will look quite differnet then.