The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Elmarit-S 45mm f2.8 or Zeiss Distagon 45mm f2.8?

Duff photographer

Howdo,

I'd like to tap into the experiences of those who have used both the Leica Elmarit-S 45mm f2.8 and the Zeiss Distagon 45mm f2.8 (for the Contax 645), on the Leica S cameras.

Both are excellent lenses, but what are your thoughts on any differences in image quality (e.g., aberrations, rendering, etc.), if any at all?

Cheers,
Duff.

epforever

I haven't used both, but I have the Leica S 45mm, and it's one of the best lenses I've ever used. Sharp corner to corner wide open. Beautiful rendering. Negligible distortion. It's a much newer design than the Contax (one of the latest in the S lineup), so I would imagine it has fewer aberrations, haziness around the edges wide open, etc. I honestly have seen zero flaws in it. (It's a bit big and heavy, but if you're used to medium format, it's par for the course.) Attaching a couple of samples here, both shot with the S3.

Attachments