The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL2 vs M10 with M lenses

JoelM

I have Leica film cameras and want to get a digital one. I was assuming the M10 or 10-P would be my choice, though the 10-R is now out and about, but the SL2 has peaked my interest. Can the SL2 keep up with the M10 series while only using M lenses?

Thanks,
Joel

SrMphoto

SL2 is second only to M cameras when mounting M-lenses. Some M lenses very well, some less well on SL2. Sean Reid (reidreviews.com) has extensively tested various M lenses on M and SL/SL2 cameras.
Many are using SL2 as an M-with-EVF.

LCL999

I have Leica film cameras and want to get a digital one. I was assuming the M10 or 10-P would be my choice, though the 10-R is now out and about, but the SL2 has peaked my interest. Can the SL2 keep up with the M10 series while only using M lenses?

Thanks,
Joel
Hi Joel
I have used both the SL and the M10. As I always had an M-series camera, right back to 1968 and my original M-4, I found the M10 just so much easier to use. For me, SL with L-mount lenses is both heavy and complex. I can manually focus the rangefinder faster than the AF on the SL. I have tried the SL with the M-adapter and M-lenses. At least it's a lot lighter. The EV focussing is the same as using the Visoflex on the M10. Perhaps as I become more familiar with the SL I may like it more, but I doubt it will ever becaome an extension of my body as the M10 is.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Things to consider :

What lenses are your favorites and use the most ? The M series is better with the wide angles thru the 50MM . It can be faster to use and produces better IQ on the edges due to the sensor micro prisms . The SL produces similar IQ on lenses above 50MM and can be easier to focus accurately (using a magnified EVF).

How often do you want to shoot a wide apertures ? The SL is notably easier to use with the Noctilux lenses when shooting wide open .

How important is size ,weight and feel (ergonomics) in your choice ? To an experienced M user nothing matches the handling of an M body . The SL is noticeably bulkier ,heavier . I never use my Sl2 bodies for street shooting because they are too heavy and visible .

Do you plan to primarily use manual M lenses or would you appreciate being able to use a wide variety of other manufacture lenses with adapters ? The SL is a versatile tool ..you can easily adapt M,R or S Leica lenses or use SL,Panasonic of Sigma AF .

Knowing nothing about your intended type of photography or your price sensitivity ..its hard to advise . If you prefer landscape ..definitely the SL2 ...if you favor street/travel definitely the M10 .

I have and use all your options both M and SL systems .

250swb

The key consideration is that for critical focus with the SL using anything other than wide open apertures you will always need to open the lens wide and then stop down again if you use focus peaking, otherwise DOF turns the screen red (or whatever colour you choose) because it thinks every edge is contrasty enough to count. And using it without focus peaking you will probably have to zoom in and use judgement. All this is much slower that the YES/NO of a rangefinder.

geotrupede

for the SL 1, so far the simplest way to focus is to zoom in (press the little joystick) then focus and when done press shutter to zoom out. no use of the assist for me.
zooming works well with f 1 aperture lenses, in fact it allows a more certain result than with the M and one can recompose. but it is slow.
for general focusing, the rangefinder is much easier, and faster as you need to press just the shutter when done. but for f1 it is a bit of a lottery.
G.

Paratom

Check them out, what works better for you. They feel quite different in use. The M gives you this analog direct feel and conection to the subject, the SL gives you the more precise focusing (for lenses >50mm) and framing and exposure. For manual focus my choise would be the M and for AF my choise would be the SL system. I really recommend checking both cameras in hand before making a decission.