The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lenses for 8x10

gasmag

Hello: Welcome to the crazy world of 8x10!!!!!!!!
I am no expert but this is my advice to you based on the knowledge acquired after screwing up a lot over the last 3 years.
If you are going to do studio work a 300mm or a 250mm will suffice.
The budget is important, unless you are going to by an 8x10 enlarger, you should go for the cheap lenses: Nikon Q 300mm is a wonderful lens that weighs nothing and is super sharp. The Fuji A 240mm is also a great lens and reasonably priced.
If you are going to be out in the wilderness then I would limit my lenses to a 240, 300 and 450 to start with, after several years you can then buy more if you really feel you need more.
If you like wide angle and can afford it, a Schneider XL 150 is the ultimate and best of all the wides, although the XL110 does cover too but with the corners not well delineated and best used with a center filter but the results will amaze you.
Good luck to you and enjoy, a one lens outfit is great to learn, do not go crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gaston,