The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for some super telephoto help

Greg Haag

I am looking for a super telephoto option for my GFX but it could be an XF. I am wanting a minimum of 400mm, but I would prefer in the 600mm range, I am not sure what my options are. I am assuming it will be some type of adapted lens.
Thanks in advance!
Greg

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
A Zeiss 350/5.6 Superachromat with either APO 1.4x or regular 2x will be sharp as either a 490/8 or a 700/11. I’ve only tried a few cheaper alternatives. The Pentax 67 400/4 ED-IF needs to be stopped down a bit and is twice the weight of the Zeiss. The 300/4 ED-IF with an extender or two is also a possibility. It’s inexpensive and reasonably light. There are MAMIYA and Pentax 645 telephotos that I haven’t tried.
OTOH, the GF 250/4 with extender is an amazing lens, if shorter than you’re asking about.

The XF 100-400 is also very good. I haven’t tried the 150-600. This building was between 1 and 2 miles away. X-H1, tight crop, hand held!9F786D4E-6EBC-4EEA-8CE3-A830BDD55118.jpeg

Last edited:

Shashin

Pentax made a 600mm f/5.6 lens for their 645 medium-format line. It is a monster. It you search GetDPI, especially Tom's (tsjanik) posts (he uses/has used this lens) you can get a better idea about using this.

MGrayson

Pentax made a 600mm f/5.6 lens for their 645 medium-format line. It is a monster. It you search GetDPI, especially Tom's (tsjanik) posts (he uses/has used this lens) you can get a better idea about using this.
And there’s the 800/6.7 Pentax 67, not to mention the monumental 800/4. Two tripods minimum - 40 lbs and not even a very good lens. But that’s a 20cm aperture!

DNN

The 600 f5.6 Pentax-A ED IF lens for 645 Medium format works surprisingly well with an adapter on the GFX100. That 600mm Pentax 645 lens is fully manual with surprisingly good glass. If you can find them, there is also a 1.4x and 2x 645 Pentax teleconverter. I have only tried the 1.4x on the GFX100e/Pentax 600mm. I only tried it a couple of times up in the Palouse to compress the Loess Hills, as I usually use the Arca Rm3di/IQ4 150 back for scenic work (and there is no real long lens beyond the 180 or 210 Sironar-S.) For wildlife, I use the Sony A1 with 600mm and 400mm lenses (but these vignette when adapted on the GFx100, so that's a nogo.).

DNN

And there’s the 800/6.7 Pentax 67, not to mention the monumental 800/4. Two tripods minimum - 40 lbs and not even a very good lens. But that’s a 20cm aperture!
I had one of these which I adapted to the Pentax 645 (before GFX was available). While OK for film, its soft for even the Pentax 645 (does not focus sharp- a little mushy. worked will on Pentax 6x7 film cameras though.

Steve Hendrix

I am looking for a super telephoto option for my GFX but it could be an XF. I am wanting a minimum of 400mm, but I would prefer in the 600mm range, I am not sure what my options are. I am assuming it will be some type of adapted lens.
Thanks in advance!
Greg
Greg, you could consider the Hasselblad 300mm + 1.7x Tele Converter, which gets you to 510mm. You would need the Fuji H to GFX Lens Adapter.

https://digitalback.com/collections/hasselblad-pre-owned/products/hasselblad-hc-300mm-f-4-5-lens-pre-owned-1

The Adapter is a little pricey - $659. And we don't have a pre-owned 1.7x TC in our inventory at the moment, but we usually sell them for around $400. Maybe more than you want to invest. You could adapt a long Cannon lens, if you don't mind cutting your corners off, but that wouldn't be cheap either.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Greg Haag

The 600 f5.6 Pentax-A ED IF lens for 645 Medium format works surprisingly well with an adapter on the GFX100. That 600mm Pentax 645 lens is fully manual with surprisingly good glass. If you can find them, there is also a 1.4x and 2x 645 Pentax teleconverter. I have only tried the 1.4x on the GFX100e/Pentax 600mm. I only tried it a couple of times up in the Palouse to compress the Loess Hills, as I usually use the Arca Rm3di/IQ4 150 back for scenic work (and there is no real long lens beyond the 180 or 210 Sironar-S.) For wildlife, I use the Sony A1 with 600mm and 400mm lenses (but these vignette when adapted on the GFx100, so that's a nogo.).
I find this option interesting, how did you find the image quality with the 1.4x added?

Greg Haag

Greg, you could consider the Hasselblad 300mm + 1.7x Tele Converter, which gets you to 510mm. You would need the Fuji H to GFX Lens Adapter.

https://digitalback.com/collections/hasselblad-pre-owned/products/hasselblad-hc-300mm-f-4-5-lens-pre-owned-1

The Adapter is a little pricey - $659. And we don't have a pre-owned 1.7x TC in our inventory at the moment, but we usually sell them for around $400. Maybe more than you want to invest. You could adapt a long Cannon lens, if you don't mind cutting your corners off, but that wouldn't be cheap either.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Well the good news here Steve is I already own the H to GFX Lens Adapter, I have a lot of HC glass. I wonder what the loss of quality would be if you stacked 2 of the 1.7 adapters, or is that even an option?

DNN

"I find this option interesting, how did you find the image quality with the 1.4x added? "

RE: Pretty good, but not as good as just the 600mm by itself. But still pretty good

Steve Hendrix

Well the good news here Steve is I already own the H to GFX Lens Adapter, I have a lot of HC glass. I wonder what the loss of quality would be if you stacked 2 of the 1.7 adapters, or is that even an option?

Jeepers, I've never thought about stacking them. I guess you can (my Google search tells me) but my sense is the addition of 2 sets of optics to the original optic might produce lackluster results.

Steve Hendrix/CI

MGrayson

I try very hard to forget that that exists. Then I recall that it’s even heavier than the 67’s 400/4

Steve Hendrix/CI
It still strikes me as weird that there are Hasselblad lenses that will work on almost any camera except the latest Hasselblad.

Steve Hendrix

I try very hard to forget that that exists. Then I recall that it’s even heavier than the 67’s 400/4

It still strikes me as weird that there are Hasselblad lenses that will work on almost any camera except the latest Hasselblad.

Wait - they work, Matt. XH adapter.

Steve Hendrix/CI

MGrayson

Wait - they work, Matt. XH adapter.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve,
I thought only the orange dot versions, with a few exceptions, worked in the X bodies. An HC 300 needs the dot, I believe. The 150/3.2 N definitely does. The 100/2.2 doesn’t. Only NON-orange dot HC lenses work on the Leica S.

I think…. If I’m wrong and an older 300/4.5 would work on the X2D… that could be bad. I liked that lens on the S, but sold it in favor of the 350/5.6 SA.

Steve Hendrix

Steve,
I thought only the orange dot versions, with a few exceptions, worked in the X bodies. An HC 300 needs the dot, I believe. The 150/3.2 N definitely does. The 100/2.2 doesn’t. Only NON-orange dot HC lenses work on the Leica S.

I think…. If I’m wrong and an older 300/4.5 would work on the X2D… that could be bad. I liked that lens on the S, but sold it in favor of the 350/5.6 SA.
Oh! I could be wrong. I know that both non orange dot and orange dot work on the Fuji GFX. If the non orange dots do not work on the X1D/X2D, that's a bummer. But .... I think they do, they just don't auto focus unless they are orange dot.

Steve Hendrix/CI

MGrayson

Oh! I could be wrong. I know that both non orange dot and orange dot work on the Fuji GFX. If the non orange dots do not work on the X1D/X2D, that's a bummer. But .... I think they do, they just don't auto focus unless they are orange dot.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Yeah, sorry for hijacking the thread. Greg’s question was specifically about Fuji. And my lens budget is blown for the next (looks at watch) 6 hours at least!

DNN

Info on the Pentax 645 600mm: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-Star-645-600mm-F5.6-Lens.html
Lots of love for this lens in these reviews.

FYI, the Pentax Forum is a great site for all things Pentax. For example, from the statistics about the lens I discovered that Greg should probably hire someone to carry the lens for him, because it weighs 4.8 kg! ;)
It comes with a heavy aluminum box and a 1.4x. Its definitely a lens that you use next to a vehicle for support. ;-) or with a sherpa.

Greg Haag