The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loss of Fire Wire support on Mac OS Big Sur update

Hasslebad

I had heard that Big Sur stopped supporting Firewire. I have a MacBook Pro running Mac OS Catalina and Capture One Pro 20 that tethers to a P25. After the upgrade to Big Sur, connecting the digital back causes the computer to kernel panic.
I do have another Mac that still tethers fortunately. But I can say through personal experience on equipment that used to tether via Firewire that Big Sur no longer supports Firewire (even through Thunderbolt).

My experience also after upgrading to Big Sur. I now have a dedicated MacBook Pro with Catalina and C1 20 also. Seems to me C1 2021 still handles thunderbolt up to through the second version but 2020 was a safer bet.

JoelM

I'm not sure if this is the same, but I connected my Nikon LS9000 FW scanner to USBc (Thunderbolt) on my new iMac that is running Big Sur. It works perfectly.
Joel