The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lower cost digital backs for 501 and 503 Hasselblad bodies

GeorgeLG

What are my options for older, less expensive digital backs for my older V series bodies, both Hasselblad brand or third party?

Thanks,

George

Hasslebad

Phase One H20, P20, 25, 45, 65, IQ140, IQ160, IQ260 work with the V series camera bodies. The earlier models that I list are cheaper. From Hasselblad, the CFV-16 is a lower cost back that works with the V series bodies.

GeorgeLG

Thank you. What are the software/computer considerations? IOW do I need an older operating system or software to manage these files? I am windows only mostly Windows 10 but I have kept one WXP system around.. Thanks,

George

GeorgeLG

Are there any cautions, guidelines, things to avoid when buying a used Phase one digital back for my V series 501 and 503 bodies using windows 10?

Thanks,

George

MartinN

Phase One H20 is tethered to Firewire 400 Macbook. Not recommended. All Phase One P series tether to Macbook with Firewire 400, but can of course use CF cards. All P series are End of Life, ie, Phase One or some other company will likely NEVER service them. If they are broken, they are thrash. Windows laptops very seldom have any possibility for Firewire 400, but you may not need that. All H, P, IQ series back work with Capture One DB that is free for owners, I recommend Capture One 12 .. Capture One 6 depending on computer power.

MartinN

BTW an used MacBook with Firewire 400 ( powered) is a good buy, when dealing with old backs and Capture One 6.

itsdoable

As mentioned, the P backs are old and end of life - just like the V bodies you plan to use them on. So live with it. Make sure it works properly before you buy it. That is why they are "affordable".

I would not run them tethered, use a CF card (which are also end of life, and not made any more, but there is still a good NOS supply available). If you want tethered, I'd buy something newer. But if you can find a working firewire400 card, you can run most modern Linux OS's to connect (if you can find compatible software...). Or find an old Apple (again EoL).

The older P backs (ie: non+) may show more lens cast as the CFA deteriorates - they usually use organic dyes, and are not immune to fading as they age. You can correct that with a Lens Cast Correction.

FloatingLens

In the end, I think, the output files conform to the TIFF file format with proprietary extensions used. Of course, it makes sense to use the original vendor's software for RAW development: Capture One.

Last edited:

Pieter 12

They are much less expensive than when they were new, but you are gambling on the outcome. Older backs are no longer supported by the manufacturers and will most likely be doorstops if anything goes wrong--or sometimes even if all you need is a new battery.

Hasslebad

I recommend using Capture One Pro for any of the Phase One products. Like Martin said the P series is end of life and is not supported. The H series is definitely not supported but they are so cheap online because you have to tether. The CF cards, even, are hard to get. The early P backs have CF storage limits, e.g stay below 16GB or 32GB. You have to look it up for the particular back.

Some of us like the look of the older backs that have 9um pixels. You can take a look at the Fat Pixel thread. Steve Hendrix did a comparison between a P25 (9um) vs an IQ160 (6um). It is probably the best comparison of a fat pixel back out there. He’ll give you the raw files to compare.

If you have the money and want the convenience, go for the IQ backs. Phase still supports them, I believe. They can also use USB (and Firewire) but please someone correct me if I’m wrong. Also the screen of the P series backs are terrible. You can’t really tell if your image is in focus. The histogram feature is useful though. The IQs have a usable display.

In terms of computers. Most of these backs require Firewire except for the IQ ones. However the IQ doesn’t power on USB but they do on Firewire.

If you do end up going for a P back (the IQ ones for a V mount are harder to come by), you can get a Sonnet Thunderbolt chassis that accepts Firewire cards. That’s what Phase One recommended when I asked several years ago. Sonnet recently stopped selling the Firewire cards but they show up on eBay now and again.

The bad news, I believe Windows 10 does not support Firewire. My MacBook stopped supporting FireWire after I updated to MacOS Monterey. Even Capture One Pro 21 stopped supporting Firewire. As Martin suggested, you are better off buying an old Firewire MacBook, running pre Monterrey and running Capture One Pro 20 or lower.

Pieter 12

It’s not tethered, but when I need to get a better look, I just pull the CF card and pop it in a USB C card reader attached to a MacBook Air with Capture One.

Ben730

P+ backs are built like tanks, normally they don't break and they don't need service.
I still have a P25+ and had a P40+ and they never had problems.
You can still buy new CF Cards and the batteries are still the same as in the newer Phase One backs.
Tethered shooting with firewire isn't possible with newer Mac's.
With the 40 MP it is a little bit difficult to focus on a Hasselblad V, that's why I recommend the 25 MP backs.
The files are great and very robust for post production.
You can work very easy with them in Capture One.
My 2 cents,

MartinN

P+ backs are built like tanks, normally they don't break and they don't need service.
I still have a P25+ and had a P40+ and they never had problems.
You can still buy new CF Cards and the batteries are still the same as in the newer Phase One backs.
Tethered shooting with firewire isn't possible with newer Mac's.
With the 40 MP it is a little bit difficult to focus on a Hasselblad V, that's why I recommend the 25 MP backs.
The files are great and very robust for post production.
You can work very easy with them in Capture One.
My 2 cents,
Then, a V mount back is of course not only usable on Hasselblad V, it gives many options. Technical cameras and Mamiya RZ are good alternatives, for example. And there were also Leaf Aptus V mount backs, but I have not seen any advertised.

However, when and if there will be a CFV-100, immediately there will also be a lot of used CFV-50 on the market.

huyu

i'm using P40+ on my 500cm and it works like champ, never had problems with it. the only thing is the view on 500cm is not great as my rz67 so sometime I swap them, they are both great joy to use. Those P series V mount pop up somewhere around $2.8-3k?

GeorgeLG

I am seriously considering a P25 or P45 back. Some questions:

1) Can somebody school me on the shot count on these used backs? Is there a maximum I should stick too?

2) I think I understand that in order to manage the resultant Phase One RAW files I need to use Capture One, Version 12 on my Windows 10 computer with a CF card reader at a cost of $300. Is that correct?

George

MartinN

1. Shot count is somewhat unimportant with digital backs

2. Capture One 12 is ’free’ and not even demo when started in DB mode. It has full features, but can only open Phase One and certain Leaf Aptus / Credo raw files. A CF card and reader is required.

Last edited: